Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE launch Limerick-Dublin-DUB express

• 12-04-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭

Who should be more worried, IE or Shannon Airport?

Timetable not updated yet, or even the Airport service page.

New more direct service from Limerick to Dublin Airport and Dublin City
    Bus Éireann is pleased to announce the introduction of a more direct service from Limerick to Dublin Airport and Dublin City on Expressway Route 12. The service, which begins on Sunday, April 17th 2011, will provide customers with additional early morning departure times from Limerick City. This will offer the customer more choices and provide them with a faster, more convenient service from Limerick to Dublin Airport and Dublin City.

Customers can depart Limerick as early as 2.30am to travel to Dublin Airport and 5.30am hrs to travel to Dublin City Centre

Not only do these new core services provide a faster journey time, they also eliminate the stress and inconvenience of getting to and from Dublin Airport. Route 12 provides customers with the choice of 5 new additional services to Dublin airport from Limerick and 6 new return services available from Dublin Airport every day. Commuter services are available in the am/pm with the integration of services available for the Luas at the Red Cow Stop.

“Bus Éireann is delighted to announce the introduction of new improved services on our Limerick-Dublin service. We feel that customers will now benefit from a range of new services to Dublin Airport with additional new departures from Limerick to Dublin airport and Dublin City at 02.30hrs and 05.30hrs respectively. This is all part of our attempts to offer new improved Expressway services for our customers”, said Miriam Flynn, Regional Manager, Bus Éireann, Southwest.

The new service from Limerick operates via, Nenagh, Roscrea, Mountrath and Non Stop from Portlaoise to Dublin Airport.
    The service from Dublin Airport and Dublin City operates via Portlaoise, Mountrath, Roscrea and Nenagh to Limerick.

For further information please visit www.buseireann.ie.
    Customers are advised that they can avail of a 10 per cent discount when they buy their ticket online at www.buseireann.ie

Tuesday, 12th April, 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A positive development, at least it will make Limk-Dublin a bit more bearable by bus. The current journey time is crazy. There still needs to be an express bus via M7 though, I'm sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭howiya

A positive development, at least it will make Limk-Dublin a bit more bearable by bus. The current journey time is crazy. There still needs to be an express bus via M7 though, I'm sure...

When I saw the title of the thread that's what I was hoping to see

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Snow Leopard

howiya wrote: »
    When I saw the title of the thread that's what I was hoping to see

You're not the only one. IÉ will remain the more attractive option until such time BE run a non-stop service. As for the airport, I'd still opt for the train + Airlink over the new bus services any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Why does a bus depart Ballsbridge 1800 and arrive 0855? What favoured individual lives in Limerick but works near Jury's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dowlingm wrote: »
    Why does a bus depart Ballsbridge 1800 and arrive 0855? What favoured individual lives in Limerick but works near Jury's?

Maybe what people live in Portlaoise and work in the CBD would be a better way of phrasing that? The service is not just for Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will this service still serve all the same stops from Portlaoise-Dublin? It currently serves all stops which allows the Cork bus to go non stop from Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's also interesting to note that both routes 8 and 12 (Cork/Limerick) will operate non-stop along the M7 from Portlaoise to Newlands Cross. This leaves local traffic between Portlaoise and Naas to the private operators (Aircoach, JJ Kavanaghs and Dublin Coach).

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's also interesting to note that both routes 8 and 12 (Cork/Limerick) will operate non-stop along the M7 from Portlaoise to Newlands Cross. This leaves local traffic between Portlaoise and Naas to the private operators (Aircoach, JJ Kavanaghs and Dublin Coach).
    Maybe they are adding a local service from Portlaoise serving Kildare monasterevin ballybrit etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I am well happy with this :) Now if there was a non stop Limerick-Dublin service....

Just noticed...there is no scheduled mid stop off at a petrol station according to http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1302770042-12.pdf
    Thank god that tradition is over...10 minutes often turned to 25 and the merging of buses was always a pain :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

lxflyer wrote: »
    Maybe what people live in Portlaoise and work in the CBD would be a better way of phrasing that? The service is not just for Limerick!
    Perhaps but it's funny that it is only introduced with this timetable. As it stands Portlaoise-Dublin service seems quite poor in the morning although this may discount the private operators.

Incidentally BE just announced 33X to Derry, 2*direction/day

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

dowlingm wrote: »
    As it stands Portlaoise-Dublin service seems quite poor in the morning although this may discount the private operators.

