Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 Guns on a deer licence???

Options
  • 18-10-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I have a mauser 7x64 which i use for deer hunting and is the gun on my deer licence.
    I am now looking at a tikka in 6.5x55 which i will also use for deer hunting.

How do i go about getting a deer licence for both of them?
    Do i amend my current deer licence to include the tikka or do i get a separate licence for it?

I am not in a rifle club so I need a deer licence to get the 6.5x55.
    I have 2 permissions on 2 different lands if i do need to get separate licences.

If ye are wondering why i want the second rifle:
    The mauser is a model 66 made in 1976 and is fitted with a fixed x6 zeiss scope and quick detach scope mounts all fitted pre 1990 as they are inscribed west germany.
    This rifle is great where i hunt as red deer are normally taken within 100 yards off sticks.
    However i now have permission to hunt on more open land where a bipod, variable scope and modifier would be great and i do not want to modify the mauser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

You will need 2 license now, one for each of your rifles. The deer license will cover any amount of the firearms that you own.

Your only problem may be a 'Good Reason' for the second license on the Tikka.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

One deer licence and two firearms licences. Your reason for having the Mauser is deer shooting, your reason for the tikka is because you deer shoot.

You are not limited to have just one gun for that purpose. Set ups, calibre, weight, construction all reasons why you might use different guns for the same task.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

NPWS wants evidence of possession of a suitable gun before they grant the hunting licence. After that they don't care if you shoot a deer with suitable rifle A or suitable rifle B. The only one to be convinced is your local Super as mentions above.

Advertisement