Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical Express Quote & other laser queries

• 21-09-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lulou

Hi Guys,

I've just been for an assessment with Optical Express and have a few queries that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I've been quoted €3,950 for lasik with Intralase and Wavefront. My prescription is -3.5 in both eyes. Now I wasn't expecting to be quoted €595 per eye as per their advert, but I think this is quite expensive given that the Blackrock Clinic charge €1,645 per eye and Wellington charge €1,950 for the same surgery. Just wondering what price others have been quoted for similar surgeries?

I was hoping to have the surgery over the october bank holiday weekend (less time off work required!) but there is a 3-4 week waiting list for an evening/weekend assessment with the other clinics. Just wondering how long on average have others had to wait between their assessment and actually having their surgery?

Finally the surgeon that will perform the procedure should I choose to go with OE is Mr Evangelo Minos. Has anybody had surgery with him, I can't seem to find any reviews.

Thanks in advance,

Louise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gilman9955

Hi lulou I went for a Consulation on Wednesday 21/09/2011 at 3pm to Optical Express in the White Water shopping center Newbridge Co Kildare. Consulation took approx 1 hour after which I was told that I was a suitable candidate. I was quoted €1,430 euro for lasik with intralase and wavefront. My right eye was -1.25 which cost €595 and my left eye -1.50 and cost €835 and after Hibernian Insurance -22.5% €321.75 it came in at €1,108.25. After deciding to go with that price I looked for the earliest appointment which turned out to be the following Mon 26/09/2011 at 10am. I arrived on Mon and got my eyes retested and at 12.30 had my operation by a Mr Dimitris Kazakos. Operation lasted 25 min's and rested for about 20 mins after that. Staff were very friendly and made me feel comfortable at all times. I went home and rested for the night and went for checkup the next day by which time my eyes felt comfortable and I could see perfect. Doctor told me I had better then 20/20 Vision and that I could read every line on the chart no problem overall I had a great experience with Optical Express and would Highly Recommend them to anyone. Only sorry that I left it so long to get them done but still delighted that things went so well. I hope this helps u and if i can answer any more questions or be of any help just shout. Kindest Regards Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Lulu

Got mine done there 4 weeks ago same details as yourself I paid €2930

Thats mad i'd love to know how there's such a price difference.This was the first quot i got and had a few friends got it done there for between 2,500 and 3,000 euro so jumped at that price and am delighted with the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lulou

Thanks guys, going for a consultation with the Welligton Eye Clinic tomorrow, so I'll see how I get on there. Gonna shop round a bit first see who I'm most comfortable with!

Please let me know how u get on

• Advertisement

Hi Gilman9955,

I went to the Wellington Clinic yesterday, they quoted €4,600. Thats's there standard price unless you need customised surgery.

It's interesting to see the different methods that each clinic uses to determine suitability.

The big advantage of the Wellington clinic is that you meet the surgeon beforehand, at least you know who is going to point a laser at your eyes before you hand over your money.

Now all I have to do is to decide between the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got mine done in Optilase 2 weeks ago - just over 2700

couldn't have been better! met the surgeon before and the aftercare was great

oh and i was -5.75

lulou wrote: »
    The big advantage of the Wellington clinic is that you meet the surgeon beforehand, at least you know who is going to point a laser at your eyes before you hand over your money.

You definitely meet your surgeon beforehand in Blackrock Clinic too, you have no choice but to as he is the one who then refers your for surgery afaik. Mr. William Power is an excellent Opthalmic Surgeon if you're looking for recommendations :)

Best of luck.

Hi Madilynn Teeny Post,

Do you know what the aftercare package is at Blackrock? I've had a look on their website but can't seem to find anything.
    Do you know if they offer a guarantee like other clinics, i.e a free top up if your prescription regresses within x amount of years.

Thanks,
    Lou

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lmlr

Hi gilman9955,

From reading that you had your surgery just done, do you have any of the referral vouchers that you would be willing to split 50:50?