I 33X to Derry, 2*direction/day

www.dublincoach.ie is an AMAZING service. So much cheaper, lovely seats and free wifi. Streets ahead of BE quality wise and on the hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Been said before woudl dig out the thread if I coudl find it - but using the new motorway network with smaller bus stations or "mini stations" if you like located at or near key motorway junctions - would allow the flexibility of fast express buses with drop off/pick up "mini bus stations" near key motorway exits to use the new motorway system without having to trundle in and out the of the old bus station network located in city centres. Nipping on and off the motorway say three times on a journey would give the flexibility of a stopping service and not delay the express bus route that much. I am talking about being able to divert off the motorway to go to a "mini bus station" and get back ont he motorway within 4 minutes. It shoudl have been planned into the building of motorway junctions.

I am surprised the private bus operators doing express services haven't developed this idea for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Currently sitting on a non-stop service from Busaras to Limerick. Was queuing to get on the 12, when a guy came over, checked everybodies tickets and directed anybody going directly to Limerick onto another bus.

In roscrea at the moment and it's been motorway all the way. Does anybody have any idea when Bus Eireann started doing this??

Intouch9 wrote: »
    Currently sitting on a non-stop service from Busaras to Limerick. Was queuing to get on the 12, when a guy came over, checked everybodies tickets and directed anybody going directly to Limerick onto another bus.

In roscrea at the moment and it's been motorway all the way. Does anybody have any idea when Bus Eireann started doing this??
    Usually if there are a lot of people waiting on the normal stopping services they will put on an extra non stop service and leave the normal bus to do it's normal route. This is often done from Waterford-Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

Yeah, that could be it! It's bloody unreal to be honest... We're due in before 11 - 2 and a half hours in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sparkleschu

I just attempted to use the newly launched M7 Express Limerick - Dublin Airport bus service run by Dublin Coach.

I was waiting at the University of Limerick stop for the 10am service to Dublin Airport. At 10.10am I called the dublin coach head office to enquire where the bus was. They told me they would call the driver and get back to me. At 10.20am I still hadn't heard anything so I called them back and they told me that their normal green coach had broken down so the service was now being fulfilled by a white 15 seater bus (they hadn't told me this originally) and they were unable to contact the driver to see where he was. At 10.30am I gave up and tried to put another plan in place in order to get to Dublin airport.

So it seems the bus may or may not have passed the stop (as I was looking out for the regular green coach), they couldn't contact the driver, and the promised luxury and free wifi service was now probably not being fulfilled by a 15 seater bus.

I was delighted to hear about this bus service but unfortunately they seem to be as inept, inefficient and unsatisfactory as most other bus services in this country. What's new??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That is very disappointing to hear. If this service is to be successful, it needs to be very dependable and high quality.

GoBus and CityLink have done exactly that in Galway-Dublin and have a very successful service as a result.

Dublin Coach seem to be pissing away an excellent opportunity here to change peoples minds in Limerick about the quality of bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

FWIW I drove into UL this morning and drove by a Dublin Coach on its way to the bus stop, that was at 11:10 or so, I remember as we commented on it being late. Guess there's a few mishaps now and then - this is the first negative story I've heard about the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I just attempted to use the newly launched M7 Express Limerick - Dublin Airport bus service run by Dublin Coach.

I was waiting at the University of Limerick stop for the 10am service to Dublin Airport. At 10.10am I called the dublin coach head office to enquire where the bus was. They told me they would call the driver and get back to me. At 10.20am I still hadn't heard anything so I called them back and they told me that their normal green coach had broken down so the service was now being fulfilled by a white 15 seater bus (they hadn't told me this originally) and they were unable to contact the driver to see where he was. At 10.30am I gave up and tried to put another plan in place in order to get to Dublin airport.

So it seems the bus may or may not have passed the stop (as I was looking out for the regular green coach), they couldn't contact the driver, and the promised luxury and free wifi service was now probably not being fulfilled by a 15 seater bus.

I was delighted to hear about this bus service but unfortunately they seem to be as inept, inefficient and unsatisfactory as most other bus services in this country. What's new??

Yeah I got the bus return and it was on time perfectly. It was probably a once off, the service is alright.

If there is one complaint it would be that the air con is a bit low and the bus can get a bit stuffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Used the service twice this week, on time, comfortable, the wifi doesn't work though... This is a minor problem for me, however if it's advertised it should be available!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

I think this the wrong thread for this.

There is already a thread for Dublin Coach to Limerick here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470595&page=4

Advertisement