Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow, slow, quick quick, slow....

Options
  • 07-10-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

For some reason my Three midband connection has slowed down to a crawl on both of my laptops since Saturday or thereabouts. I've raised the issue with Three although I'm not entirely convinced that this is their problem.

In the meantime, I acquired a Huawai B593s-22 router (I was going to get a 4G router anyhow) and the kind folks in the Three store in Naas gave me a new sim card but access to the internet is still painfully slow on my laptops.

However, if I connect to the network with my Android phone and run the Speedtest app, I get about 20meg download and 15meg upload speeds which would be perfectly acceptable.

By the way, it ISN'T bad signal from the mast. The mast is 1.4km away and I can see it from here. The router is in line of sight of the mast.

Anybody got any ideas why my laptops are slow but my phone isnt??

Ping and tracert results attached.

All constructive ideas gratefully accepted! :-)

E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why have you got XP on the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I rarely connect to the internet with it....when I was experiencing slow speeds on my Windows 7 machine, I tried running speedtest on that older one too but got the same very slow speeds. I just happened to run the ping and tracert on it....

My other laptop runs Windows 7 and it also experiences slow speeds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

are you using the same apn settings on the phone and router?

Apologies....I should have been clearer....when I connect with my phone I use my home wifi, not directly from the phone to the local Three mast (in fact my mobile isn't on the Three network), so I suspect that the APN settings on the phone are irrelevant.

Not sure if this is relevant, but when I access speedtest.net I get as far as the page that says "selecting best server based on ping" and the page hangs there....

Bump...

Anybody got any ideas....or at least what I should check to locate the source of the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My connection's been really slow too... I'm guessing THREE have finally wisened up to people abusing their "All you can eat data" thing and started throttling. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

exaisle wrote: »
    Bump...

Anybody got any ideas....or at least what I should check to locate the source of the problem?

Have you tried connecting a PC directly to the router via Ethernet? Do you get the same issue if you use the Internet on your PC running Linux (from a live CD) ?

long_b wrote: »
    Have you tried connecting a PC directly to the router via Ethernet? Do you get the same issue if you use the Internet on your PC running Linux (from a live CD) ?

I originally connected via an ethernet cable...the same problem arose. I'll try running Linux. Thanks for the suggestion...

I tried somebody else's laptop yesterday and the same issue arose. (I was eventually able to run speedtest.net (10meg down, 20meg up).

When I eventually connect, i get decent downloads and can stream video....both on laptops and via an android box running Kodi.

I've just tried speedtest.net on my laptop running Linux and Firefox.

At least the test managed to run whereas on Windows it usually hangs on the "selecting best server" page. The results were 4.52Meg down and 7.37Meg up.

Just afterwards, I ran Speedtest on my phone via my home network and obtained speeds of 18.74meg down and 15.03meg up.

I've also updated the driver for my wireless controller. I appear to have the most up to date for the network controller.

I'm going to try running Linux on the other laptop...

Ok...just tried running Speedtest using the Linux version of Firefox.

Results: 2.62meg down; 15.83meg up.

• Advertisement

Here's my ping to disney.com using a Huawei HiLink USB dongle connected to a TP Link 3 router. No timeouts that I can see (unlike yours)

Isnt that a timeout at step 3? (and 7,9,11,12,13.....)or what do the * * * mean?

Ive changed the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which seems to have helped a lot....

exaisle wrote: »
    Isnt that a timeout at step 3? (and 7,9,11,12,13.....)or what do the * * * mean?

Ive changed the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which seems to have helped a lot....

Is fix? Fingers crossed!

Yes...seems to be. Speedtest just now was ping 29ms 43meg down and 18meg up.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement