Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Bringing the noise, bringing the PAYNE! :D

Was unsure at first, but I'll still probably like it. Still has its homages (see Duke Nukem, it is still possible...and still possible to be up-to-date!). Different direction, but hopefully the same over-the-top bullet-time filled action packed game that I have grown to love.

🤪

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Basically it's Man on Fire - The Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

This...whats this ? This isnt max payne :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Why isn't it Max Payne? Looks ****in great if ya ask me, Cant wait for this, a game that WILL deliver..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Benzino

It's a shame Remedy are not making this one, they did a great job with the previous games. I'm still hopeful that it will be a good game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,435 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

nix wrote: »
    Why isn't it Max Payne? Looks ****in great if ya ask me, Cant wait for this, a game that WILL deliver..

Because Max Payne is all about the Noire.....and a full head of hair. This looks like it is stepping away from what made Max Payne. Will def be keeping my eye on this tho as I loved MP 1 & 2. Simply brilliant games!

Well its still feeling quite noire with the voice overs and its the same voice actor, its just in daylight and that can change in game as it progresses.

Infact the only thing thats making it seem different from the other two is the fact its daylight.

Its rockstar, i have every faith they will do us proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

I believe one of the Producers said there'll be some flashback missions to New York so we'll still get some old school Payne action in there too.

As for the setting, well we'll see how it goes. While I'll probably miss the dark, grimy New York environments, the shift to South America could work too, as ShiverinEskimo mentioned above, it worked for Man On Fire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,435 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well if there isn't a level where i'm walking along a blood trail with a screaming dead baby then it's not Max Payne!!! :D

Speaking of, I never saw the film, is it worth a watch or is whalberg just too awful?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There's mixed reactions, but I really enjoyed it...Thought the imagery of drug abuse / addiction was excellent. Max Payne shows no reaction or change in vocal tone........and neither does Marky Mark. Perfect role for him :D

🤪

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well if there isn't a level where i'm walking along a blood trail with a screaming dead baby then it's not Max Payne!!! :D

Speaking of, I never saw the film, is it worth a watch or is whalberg just too awful?

The movie is a pile of crap, its not a noir, no voice overs at all and **** all shoot outs, its a pile of crap. Think of what Anderson done to resi evil and thats how far off the mark they were with the Max Payne movie..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Not quite sure what to make of it yet, will see when more info is released.

Just hope he pulls a few faces like this:
    max_payne_face1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!

It's fúcking GTA IV in Brazil with bullet-time! :mad:

I am getting more and more tired of developers messing with ideas/concepts/styles that have proven to work. Just because COD sells, doesn't mean everything has to be like that!

And if you want proof, ignore the sound. The ONLY thing that makes it somewhat similar to Max Payne is Max's inner monologue and the music from Max Payne 2...

Tis a sad day...

Just read that Sam Lake has absolutely nothing to do with it :(

Liber8or wrote: »
    Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!

It's fúcking GTA IV in Brazil with bullet-time! :mad:

I am getting more and more tired of developers messing with ideas/concepts/styles that have proven to work. Just because COD sells, doesn't mean everything has to be like that!

And if you want proof, ignore the sound. The ONLY thing that makes it somewhat similar to Max Payne is Max's inner monologue and the music from Max Payne 2...

Tis a sad day...

You were expecting them to use the outdated graphics engine they used for part 1 and 2 :confused:

I'm one of the most over critical bastards when it comes to devs messing with games and ruining them, but i honestly cant see anything wrong with MP3, just that its showing alot of daylight, that would be my only gripe..

The fact that they may be using the GTA4 gfx engine could be a good thing in a sense, it would mean they have more time/money to spend on the story, it may end up being alot longer than the other 2 games put together which was a thing i didnt like about the other 2, i finished them in like a day..

GTA and max payne have always been similar, they are both 3rd person shooters, i cant see how you would have a problem with that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

nix wrote: »
    You were expecting them to use the outdated graphics engine they used for part 1 and 2 :confused:

I'm one of the most over critical bastards when it comes to devs messing with games and ruining them, but i honestly cant see anything wrong with MP3, just that its showing alot of daylight, that would be my only gripe..

The fact that they may be using the GTA4 gfx engine could be a good thing in a sense, it would mean they have more time/money to spend on the story, it may end up being alot longer than the other 2 games put together which was a thing i didnt like about the other 2, i finished them in like a day..

