Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private sales dead

• 01-06-2008 4:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Why's it so hard to sell a car in the current climate?

I've got a 2001 3-series which I'm trying to flog. Trouble is, it's in me granny's driveway and nobody trusts me when they call up and I say I'm living in England now... I guess I'll have to wait until I get home in July/August.

Any ideas? (bar my local dealer who simply won't take on any cars unless doing a trade-in)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cantab. wrote: »
    Why's it so hard to sell a car in the current climate?
    Are you being honest asking this question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭blue42

i think it just the economy has slowed a lot recently....its slow to sell anything these days..cars included!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wait until end of summer, will be easier then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's been a buyers market for the last few years anyway. Doesn't help that you're not there to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Actually quite surprising it is so slow, as is a great time to puchase. Plenty of fabulous deals out there, some people are actually panic selling going by the pricing floating around so think by waiting too long pricing may plateau out after the panic subsides hence loosing the good deal especially in the €35k/€40k market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I sold a car lately to the first person that came to see it, after 2 weeks on carzone. If it's not selling your price is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

testicle wrote: »
    I sold a car lately to the first person that came to see it, after 2 weeks on carzone. If it's not selling your price is too high.

My car is cheapest on Carzone by far and havn't had a call in over 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ronanom wrote: »
    As testicle says, if it's not selling then your price is too high.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Some people think that the very cheap ones have things wrong with them and are inclined to go for the ones a bit above the price, keep that in mind :)

What are you trying to sell?

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Some people think that the very cheap ones have things wrong with them and are inclined to go for the ones a bit above the price, keep that in mind :)

What are you trying to sell?

It's a 1.6L Hyundai Coupe and it's at a very good price

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-Bargain/419872/

Car is vrt'd on D-Reg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Car is vrt'd on D-Reg

I'd put fresh pictures up of the car on the "D" reg. It might make a difference.

I'd put fresh pictures up of the car on the "D" reg. It might make a difference.

Yea, I know haven;t got around to it but it does represent good value imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You'll be very lucky to sell that with foreign plates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I see an ad on Carzone with UK plates I just skip past it onto the next one.

It's a 1.6L Hyundai Coupe and it's at a very good price

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-Bargain/419872/

Car is vrt'd on D-Reg

You mention that there is still a warrenty on it. How does that work if its imported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

yeah me too, i always skip foreign reg cars and hyundais

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think that the dealers would have to honour the UK warranty on the car due to the EU rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hyundai give a 5 year warranty with their cars in the UK, we only get standard 3 years. Under an EU directive Hyundai still have to honor the extra 2 years over here afaik.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hyundai give a 5 year warranty with their cars in the UK, we only get standard 3 years. Under an EU directive Hyundai still have to honor the extra 2 years over here afaik.

Yup, that's true - I imported a 04 model last year and the indicator stalks went on it. Went through warranty and I didn't pay a penny even though it was after the 3 year Irish Warranty Period.

Will change over the plate and take more photos in next few days.

Have a deposit on a 2003 Skyline 350gt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yea, I know haven;t got around to it but it does represent good value imo

People will see the UK plates and not notice that you mention VRT has been paid. They will ignore your ad because they'll think with VRT it'll cost thousands more!
    Also - you know it's illegal to still have UK plates on that car?

On your car: VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX: €4555

€16,000 + €4,555 = €20,555

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

eth0_ wrote: »
    Also - you know it's illegal to still have UK plates on that car?

It's also illegal to take a piss in a public place..........but look at any big town or city late on a sat night. Everyone's doing it............just like all the Foreign reg cars going round, polish,uk,ni,slovak,whatever.........taking the PISS too!
    It's illegal yes - but sure who stopping them except for the odd checkpoint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Foreign reg cars going round, polish,uk,ni,slovak,whatever.........taking the PISS too!

Not always, if your working in Ireland for 6 months its perfectly legal.
    Same when you go abroad to a country in Europe, you wouldn't expect to have to get plates when you get there ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

craichoe wrote: »
    Same when you go abroad to a country in Europe, you wouldn't expect to have to get plates when you get there ffs.

Good grief............yeah, yeah,. yeah........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Yup, that's true - I imported a 04 model last year and the indicator stalks went on it. Went through warranty and I didn't pay a penny even though it was after the 3 year Irish Warranty Period.

Ditto, I bought a Megane in the UK last year, UK has a three year warranty V our two, Renault have confirmed that they will cover the car here for the three years. Yet another reason to buy in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

craichoe wrote: »

Don't wade into a thread without reading it first.
    The OP has paid the VRT on the car, so it's now an IRISH registered vehicle, not UK reg. He has presumably been out of the country for quite a while now, and never bothered to change the plates. Which is odd as you could be waiting for hours at the VRT office, and then it takes ten minutes to get plates made up.

This is absolutely not the same as someone working in Ireland for 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

something in the air this morning?

Thread is now very off topic and cruisin' for a bruisin' ...hence closed :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement