Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpaid bills in another country.

• 28-10-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all I know I should probably post in the Canada section for this but I'll try here first.

Has anyone left outstanding bills in another country? (Not Australia)

I left a phone bill in Canada 3 years ago roughly $200 I couldn't afford to pay it at the time. I was on a contract phone (don't ask me why) my residing address was a hostel that I gave them and I can't remember what ID I used. Anyway now once a year I get a msg from the hostel to say there is a letter for me (from the phone company) What could possibly happen?

I was able to get a bill phone in Australia no problem I always pay bills etc it was just that one that I wouldn't afford. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I know I should have paid it and not been so stupid so please don't give me smart answers just advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

me that's why I asked

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

niva*sis wrote: »
    What could possibly happen?

Nothing :)

As long as you don't go back to Canada at least.

But why worry yourself? Why not just contact the phone company in Canada and pay what you owe them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

unkel wrote: »
    Nothing :)

As long as you don't go back to Canada at least.

But why worry yourself? Why not just contact the phone company in Canada and pay what you owe them?
    I know a woman that was summoned to court in the US for having no train ticket 4 years ago, she never attended and came home. She went back for a month this summer and heard nothing. I thought they would have cops swarming the airport to arrest her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye, unlikely that anything bad would happen even if the OP would go back to Canada. It's not like they are wanted for murder or anything :D

That said, I don't understand why the OP wouldn't just pay up. Do the right thing. Pay what you owe. Problem solved. Bad karma avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I got a speeding fine in a rental car when I was in NZ on holidays. I lost the fine that was handed to me at the time but I assumed they'd follow up with the rental company. They never did (or at least nothing was ever sent to me since) and I've been back to NZ since with no problems. I wouldn't stress about it OP, but if you're worried, just contact the company and pay it.

Thanks all, I would have no problem paying it these days as I have the money, however, I would be worried as it 3 years later and im sure the bill has gone up a LOT since then not to mention if there was a court summons in there anywhere.

@Unkel, like I said if I had the finances at the time I would have paid.

Will this affect my rating if I ever needed anything in oz or Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

It is a small amount, if you used the service and owe the money you should pay it. It is clearly worrying you to some extent, ring them and ask them if they will take an offer.

I got an old bill for council tax from the UK, I rang them and the guy wrote it off as it was over 7 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know a woman that was summoned to court in the US for having no train ticket 4 years ago, she never attended and came home. She went back for a month this summer and heard nothing. I thought they would have cops swarming the airport to arrest her :)

She'd have to go back to the same state for that to be a problem, I doubt not paying for a train ticket is a federal offence. And even if she did go back she'd have to bring herself to the attention of law enforcement to be caught I would imagine.

As for the bill in Canada, nothing will come of it OP, your credit rating in Canada will be horrible, but that's about the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's very unlikely that anything will happen. It's not like a court fine or similar; it's a private debt between niva*sis and his (her?) former phone service provider. It's up to the phone company how hard they want to chase this but realistically their options are very limited and apart from sending a reminder letter once a year to his last known address there is a limit to how much they will spend on court proceedings, enforcement of judgments, etc for the amount of $200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i done the exact same thing but i owed 700 to fido.feck them as there robbin bastards anyway. they ripped me off big time durin my stay in canada so i decied to take my revenge and make plenty of drunken phone calls to ireland haha.you worry too much op.charging to recieve a text message or a call feckin bandits. this was 4 years ago I haven't heard a thing

i done the exact same thing but i owed 700 to fido.feck them as there robbin bastards anyway. they ripped me off big time durin my stay in canada so i decied to take my revenge and make plenty of drunken phone calls to ireland haha.you worry too much op.charging to recieve a text message or a call feckin bandits. this was 4 years ago I haven't heard a thing

What ID did you use to open your Fido account? I just cant remember what id I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭con___manx1

niva*sis wrote: »
    What ID did you use to open your Fido account? I just cant remember what id I used.
    I used my passport. they wont bother chasing you for 200 dollars.
    what network were you on. rodgers? there all so expensive over there

I used my passport. they wont bother chasing you for 200 dollars.
    what network were you on. rodgers? there all so expensive over there

no I was fido aswell, I would just be worried if the credit rating would affect Australia or Ireland.

Advertisement