Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC/MMA Gambling. **NO AFTER-TIMING**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Axwell wrote: »
    :confused:

But Glover was the favourite, his price reflected that. Bad price is a bad price, but Davis was 5/2 because he wasnt expected to win. Dont see why anyone would bet on a fighter they think is going to lose because he has better odds. If you are having a punt just based on odds and a nice multiple sure, but if you are basing it on the fighters and performance etc most would have bet on Glover.

I'm glad I done my bet before coming on here or I might have changed my mind! I can't stand Phil Davis but I thought he would do what I've seen him do in other fights and thankfully(for me) he did. I don't always bet on UFC because odds generally are not great so its hard to find value but v.happy with my 1st win in a wee while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Scratching my head now as to why I picked Glover. He's a one trick pony and not a very good one at that. A poor man's LHW Shane Carwin.

Can't gamble to save my life, though sometimes I put my picks on twitter for fun without betting. Of course those nights I can pick every fight ffs!

Was also stupid putting Ferriera in when he was a short notice replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

John_D80 wrote: »
    Obviously as a single there was no value in in him but In fairness Teixera was a big favourite here (not just on paper either) and including him in a multiple made a lot of sense to increase a payout. He would have been the anchor on a lot of accumulators over the weekend and would have increased value for these bets. Not massively but he would have.
    If there was no value in the single bet, then you can't create value by putting it in a multi. That's basic maths behind betting.
    I think you are confusing adding value with increasing payout.
    :confused:

But Glover was the favourite, his price reflected that. Bad price is a bad price, but Davis was 5/2 because he wasn't expected to win.
    I appreciated that its a confusing concept. It can sound counterintutive, but its a pretty important concept.
    I'm aware Glover was the favourite. That's not irrelevant.
    Being a bad price has nothing to do with being short odds, I'm saying he was a bad price because it was a negative value bet.

A short odds bet, can just as easily represent good value as bad.
    Don't see why anyone would bet on a fighter they think is going to lose because he has better odds. If you are having a punt just based on odds and a nice multiple sure, but if you are basing it on the fighters and performance etc most would have bet on Glover.
    I think you are misunderstanding. I didn't back Davis just because he was a better price. I backed him because I felt he chances of winning were better than the bookies gave him credit for.

I agreed that Teixeira was the rightful favourite.
    What did you think his chances of winning were? That's the key info you need to look at. I had it at 55%/45% in favour of Teixeira.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mellor wrote: »
    If there was no value in the single bet, then you can't create value by putting it in a multi. That's basic maths behind betting.
    I think you are confusing adding value with increasing payout.

No, certainly not. And from reading back my own posts, I find it difficult to see how you came to this conclusion. You were the one who brought up the 'value', whereas my point all along was that, I believed most bets on Teixera were part of multiples. He was as safe a bet as you were going to find on that card and many people backed him for a higher payout on their multiples.

You were surprised that so many people were backing Teixera and this was the the reason I offered as a possibility as to why this was the case. It was just my opinion. I never disputed that there was little to no value in betting on Teixera as a stand alone wager.

No, certainly not. And from reading back my own posts, I find it difficult to see how you came to this conclusion
    It was due to the fact you said this;
    He would have been the anchor on a lot of accumulators over the weekend and would have increased value for these bets.
    He would have increased the payout, if he won, of course. That's not the same as increasing the value. If there's no value in him as a single (which you agree with), then adding him to a multi doesn't increase the value.
    I believed most bets on Teixera were part of multiples. He was as safe a bet as you were going to find on that card and many people backed him for a higher payout on their multiples.
    That might be the reason, but it doesn't change what I am saying regarding value.

I think confusion comes from idea of value here. To clarify, "value" in a betting sense, means the expected value of a bet in the long run, or on average. A bet has either a positive or negative expected value.

It's a lot easier explain with numbers/money. As I asked Aswel above, what did you think Teixeria's chance of winning was?

• Advertisement

So you're saying that adding Teixera to a multiple would not have increased the value of that bet??

So you're saying that adding Teixera to a multiple would not have increased the value of that bet??
    It would increase the payout, obviously, as any bet would.
    But it doesn't increase the expected value of the bet, if its price doesn't represent value on its own.

It's much easier to highlight this with numbers rather than words.
    What did you think each guys chances were pre-fight?
    (I could use my own 55/45%, but people have a different opinions)

It would increase the payout, obviously, as any bet would.
    But it doesn't increase the expected value of the bet, if its price doesn't represent value on its own.

It's much easier to highlight this with numbers rather than words.
    What did you think each guys chances were pre-fight?
    (I could use my own 55/45%, but people have a different opinions)

I don't need a lesson in recognising what's right in front of my face thanks. I've been betting on sports long enough to understand the concept. Adding Teixera to a multiple would have increased value (small as it is) in THAT particular multiple. To say otherwise just doesn't make sense.

You were suprised at the amount of money/bets going in on Teixera when he was priced so short. I merely offered a POSSIBLE explanation for you. Sorry I bothered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I don't need a lesson in recognising what's right in front of my face thanks. I've been betting on sports long enough to understand the concept. Adding Teixera to a multiple would have increased value (small as it is) in THAT particular multiple. To say otherwise just doesn't make sense.

You were suprised at the amount of money/bets going in on Teixera when he was priced so short. I merely offered a POSSIBLE explanation for you. Sorry I bothered now.

FYP:
    Ive been backng other peoples tips in the horseracing tipping thread long enough to understand the concept

I've no idea how you can say you understand the concept, then say he adds value to the multiple.

Enlighten me so. How does a -EV single add value to a multiple? Because I'm missing sonething.

We should be able to have a intelligent discussion on gambling without it turning into nonsense. I stopped posting on the gambling forum because on that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I've no idea how you can say you understand the concept, then say he adds value to the multiple.

Enlighten me so. How does a -EV single add value to a multiple? Because I'm missing sonething.

We should be able to have a intelligent discussion on gambling without it turning into nonsense. I stopped posting on the gambling forum because on that sort of thing.

I think this is the bit that's going over his head. Net value vs. Expected value appear to be the same thing :confused::confused:

Lol I see you've brought out the heavies now. Haha.

@califano: fyi 90% of what's tipped in the horse racing tips thread is absolute dirt. I bet very little on horse racing by comparison to other sports actually. You know SFA about me. Would appreciate you not deliberately misquoting me in future. Thank you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I agreed that Teixeira was the rightful favourite.
    What did you think his chances of winning were? That's the key info you need to look at. I had it at 55%/45% in favour of Teixeira.

Hey, just seeing this now was away over the weekend. I get what you are saying but I guess this point above is where we differ. I would have given the fight to Glover beforehand at easily 60/40 to Glover to win it so didnt see any value in Davis as I just didnt see him winning it at all. I dont really rate him to be honest, I dont really rate either of them that highly when it comes to it but I felt Glover had this one easy enough. Of course Davis had a good gameplan and **** all over that but there ya go, thats gambling on UFC for ya. Cant get a break as of late, need to reduce my bets to smaller multiples where I am confident enough of the outcome. Been putting trebles and 4 bet accumulators on lately on some of the cards and theres always one fighter letting me down that should have won. Gunni shafted me a few weeks back for example.

I guess this point above is where we differ. I would have given the fight to Glover beforehand at easily 60/40 to Glover to win it so didnt see any value in Davis as I just didnt see him winning it at all.
    Thanks for the reply. We differ on our opinion of each fighters chances, but that's fine of course.

The just of my think was;
    Glover was 1/3, in order to show a profit he'd need to win >3 out of 4 times. Or 75%
    Davis was 5/2, he only needs to >2 out of 7 times. Which is 29%.

So even at 60% you said, Glover doesn't win enough. But Davis does.
    And that's why I was happy to bet on Davis even though I thought Glover would more likely win.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

went with this double at 17/10

silva to beat brenneman
    mc call to beat linekar

happy to oppose brenneman who doesnt belong in the ufc imo
    mc call will have a big speed advantage of lineker who wont have much success unless it turns into a slugfest, mc call too smart for that
    should be a good fight though

struggling with rockhold...dec or ko
    both couldve been backed at 9/4 midweek so the value on on the ko long gone

single on pearson also at 8/11 (boyles)

that price is wrong imo, really think pearson is a league above iaquinta here

surely I can't get this one wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Iaquinta, Bisping and Lineker as an outside treble. €10 wins €250ish.

That's a bet I tried to place. If it happens, fcuk unibet.

mailburner wrote: »
    single on pearson also at 8/11 (boyles)

that price is wrong imo, really think pearson is a league above iaquinta here

surely I can't get this one wrong

may as well stick to just watching this sport :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

mailburner wrote: »
    may as well stick to just watching this sport :(

Think quite a few people would have lost money on Pearson. Even after watching the fight I still think 8/11 are good odds :D;) If he's similar odds next fight lump on him, he'll bounce back

Devastator wrote: »
    Think quite a few people would have lost money on Pearson. Even after watching the fight I still think 8/11 are good odds :D;) If he's similar odds next fight lump on him, he'll bounce back

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Bermudez and Gastelum are both coming in as favourites on Best Fight Odds.

Think a double on Ellenberger/Lamas is a MASSIVE bargain at 5/1

Locomotion wrote: »
    Bermudez and Gastelum are both coming in as favourites on Best Fight Odds.

Think a double on Ellenberger/Lamas is a MASSIVE bargain at 5/1

How does Ellenberger win that fight? Can't see it.

How does Ellenberger win that fight? Can't see it.

struggling to make a case for him also
    he's one to avoid and has been for a while, gastelum a fighter on the up
    along with bermudez

the double of gast and bermudez looks pretty good to me at 6/4

I wouldn't go near Ellenburger in this one, not when it's in Mexico.

Lamas v Bermudez for me is a 50/50 fight. So I'm leaning towards Lamas at 6/5. FWIW, he's half mexican.
    If you get on early, the line could move here imo.

Edit: A double on Lamas, Gastelum pays 10/3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wouldnt touch Ellenberger with a barge pole either, Kelvin has this all day long imo. Hes been slowly but surely getting the Ws and going slightly under the radar. Decent double Mellor but imo the Lamas/Bermudez fight is way to close to call. Wouldnt chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Tito opened as -175 favourite over Bonnar (+135).

took the gastelum bermudez double,works out best at almost 6/4 boyles

confident of gast, think bermudez maybe by dec but close one, surely goes three tho

both by dec also at 7.2 (888)

accum @ 5.85
    werdum
    gastelum
    tito
    king mo
    manhoef
    888 sport

gl to all, could do with some myself

Why can't I find MOV for the Tito Bonnar fight!! Tito by Sub!

Why can't I find MOV for the Tito Bonnar fight!! Tito by Sub!

only betvic doing mov, usually most dont do this for bellator events

12/1
    hope you have a betvic ac

http://www.oddschecker.com/ufc-mma/tito-ortiz-v-stephan-bonnar/method-of-victory

• Advertisement

Nice one a worthy bet for opening a new account!

Advertisement