Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage deal query

• 04-02-2009 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Didn't want to kidnap this thread more than I already had, so started a new one.

It was mentioned that some dealers are offering up to €4,000 scrappage, but the actual amount might depend on what you were buying. The example given was that they're not going to give you €4k off a €6k second hand car.

Couple of questions about scrappage deals then -

1. Is the condition of your own car taken into account, or only the value of the car you're buying?
    2. If they're taking it as scrappage, do you leave the old car with them, or do you have to bring it somewhere special?
    3. Do they actually scrap these cars or might they sell them on? (I don't really care, just curious)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Seeing as there is no official government scrappage scheme in operation they're no doubt just rebranding a normal trade-in offer as a 'scrappage deal' to get peoples interest. If that's the case they'll take the car off your hands and move it on in whatever way makes them the most cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Seeing as there is no official government scrappage scheme in operation they're no doubt just rebranding a normal trade-in offer as a 'scrappage deal' to get peoples interest. If that's the case they'll take the car off your hands and move it on in whatever way makes them the most cash.

+1, you could "scrap" a box of smokes with them and they will give you the same money off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd also expect that a lot of places would be willing to match their 'scrappage offer' in a cash deal anyway. It's just a way of making people think that they're somehow getting a great deal by buying a much newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    +1, you could "scrap" a box of smokes with them and they will give you the same money off.

I was beginning to think that alright when I started looking at some of the offers :)

Here's a plan - use the government funding to buy a bicycle, cover it in a cardboard box, trade it in for scrappage :)

Advertisement