Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water meter istallation

• 03-06-2014 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Good morning, for anyone who has had a meter installed in a traditional house on a traditional street with concrete footpaths with a stopcock located directly outside the property then you will be familiar with the way Farran's,( they are the contractors for Irish Water) operate. For those of you yet to experience the mess, noise and inconvenience of having your property entrance/driveway completely blocked, then let me enlighten about my own situation.
    They arrived at my, and all others on my road last Thursday, 29 May early morning. They erect a barrier of 4 or 5 safety fences around the existing stopcock- fine, H&S and all that. An hour later a guy came around and marked a square about 30" x 30" with a machine that would wake the long time dead!
    The following day they completed digging and installing the meter, replacing the concrete etc, that was Friday.
    Today is Tuesday 3 June and the barrier fences are still in place.
    My point is this : I had no vehicular access or wheelchair access to my own property for 5 days, for a job that takes a couple of hours to complete,(their words not mine). It is, in my view wrong, unnecessary and disrespectful.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's other contractors - but Sierra were similarly bad here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭rameire

if it wasnt a bank holiday weekend it would have been quicker, timing wasnt good for you unfortunately.
    as for me, it was Sierra, they were so quick it was over in two days.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    The following day they completed digging and installing the meter, replacing the concrete etc, that was Friday.
    Today is Tuesday 3 June and the barrier fences are still in place.
    Were they waiting for concrete to dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

We had Murphy's do ours, started on a Tuesday, finally got our drive back at 5.30pm on the friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

They do provide for wheelchair access if asked, most driveways are wide enough. Certainly that was the case in two situations I know about, maybe different contractors.

The vehicular access one is more difficult to provide for but a short walk never did anybody any harm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement