Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vintage evinrude outboard

Options
  • 06-01-2015 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Morning all.

A vintage evinrude outboard is being sold on the donedeal website

Malachy

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It's the same as the johnson I'm doing at the moment but doesn't have the weedless leg that I'm looking parts for.http://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/evinrude-yachtwin-vintage-outboard/8400175
    It would make a nice little project for someone and I'd expect it not to have a spark as the coils always come apart but are still handy enough to get today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Hi Fergal.

Thanks for the information. It is standby engine and I left it in to a mechanic who said it was only firing on 1 plug and did not have the time to source the parts. Would this problem be easy to fix as I may attempt to fix it myself as I’m mechanical minded and it would be worth a try.

Regards

Malachy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It is an easy fix but you need the right tools, to get the flywheel off you need a pullers that will bolt on to it you can get a standerd pullers and drill 3 holes in it to match the one's on the wheel, once off you will be able to get at the coils as you can see on the one I'm doing at the moment they have broken down and are full of cracks I just picked up two new ones today for about €15 each. Have a look at the bottom of my page you can see a link to a 1958 evinrude I restored.

20150106_143846_zpsirwa22a0.jpg

This is the type of pullers I use, the 3 bolts must also be the right size thread to fit old OMC engines don't use a 10mm bolt as it will just pull out.

20150107_163728_zpsxkyxi934.jpg

20150107_163746_zpsc7y9tkwq.jpg

Thanks for the photos and the information which is very useful. At the minute I'm working away from home until the weekend. When I get home I will get the serial number and download a manual for this model and estimate if I can fix it. If possible can I contact you again about this matter. Is there much problems with the Johnson outboard you are currently working on.

Regards

Malachy

• Advertisement

I'm always here and willing to help in any way I can :) The one I'm working on seems ok it has good compression and thats the best starting point, next job is to rebuild the carb and fit a new impeller.

Morning Fergal.

I have done some research on the internet about these engines and they appear to run on forever, despite their age, provided they are treated right and well maintained.

Regards

Malachy

Yep as long as they weren't used in salt water too much they are worth the effort of a second life :)

Morning Fergal.

Good news. I finally got running the Seagull outboard I was enquiring about several weeks ago on a different thread on this board. The sparkplug was the main problem and the carb needs replacing as it appears to be leaking petrol. We tried the seagull out on zodiac inflatable and as my daughter pointed out it does not go very fast but at least it goes.

I'm now working on the evinrude yachtwin which I may also use on the inflatable. I have removed the recoil cover and about to take off the flywheel. The 3 holes in the flywheel take a quarter of a inch bolt but is that a BSW or BSF thread? They use the same thread as the bolts that hold the recoil cover on.

Malachy

I'm pretty sure the bolts are 1/4" x 20 UNC and they have the same thread per inch as BSW but are different to BSF, the BSW has a slightly different thread angle so it may not have the same strength as a UNC but should work fine.
    Congrats on the seagull another one saved :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. If my memory serves me, UNC stands for Unified Course. I will take the flywheel off at the weekend when I have more time. It would also be a good idea to replace both coils, condensers and points in order to make a good job of it as these components are readily available on the Internet

Malachy

Morning Fergal.

The parts for the evinrude yachtwin should arrive sometime this week. Could you please tell me what are the points and s/plug gap setting for this model and also the oil/petrol ratio.

Malachy

The points are around .020 and the plug .030.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement