Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a new laptop

Options
  • 01-10-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

So my little laptop has finally gone to electronic heaven, and I need a new one.

Right now, I'm using an old IBM Lenova, which is a nice machine, but it's heavy and has a crap battery life. I need something that is light enough to carry around without giving me a pain in the back, and which will allow me to do a day's work on the move. And of course, it has to have a keyboard that works for a touch typist.

I don't need endless bells and whistle, I'll me running Word 90% of the time, and the rest will be Facebook, Boards, and a few similar websites.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

On the go, I use an Asus Transformer TF101 tablet with a keyboard dock.

Its lightweight, good keyboard and has amazingly good battery life because the computer is all in the tablet part, so the keyboard is 90% extra battery.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1239/pg1/asus-transformer-tf101-tegra-2-tablet-and-keyboard-dock-review-introduction.html

Its Android based, so not the best if you need Word, but I have Dropbox and Polaris Office on it, so I can write and save files to Dropbox and then sync it to my PC (where I have MS Word) when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Thanks, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i got a lovely mac book pro 15 yesterday on Adverts.ie for 250 euro. its in fine condition too - you'd be surprised what you can find there for low cost.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I'd second a second hand machine. A new machine with Windows 8 will just annoy you no end and waste valuable time getting to grips with its eccentricities. Personally I love my 10" tablet but there is no way I could write anything beyond a few lines on it, but I also tate typing on laptops so might not be the best judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

For portability I love my MacBook Air. If you can get one second hand I'd recommend it. It's light, portable, great battery life you can get Word on it easy enough. I also like the keyboard on the 13 inch. I found netbooks were just too small for comfortable typing over extended periods of time.

And this is coming from a non-Apple lover. My main PC is a Windows and the Mac is just for writing ... and some elements of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Got a Macbook Air a couple of months ago, pure bliss :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I can type on something small. I used to write entire novels on my little Psion 5.

I'm not in love with big screens. There is something daunting about a big blank screen in front of you, and you write away and only fill half of it. A smaller screen is easier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

11'' MacBook Air?

(I swear I'm not an Apple buff :o)

Advertisement