GTA and max payne have always been similar, they are both 3rd person shooters, i cant see how you would have a problem with that :confused:

Ofcourse they shouldn't use the engine from Max Payne 1 + 2, but the GTA IV engine is so outdated now, and it will look even worse on PC. Here's an idea, why not use the Alan Wake engine? Surely, Rockstar could have asked Remedy (the original designers of Max Payne) to use their engine? Its perfect for the dark, noire, atmospheric style game that Max Payne is.

GTA and Max Payne are in no way similar except for camera position - Third Person. Max Payne is a graphic novel animated, where the detail of words, atmosphere, mood, and the importance of depth of character is paramount making the game/novel both believable and relative to the gamer. GTA is a sand-box game for kids where they are told "Hey kids, go do what you want, the story isn't that important." GTA can not be compared to Max Payne. Simply can not. Except for the position of the camera, as I said.

Ok fair enough, but i doubt it will be a direct copy of GTA4 with max's voice sounding over, its rockstar, they are one of the few companies left that actually show care for their games. If it was activision/capcom/EA behind the wheel, then id be ****ting bricks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I can see them take away the comic book feel, the dark twisted story will step aside for a drug gansta POW POW!!! action movie instead , if i wanted to play a homless man with a drinking problem i would stick with condemned 2.
    Only thing that got got me excited bout that trailer was the music at the start.

Rockstar have tweeted a couple of facts about the game which should go someway to diffusing some of the amusing rage so far.
    "Yes, that is the voice of James McCaffery, original voice actor from Max Payne 1 and 2…"
    "Max Payne 3 is running on a new iteration of Rockstar's RAGE engine"
    "Today's Max Payne 3 trailer is all in-game footage "
    "Like GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3 uses the Natural Motion character behavior system for lifelike weight and movement"
    "No, Max Payne 3 is not an open world game – we're staying true to Max's roots in atmosphere, story and gameplay design"
    "Today's Max Payne 3 trailer shows a small part of Max's journey – much more info soon"

Not sure why people are complaining about the GTA thing, the fact that they're using the RAGE engine won't affect the game at all. As for asking Remedy to use the Alan Wake engine, well it just doesn't work like that. :)

As it stands, the only valid complaint is the change of setting to Brazil and the accompanying sunlight. As for how that effects the game, well I guess we'll have to wait for some gameplay footage first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it looks, and sounds great. Games can be suitably gritty and dark, without being physically dark all the time. As long as they do the gunplay well, i'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think it looks, and sounds great. Games can be suitably gritty and dark, without being physically dark all the time. As long as they do the gunplay well, i'll be happy.

Kiith wrote: »
    Aye, I'm looking forward to seeing how the slo-mo diving around feels with Natural Motion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

gizmo wrote: »
    Aye, I'm looking forward to seeing how the slo-mo diving around feels with Natural Motion too.

That should be great.

Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This, done right, could be my excuse to get a new machine!

gizmo wrote: »
    As it stands, the only valid complaint is the change of setting to Brazil and the accompanying sunlight. As for how that effects the game, well I guess we'll have to wait for some gameplay footage first.

Not the only valid complaint to be fair, the fact Sam Lake isn't writing the script is a pretty fair complaint to make.

Burgo wrote: »
    Not the only valid complaint to be fair, the fact Sam Lake isn't writing the script is a pretty fair complaint to make.
    Quite true, I'm surprised they didn't get Lake on board for the game, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to given his association with the game already.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Max Payne 1: Winter
    Max Payne 2: Autumn
    Max Payne 3: Summer

Summer = sunlight.
    Where can be sunnier than Brazil?

Also; to put a pretty blunt point on it; the games aren't called "Noir game set exclusively in New York city, which intentionally rolls out many action movie tropes in order to tell it's story". They're called "Max Payne".

And Max Payne is in this. It's about the man's journey; not his physical location in life.

I don't know which branch of Rockstar is doing this; but looking at something along the lines of Read Dead Redemption, I'm actually pretty happy that they're taking over the reins for this one. Dare I even be so bold as to say it - happier that Rockstar are doing it than Remedy.
    And I never thought I'd hear myself saying that.
    (I frankly got pretty bored at the halfway point of A.W. and had to fight to finish it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I remember seeing screenshots of the original before it was released and thinking, right, thats it, videogames never have to look better than this.

How far we've come! Can't wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Who is Max trying to look like....Sam Fisher?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never liked the first two, far too repetitive, other than laughing at how badly written they were so I'm all for a new direction. It worked for Red Dead.

Advertisement