Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollerskating in Cork

• 24-02-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering is there anywhere in Cork that a group with kids could go rollerskating? somewhere like a roller disco or such?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

oooh blast from the past, the roller disco down the arc on a Saturday afternoon :D sadly they are apartments now, dont think there is another place to go though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

oooh blast from the past, the roller disco down the arc on a Saturday afternoon :D sadly they are apartments now, dont think there is another place to go though

Jesus Curly your showing your age there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Just wondering is there anywhere in Cork that a group with kids could go rollerskating? somewhere like a roller disco or such?

I know there was a place on the corner of Brian Brou Bridge a while back. Stopped at the lights a few times,,and used to see a lot of kids in there mostly with skateboards..Not sure if anyone there used rollerskates..

Not even sure if it's still there...

Next time I pass,,I'll have a look.

I was stopped at those lights yesterday and it was open, is there a skate park up near friars walk as well?

I think there is a few ramps and things in Ballyphehane Park itself...

As far as I know though,,it's more suited to skateboarders than rollerskaters.

That's if I have the right place.

• Advertisement

SexyGuy wrote: »

You've the right place alright I just remember the name Ballyphehane earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

SexyGuy wrote: »

It was "designed" for skaters, but it's a joke.
    However, if it's just your kids that want to go, I'd imagine they wouldn't be doing a whole lot that they'd need a decent setup anyway, so in this regard it's perfect.
    Because of it's............quality, amongst other things, no one really skates there. So your children can skate safely and in peace. It would be a much better place for them to get used to skating than The Mardyke, which gets crowded on weekend afternoons, and where children really only get in the way of and get injured by more experienced park users (they just don't really understand how the park works, but being children, they don't give a ****, they just get stuck in :D). If they get used to the feel of skating, learn to control it, get comfotable basically, in a quiet place, then hopefully they'll understand the busier park better, and be able to pick up on park etiquette easily.
    That's my honest opinion as a skateboarder anyway, having witnessed too many accidents at the Mardyke, been on the recieving end of abuse from parents in Ballincollig, and being frustrated by clueless/oblivious parents and children in both. Hope this helps, hope they have a good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

All you are really looking for is a flat smooth car free car park..try the train station carpark at Little Island allway's empty as everyone park's at the free car park accross the road from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Thanks everyone for the suggestion but I was actually kinda looking for a place when you could rent the skates and such as well. Like a place only for rollerskating. Sorry for the confusion. I should have been clearer on that! :)

Hi,NurseMar....

I just found this Thread on here... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74759955

I'd say if you could contact that group from Cork,,maybe via facebook,,they might have lots more info...

Worth a go anyway..

Edit...In fact,I also found this.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65621786

http://www.skatelog.com/countries/ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement