Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

Went through today at 4 o clock going northbound M50. Followed the signs kept left and flew through a fairly empty double lane on the left hand side. Mean while large queue of cars in the 2 right hand lanes were not moving.

Got through to the other side were lots of cars trying to jump into the left hand lanes after being stuck on the right hand side

Was home 10 minutes earlier due to following the signs. I know which lanes I'm taking everyday till actual bridge is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

A few of the Poor feckers today

B3705EC8696648E5B3C7ED5A91E0AF0B-0000334566-0003613400-00800L-078777F3098A4B4FA412E8DE942613F6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

When traveling inbound towards the M50, the road splits before Newlands into two pairs of two lanes. The right hand pair are signposted with the left one for going straight and the right one for turning up the Belgard Road. BUT at the last moment the right lane splits again for no reason allowing the option of not turning right but instead going straight ahead into an almost dead end, this “lane” was carrying as many cars as the correct straight ahead lane, with drivers illegally trying to merge left into those who had queued patiently. It is a disaster of near misses and horn blasting that is dangerous and badly thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

I managed to get from Citywest to Santry in about 25 minutes at about 6:00 pm. I just kept left and things were fine, except for 1 or 2 numpties who hadn't been paying attention and were trying to move right just before the split.

One thing that may cause confusion is that there are 2 flashing signs before the Green Isle basically telling drivers that they can drive in any lane :/

The signs below are fine, I think.

315292.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The "use any lane" signs are very misle

Use Any Lane was also showing on M50 gantries todayading. Should be turned off until they can think of something helpful, or at least not completely wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jd wrote: »
    I managed to get from Citywest to Santry in about 25 minutes at about 6:00 pm. I just kept left and things were fine, except for 1 or 2 numpties who hadn't been paying attention and were trying to move right just before the split.

One thing that may cause confusion is that there are 2 flashing signs before the Green Isle basically telling drivers that they can drive in any lane :/

The signs below are fine, I think.

315292.JPG
    unless I was being thick yesterday - you needed to be in the left lane to head towards the M50N and M50S - middle lane and right split to the right hand side (see the pic of the truck 'merging' above).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

unless I was being thick yesterday - you needed to be in the left lane to head towards the M50N and M50S - middle lane and right split to the right hand side (see the pic of the truck 'merging' above).

left lane M50N, second from left lane M50S (altho you can continue straight on in this lane to town)

the signs are correct

BUT even tho i was in the correct lane for M50N there were a few moments of "OMG its taking me somewhere else" i can see why people panic and change lanes, But if you hold your nerve it works out just fine

they just need a few more reassuring signs along the route to advise people they are still in the correct lane i think

• They need one of these with the words "Yes this lane does go to the M50N". :D

MessageVMS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Came through again yesterday Still a nightmare, still a traffic plan designed by someone with drool coming out the side of their mouth.

Case in point : there has always been a straight on access to the city if you kept in the right hand lane up to newlands x inbound . Now there is not. it is a forced right turn to the belgard road .

Now you might say "well if you read the signs".... and I was so frustrated I went back and looked

1. Yes it is signed. By crappy orange signs as above which most people just think "Roadworks ahead". No LCD banners, nothing on the M7 inbound banner overheads, zero. Are those signs even compliant with RUS type signage ?

are they clear ? No, not at all. Too small and you are past them too quickly.

SO : if you are at lane speed ( and worse, full old lane speed , i.e. 80-100 up to the lights as a lot of people still do, yes I know it is 60 up to the lights

1. Assume you havent seen the orange signs
    2. Assume you are still in the Right lane
    3. Assume you want to go straight ahead

you are now up the creek because you will be landed straight into a bollard with NOWHERE to go ( you will NOT be expecting a wall and have to very suddenly turn right or merge.

Accident ( and a bad one ) waiting to happen because BAM cannot be bothered to put in place proper measures.

My 0.02c anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

trellheim wrote: »

Case in point : there has always been a straight on access to the city if you kept in the right hand lane up to newlands x inbound . Now there is not. it is a forced right turn to the belgard road .

i might be mistaken but i don't think thats true? If you stay in the right hand lane and go to the right of the fly over there is a lane that continues straight on to city centre? yes it does split and theres a lane that goes right only, but thats always been there?

