Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fibreglass and Oil question

Options
  • 23-03-2015 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Good morning,

A question came up over the weekend.

If someone was careless in servicing an inboard and managed to drain the oil directly into the bilge, will that work its way through hull?

This came up as we saw a boat that has what looks like an oil stain on its hull underneath where we assume the engine is. I would have assumed that the oil wouldn't permeate the hull but I'm told I'm incorrect, and that it can.

Any thoughts? The boat in question looked like it had been lying up for a long time.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Fiberglass is slightly porous and any liquid thats left sitting on it for a long time can leave staining also the fibreglass in a bilge wont have the extra protection of a gelcoat so a lot of the time they are painted to help protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks Fergal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ive heard of this happening with diesel, basically seeping into the laminate and weakening it. It can be an issue to fix as the it remains in the laminate and you cant really bond to it. I would imagine engine oil would have a similar effect.

If the bilge is painted out / gel washed like Fergal said I would think its less of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

if the hull is porous then it could have osmosis. that's a bad sign as underneath the boat is the strongest and thickest

Advertisement