Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Max Payne 3

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In fairness, you do raise some good points, but a lot of your criticism isn't fair.
    mystic86 wrote: »
    My god the amount of cut-scenes in this game! Yawn! (normally love cut-scenes).

You're one of a very small group of people I've ever heard criticise the character of Max. I'm willing to bet that it's down to the fact you haven't played 1 and 2. The third game in a trilogy can't be expected to tell you Max's entire backstory just so you can get as invested in it as those of us who've been following the series since that first scene in his house.

But I can see how it wouldn't have been as interesting to you because of this.
    What's with the stupid writing on the screen?! You know, when they take a few words from every second line in the multitude of cut-scenes and flash them up on the screen... what exactly is that about? Is that meant to be impressive? The words weren't even significant.

It's a throwback to the older games, whose cutscene's were entirely in the form of comic strips. The words and flashing effects are also meant to signify Max' descent into insanity (they increase when he's drunk, decrease when he's sober).
    Do you know what an amazing skill the enemy AI have in this game? They can tell your existence if you aim the reticule at them, even at the back of the head!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT??

This was a right pain in the hole alright. Irritated me to no end when there were two enemies having a chat with their backs to me, I'd sneak up point my gun, only to have them flip around and start diving and firing like madmen. A real shame they couldn't fix this.
    Do you know what, rockstar/any developer ever, if you make a section in a game hard, then don't design the god-damn game in such a way that when I have to redo that section of the game SEVERAL times I have to watch the preceding cut-scene every time too!!! WTF?!

Couldn't agree more. This was a huge bug-bear of mine in LA Noire (the only game so far I've taken the time to get every achievement in). I'll admit I haven't gone back to this game yet (other games on my pile to play) but I can imagine that when I do, the inability to skip cutscenes will piss me off. I know they're there to mask loading times, but to be honest, I'd prefer to have a static loading screen rather than watch the same cutscene for the 20th time.
    I hear people criticising games like uncharted for being linear, but my God is this game linear!!!! Can't deviate at all at all. Wouldn't be bad on it's own if the game was interesting and exciting. How about some collectables? Ok ya, how about collecting gold sections of weapons? Eh, no thanks... what use is it to me. How about something more interesting at this stage!

If you expected non-linear stuff, you chose the wrong game. Max Payne has never been anything but linear, and to change that would have ruined the series. This attitude that "linear... BAD!" that seems to be developing in a lot of the newer generation of gamers (those that started on 360 or late PS2) is really frustrating. But that's a different discussion. :P
    Other stuff that is funny/ridiculous:
    After that guy was burned in the tyres, Max says in a cutscene that him and Giovanni lay there for 2 hours?!?!
    It's been a while, but isn't that where Max and the girl are together after the riot in the favella? They hid from a combination of the police and the thugs IIRC... I don't get what's so ridiculous...
    I died a million times on that trembling building, as the building collapsed before I could beat the guy at the end... and then when I finally beat it - cue long cut-scene on said collapsing building with Max remaining on building.. LMAO

Welcome to videogames...
    Talks to guy in toilet at airport - after cut-scene BOOM the guy evaporates
    Didn't the guy say he was locking himself in the stall? Open to correction, as I said, it's been a while :o
    Some annoying/infuriating practical issues:
    • It's very hard to see where the damn reticule is at times!
    • I was playing a section a few times as I kept failing, and on different playthroughs of the exact same section an object was no longer able to be used as cover, then it was on the next try, then it wasn't again... and so-on

1. Agree about the reticule. Very irritating in segments where the enemies have flashlights. (but then maybe that's the point?)

2. Glitches happen. Every game has them, especially linear games.
    To finish, no amount of stupid f***ing slow motion bullets to the head will make this game any good, imo.

:mad:

You're entitled to your opinion. But really it was a bit foolish to buy a game with "3" in the title not knowing anything about the older games (as you clearly didn't know anything about what the others were like).

Anywho, back to why I came into the thread before I got sidetracked by all that!

Does any of the offline stuff you do help out the crew? I've got my Xbox to connect to the internet, but it's not fast enough to actually game online, but it is fast enough to upload stats... (longshot I know, but I just wanna help! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This attitude that "linear... BAD!" that seems to be developing in a lot of the newer generation of gamers (those that started on 360 or late PS2) is really frustrating. But that's a different discussion. :P

I love linear games, prefer them to open worlds. But when the characters and story and cut-scenes and/or game-play variety aren't doing it for me I need something else to enjoy.

It's been a while, but isn't that where Max and the girl are together after the riot in the favella? They hid from a combination of the police and the thugs IIRC... I don't get what's so ridiculous...

No the part I'm talking about the lay there cause they were exhausted, right next to the bad guys place where one of the main guys was. Like 20 metres away.

Welcome to videogames...
    I'm not new or anything.

Didn't the guy say he was locking himself in the stall? Open to correction, as I said, it's been a while :o
    I entered it anyway so don't think it was locked.
    especially linear games.
    All games have glitches indeed, though surely massive open worlds should have more?? like Skyrim.

You're entitled to your opinion. But really it was a bit foolish to buy a game with "3" in the title not knowing anything about the older games (as you clearly didn't know anything about what the others were like).
    Was a present, as I said earlier. Sold it since.

Glad you agreed on a good share of the points made.

Cheers, have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Been playing in little bursts (so much gaming on the go)

Absolutely fantastic, enjoying it big time.

Max Payne is easily my favourite and imo the best single player franchise and its continuing in strong form

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can skip many scenes in the PC version. With a few of the big ones I think they make you sit through them and it's got nothing to do with loading times. If I reply a chapter and go to checkpoint 2 which is often right after the first major cut scene it loads almost straight away if I load from the first checkpoint it takes as long as the cut scene to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Cut scenes become a problem when playing in New York Minute. No doubt about it. Shame the online isn't tickling peoples fancy. I've a couple more play throughs of the SP to go but i'm spending most time at the online in this. The gang wars and Payne Killer mode are great craic. Still I've a hard time seeing the justification in 7 multiplayer DLC packs for this game given that it's got a very small online following

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

What's the online like lads?

Thinking of buying it solely for the multiplayer. I love third person shooters. The videos impress me, but what are your overall thoughts lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Could I play it at high settings on radeon 6670 1gb ddr3 at 720p with decent framerate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Could I play it at high settings on radeon 6670 1gb ddr3 at 720p with decent framerate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHMyUj6j0U

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Just got this last week, and enjoying it more and more when i get to play it. Only on chapter 5 or 6 i think, and have never played the older games, but really like it. Took a bit getting accustomed to all the cut scenes, but now I know to expect them it just builds the story nicely. I'm a fiend for collecting stuff so been advidly searching for golden guns and clues, found quite a lot of em, but inevitably missed a few here n there. Something to do once i finish single player story

Had a quick go on multiplayer and was quite good. Only team deathmatch, and got to level 5 or so, so lots of unlocks and other game modes to take a look at. Hopefully have some free time to get really stuck into it over the next few weeks.

I'm rubbish at free aiming :D

Max Payne (1) is out on android and going cheap this week i think, so quite tempted to try that out too to see some back story

• Registered Users Posts: 7 VisualStats

This game is awesome!I can't stop play wint this!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished this, loved it. When I first heard about the Brazil setting and a bald Max, I wasn't too hopeful but it works brilliantly, I think. Some of the settings are fantastic; the soccer stadium, the favela and especially the police station, that was intense. I liked the nods to the previous games too with
    Vinne's, Valerie's and Horne's graves. Surprised that there was only one mention of Mona. But at the end of Max Payne 2, she could be dead or alive depending on the difficulty so they probably didn't want to focus too much on that.

Good story, interesting characters and great music. Brilliant game.
    Glad to see that they didn't kill off Max either. He's earned that break on the beach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just finished it

when I heard about the brazil setting I was more than a little bit 'meh' and the actual scenes in the favella were the weakest of the game imo but overall this was a more than worthy addition to the max payne series.
    Max is perfect. He's exactly what you'd expect him to be after everything he's been through. It also has the honour of being one of the few(only?) games I've played where the cover based combat system is interesting

a+, would buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I bought the game last week and finished it today. I played the first two last year and it got me back into gaming. I really enjoyed it, i'm used to ps2 graphics and cut scenes so a big step up. I appreciate they've got to change things up but allot of the time i wanted dark nyc noir payne but still an entertaining romp.

Any word on a sequel? i see the sales are disappointing

I'm going to pick up alan wake tomorrow for some remedy action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Gameplaywise, i thought it was a fine shooter. however as a Max Payne game, it ****ing sucked. Max as a character has been reduced to a bungling **** up, who gets mugged on no less than 3 occasions. Hes a pitiful unlikeable loser, the story is typical rockstar bull****, and overall the game is still not fit to even be mentioned in the same breath as MP2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gave this another go the other day, still fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gameplaywise, i thought it was a fine shooter. however as a Max Payne game, it ****ing sucked. Max as a character has been reduced to a bungling **** up, who gets mugged on no less than 3 occasions. Hes a pitiful unlikeable loser, the story is typical rockstar bull****, and overall the game is still not fit to even be mentioned in the same breath as MP2.
    I liked the story, it was a proper continuation of the Max Payne story and not just another excuse to make the same game over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I do like how much it tipped the cap to the movie 'Man on Fire'

I would play a Max Payne 4 if it was ever made. Maybe a return to New York

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This isnt great, I cant be bothered with it, some of the actions okay but its not worth grinding through the boring cutscenes and constant loading. Id rather play Max Payne II than waste any more time on this. They completely fcuked up the bullet time aswell, it doesn't kick in instantly when you hit the button half the time, there's always a second or 2 where the enemy gets to take a load of your health before the bullet time starts, its not integrated into the game properly the way it was in the first 2 if you know what I mean and it pretty much ruins the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Just finished. Thought it was class. Dialogue was quality, story was pretty good, plenty of action. A bit colourful for my liking but would like to see a 4th game, hopefully a bit darker. Can't see it happening though, Max is getting bit old.
    Anyway, two thumbs up chuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

That is not Max Payne, that's his dad. Don't really care about the looks, I only want to play and try its new bullet time. :b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

erkifino wrote: »
    Max is getting bit old.

Bah, that just means he has more character :p
    boarder294 wrote: »
    That is not Max Payne, that's his dad. Don't really care about the looks, I only want to play and try its new bullet time. :b

The bullet time is exactly how it always was. Welcome to 2001 :D

That could be the storyline, max getting old :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I played through MP1 and MP2 again shortly before MP3 came out. Bullet time hasn't changed at all. Max does take a lot of damage in MP3, you can instantly die from a headshot, but it's proper old school damage without all the modern health regen nonsense. You have to plan carefully over the medium to long term, hedging your bets on more painkillers down the road. You can't just charge in unless you're ready with your headshots.

What has changed is how Max moves. He's sluggish and has inertia. When he falls it hurts and he can't flip back up on his feet like old Max could.

Also I love when you work through a level you see the sweat begin to stain his shirt.

I'm playing through this on hard, getting shredded on some bits. Specially
    the office bit, with the first armoured enemies, I got killed so many times :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Story was fun, but gameplay was kinda crap. If i wanted to be ducking behind cover all the time i would have played time crisis.

Someone said they went for a realism? He pops pain killers to heal bullet wounds :rolleyes:

they probably worried that if they included a four week hospital visit every time max got shot it would ruin the immersion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

EnterNow wrote: »
    The bullet time is exactly how it always was. Welcome to 2001 :D
    No its not, in MP I and II it was completely integrated into the game, as in you hit bullet time you were instantly there, in III its broken, theres this horrible gap before you enter it and the whole thing just feels really clunky and badly implemented, nowhere near as slick as the first 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

they probably worried that if they included a four week hospital visit every time max got shot it would ruin the immersion

I've no problem with the pain killers, but i dont see the point in going for as much realism as possible with everything else in the game, when they are already overlooking that unrealistic issue, i would have prefered if they made the game more fun like the previous games, anytime you get shot at you have to be ducking for cover, i don't even remember doing such a thing in max 1 and 2 even once, nevermind every second of the game..

Max Cover it should be called :(

i used cover from time to time in MP3 but most of the time I played it like 1 or 2.. I just ran/jumped around the place blasting lads in the face

i occasionally hid behind pillars without using the cover mechanic because as much as I dont hate max paynes cover system.. I still think cover based combat is kinda annoying. one of the few times I can remember actually needing to use the cover system was at the airport (at the end), there was no room to go running/jumping around and there were so many enemies it would be suicide to try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thargor wrote: »
    No its not, in MP I and II it was completely integrated into the game, as in you hit bullet time you were instantly there, in III its broken, theres this horrible gap before you enter it and the whole thing just feels really clunky and badly implemented, nowhere near as slick as the first 2...

Which is it? Is it deliberately different from design, or is it a bug? Could it be a technical issue on your side? V-sync has been known to cause input lag in games in the past.

Advertisement