EDIT: oh wait i see what you mean - they made the right lane a right only, and second from right is straight on, so effectively theres 4 lanes inbound now as the opened up the bus lane on the left to be a normal lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Is the new flyover definitely going to be have three lanes in each direction, as while I've only ever seen the new half built flyover from the Belgard Road, to me it doesn't look wide enough to have three lanes in each direction? To be quite honest it wouldn't surprise me one bit were they to only have two lanes in each direction, but I'm hoping that they wouldn't be that stupid?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's three in both directions. The deck will extend over the beams and there'll be no shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

MYOB wrote: »
    It's three in both directions. The deck will extend over the beams and there'll be no shoulder

Thanks for that MYOB, for sadly it would not have surprised me one iota had they only put two lanes each way on the flyover, as sadly we have a bad habit in this country of going for the bare minimum when it comes to amount of lanes, and then spending a fortune years later trying to correct it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Thanks for that MYOB, for sadly it would not have surprised me one iota had they only put two lanes each way on the flyover
    The whole of the rest of the road is 6 lanes standard so I think it would have been very surprising if they'd put 4 on the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Does anyone know what the intention is for traffic joining inbound from Belgard rd and fonthill rd? i.e. Will it be allowed to merge before the red cow or will it continue outside the ramp and new lanes and join the m50 or city bound lanes past the bowstring bridge?

I'm really hoping that it's the latter and they won't allow mad dashes across the m50 bound N7 traffic to meet the city bound lanes. Or do folks think there's room for this in a free flow arrangement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

there will be one filter in lane, inbound, this is where the yellow cement is, this is lane 2 on the current road layout.
    there will be one lane to filter out aswell, this will be where it currently is I think.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

why the lack of cycle infrastructure to link clondalkin to liffey valley?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

why the lack of cycle infrastructure to link clondalkin to liffey valley?

Newlands Cross doesn't feature in that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

mackerski wrote: »
    Newlands Cross doesn't feature in that journey.

I mean Tallaght to Liffey Valley, there doesnt appear to be any cycle lanes on the fonthill road through the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

They are not planning any noise protection barriers between newlands cross and the red cow/M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

gk5000 wrote: »
    They are not planning any noise protection barriers between newlands cross and the red cow/M50.

They would make the structure look even bulkier. Apart from Bewleys Hotel and 1 house on the far side, there is little need for them anyway. I'm sure they are well used to the sound by now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Roryhy wrote: »
    They would make the structure look even bulkier. Apart from Bewleys Hotel and 1 house on the far side, there is little need for them anyway. I'm sure they are well used to the sound by now.

Bewleys is probably soundproofed against the traffic noise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Seen this video

For a bridge carrying 3 lanes each way it doesn't very wide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

For a bridge carrying 3 lanes each way it doesn't very wide.

It won't have hard shoulders and will have a concrete central barrier so it will be perfectly wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

It won't have hard shoulders and will have a concrete central barrier so it will be perfectly wide.

As Cookiemonster said it's plenty wide when the just the basic services pass over it (same as many overbridges on the motorways if you keep an eye out). Also if you want to see some graphics of it, I'm sure there is drawings of the junction/layouts etc on this thread somewhere I just cant find them at the minute.

Here's the skyscraper thread with some early visuals on page 2 of the thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1599158&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

They looked to be gearing up to pour concrete on the bridge this morning. At this rate, it's not impossible to see the new road (flyover) open by Hallow'een, taking the through traffic off the temp roads, leaving re-aligning the access/ Belgard Rd roads for X-mas.

The entire project may well be finished way ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

paulbok wrote: »
    They looked to be gearing up to pour concrete on the bridge this morning. At this rate, it's not impossible to see the new road (flyover) open by Hallow'een, taking the through traffic off the temp roads, leaving re-aligning the access/ Belgard Rd roads for X-mas.

The entire project may well be finished way ahead of schedule.

Concrete being pumped this morning
    HRktlgA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Going to Limerick tomorrow,do i expect madness or is the roadworks nearing an end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

No madness to be had

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

some craic is gonna he had at new lands when the kiddies are back to school next week!

Advertisement