Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage sanctioned in principle

• 12-09-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for some help here from people that know the mortgage process! I applied for a mortgage and just got sanctioned in principle for the amount today. It was with AIB. I'm just wondering what this really means and has anyone had difficulties even after getting this, is this the term they use for 'approved' or is it something else.
    Very grateful for advice on this thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi all,
    Looking for some help here from people that know the mortgage process! I applied for a mortgage and just got sanctioned in principle for the amount today. It was with AIB. I'm just wondering what this really means and has anyone had difficulties even after getting this, is this the term they use for 'approved' or is it something else.
    Very grateful for advice on this thanks!

Its basically approval. AIB appear to use term sanction but it means you have a been approved for certain amount based on info provided. Essentially you can then bid and need valuation of property before mortgage is approved completely depending on how much info was needed for application at the start.

Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭millionmystery

chris85 wrote: »
    Its basically approval. AIB appear to use term sanction but it means you have a been approved for certain amount based on info provided. Essentially you can then bid and need valuation of property before mortgage is approved completely depending on how much info was needed for application at the start.

Good luck with the search!

Thanks for your reply Chris, it's very helpful. Just one thing, do I need to supply the bank anything else (apart from valuation report) or is this application complete at this stage? Nearly afraid to look at any house in case the bank pulls out!! This is my first time getting a mortgage so tge whole phrasing of it 'sanction in principle' is sort of throwing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Thanks for your reply Chris, it's very helpful. Just one thing, do I need to supply the bank anything else (apart from valuation report) or is this application complete at this stage? Nearly afraid to look at any house in case the bank pulls out!! This is my first time getting a mortgage so tge whole phrasing of it 'sanction in principle' is sort of throwing me!

Nothing is 100% until you get loan offer to sign before signing for the house but its as good as you can get at this stage. If really old house they may want a building survey done also.

Advertisement