• Advertisement

Hi ImIr i have vouchers if u need them i would be only happy to split

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lmlr

gilman9955 wrote: »
    Hi ImIr i have vouchers if u need them i would be only happy to split

PM sent to gilman9955.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lahinch_lass

Hi Guys,

I've just been for an assessment with Optical Express and have a few queries that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I've been quoted €3,950 for lasik with Intralase and Wavefront. My prescription is -3.5 in both eyes. Now I wasn't expecting to be quoted €595 per eye as per their advert, but I think this is quite expensive given that the Blackrock Clinic charge €1,645 per eye and Wellington charge €1,950 for the same surgery. Just wondering what price others have been quoted for similar surgeries?

I was hoping to have the surgery over the october bank holiday weekend (less time off work required!) but there is a 3-4 week waiting list for an evening/weekend assessment with the other clinics. Just wondering how long on average have others had to wait between their assessment and actually having their surgery?

Finally the surgeon that will perform the procedure should I choose to go with OE is Mr Evangelo Minos. Has anybody had surgery with him, I can't seem to find any reviews.

Thanks in advance,

Louise

That surgeon is listed on OE's uk website, and was the surgeon I was supposed to have too, but on the day it was some other guy austrian or german I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on this too! A few years ago I tried to get laser eye surgery and at the consultation I was told my pupils were quite large and would be a riskier procedure for me. So I decided not to get it. Now I know with newer technology that this won't be an issue anymore. I'm just wondering who to go with. So far I have contacted Blackrock and Wellington. Both seem really amazing. I know Wellington offer a lifetime guarantee but couldn't find that information on Blackrock. Also they both seem to be the same price. I would imagine I'd have to Lasek (according to what I have read!) I haven't had a consultation yet in either place. (As consultations are not free!) Which one would people recommend here?
    I contacted Optical Express and I know people here have had a good experience but they seemed more focused on the sale than the actual procedure. Anyway I didn't get a good vibe from them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi Madilynn Teeny Post,

Do you know what the aftercare package is at Blackrock? I've had a look on their website but can't seem to find anything.
    Do you know if they offer a guarantee like other clinics, i.e a free top up if your prescription regresses within x amount of years.

Thanks,
    Lou

Sorry Lulou, I didn't see this before.

I'm not sure to be honest, I think there is one years aftercare included but beyond that I don't know. They have a really good enquiry line. I'll get you the number.

edit: here it is 1800 60 10 60

If anyone needs voucher's for optical express please pm me. I have 5 left and would be only happy to help :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭padair

If anyone needs voucher's for optical express please pm me. I have 5 left and would be only happy to help :):):)

what are the vouchers for..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ilovedexter

Go to Mater Private, Professor O'Keefe couldn't be praised enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackdock88

Hi lulou I went for a Consulation on Wednesday 21/09/2011 at 3pm to Optical Express in the White Water shopping center Newbridge Co Kildare. Consulation took approx 1 hour after which I was told that I was a suitable candidate. I was quoted €1,430 euro for lasik with intralase and wavefront. My right eye was -1.25 which cost €595 and my left eye -1.50 and cost €835 and after Hibernian Insurance -22.5% €321.75 it came in at €1,108.25. After deciding to go with that price I looked for the earliest appointment which turned out to be the following Mon 26/09/2011 at 10am. I arrived on Mon and got my eyes retested and at 12.30 had my operation by a Mr Dimitris Kazakos. Operation lasted 25 min's and rested for about 20 mins after that. Staff were very friendly and made me feel comfortable at all times. I went home and rested for the night and went for checkup the next day by which time my eyes felt comfortable and I could see perfect. Doctor told me I had better then 20/20 Vision and that I could read every line on the chart no problem overall I had a great experience with Optical Express and would Highly Recommend them to anyone. Only sorry that I left it so long to get them done but still delighted that things went so well. I hope this helps u and if i can answer any more questions or be of any help just shout. Kindest Regards Jimmy.

Gilman9955, do you work for optical express? It looks like it from your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Joe 1983

Hi I am looking for voucher for laser eye surgery with optical express would be willing pay part of voucher thanks for looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Archduke Ferdinand III

Try William Power in Blackrock

www.billypower.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Second for William Power in Blackrock. Went with him last February (2013) was thrilled with it. Definitely worth the extra money to go to Blackrock. Laser Eye Surgery is not the time to go bargain hunting.

Advertisement