Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science?

• 19-02-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32 livelaughlove

Hi.
    Im thinking of going to Cork next year to study Biomedical Science and I just have a few questions.
    Are many of the lectures and labs in Cit? and does anyone know what the timetable is like? i looked at the one on the UCC website but none of the classes seem to be in CIT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Hey I don't do the course but my housemate does. She has this to contribute:
    Biomedical Science this year is a joint course between UCC and CIT and there will be about half the classes and labs in CIT and UCC.
    I don't know what the timetable would be like as I am one of the last years to do the old course, but I could take a guess that you would be starting around 9 in one college and then probably have to go to the other college around lunch time for the rest of the classes.
    The course would probably run like both colleges: CIT classes being semesterised, with final exams in Christmas, and UCC not being semesterised with all final exams being in the Summer.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

Hi.
    Im thinking of going to Cork next year to study Biomedical Science and I just have a few questions.
    Are many of the lectures and labs in Cit? and does anyone know what the timetable is like? i looked at the one on the UCC website but none of the classes seem to be in CIT?

I'm in 2nd year now, we were the 1st year to do it between the two colleges! In 1st year most of the modules are in CIT, we only had two modules in UCC that year! This year its pretty much half and half between the two... Timetable is pretty hectic, you're looking at about 30 hours a week, pretty much the standard for a science course! Hope that answers your questions, let me know if you have anymore!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Just wondering what's the course like? I only do one science (biology) for the Leaving Cert.. Would I find it really difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

Just wondering what's the course like? I only do one science (biology) for the Leaving Cert.. Would I find it really difficult?

The people who did chemistry for the leaving will probably find the chemistry modules easier than those who didn't do it, but it really depends on the person! Some people who had never done chemistry before thought it was fine, while others got a leaving cert rapid revision book to get the basics! Either way you should be grand!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aquarian_fire

As long as you're interested the course you should be fine. I'm in final year Biomedical science now and it's been a great 4 years. If you have any trouble with the material you're learning, just ask lecturers. They're always happy to help people who show interest in what they're teaching. Also, there are loads of books in the libraries that explain things very simply so you can understand things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

As long as you're interested the course you should be fine. I'm in final year Biomedical science now and it's been a great 4 years. If you have any trouble with the material you're learning, just ask lecturers. They're always happy to help people who show interest in what they're teaching. Also, there are loads of books in the libraries that explain things very simply so you can understand things.

I've heard it's a tough course though. Is it? :(
    What does the job at the end entail? :)

It's tough, without a doubt, but everything worth doing is. After all the work is done the feeling you get at having it finished is amazing, and I know that sounds clichéd, but it's true. :) Plus it's really interesting!

A job at the end would involve working in a hospital lab, doing their tests or you could go on to do research in a lab for illnesses, etc. It'd mostly be lab-based anyway, we're quite good at that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jamesdots

hi i'm just wondering, is it very awkward going from CIT and UCC?? i heard there a bit apart from eachother??
    and would you be living in UCC or CIT?? and i think someone said to me that the degree given is fromm UCC? is that true??

The number 5 bus takes you from college road at UCC to outside CIT, so it's not that awkward. They pass every 15 mins so you don't have to wait that long either.

As for living somewhere, I've always lived around UCC, but my biomed course is different from people doing it now. As far as I know it is a UCC degree in the end, but that should influence where you live at all. Look at your timetable as soon as you can and figure out where most of your classes are (or find out off someone the year ahead if possible), and decide that way as it will be more convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Ok, I know Im late in replying to this thread and by all accounts applications have already been made and exams completed etc.. but heres my input.

I just finished 1st year of this joint CIT/UCC program. It was the second year of the new course so there are still things that need to be ironed out. But in general, I loved the year. Theres only 30 people in the class so its small and you get to know everyone on a first name basis very quickly.

As already mentioned, 1st year was a sort of foundation course, introducing modules and subjects we will be taking further down the line, like Haematology, Histology, Micro, etc. In 1st year we kind of touched on everything but not in too great detail, but enough at the same time to get the basic concepts.

The CIT v UCC thing is great. Being part of both institutes is a huge advantage because you get double the resources to everything. Ok the library and the facilities in UCC are better, but that said, the teaching style of CIT is much more student friendly - in UCC its very much up to yourself.

In terms of the timetable, we had 2 core modules, Physics and Maths that were run by UCC and then the rest were run by CIT... but in terms of geography, we were taught CIT modules on the UCC campus. It worked out about 3 days were in UCC and 2 were in CIT. We only had one day whereby we were in both but had like 3 hours or something to get between the two colleges. Thats not a problem. The no 5 is regular but its only about a 25 minute walk which I really liked as it gave me time to be alone and think about things - which is rare during the college day. Was a way of keeping fit I suppose.

In terms of the modules themselves: Physics and Maths were more or less the LC HL course... with bits excluded. A lot of us found Physics hard as we hadnt done it before and no offense to UCC but the lectures werent great. The only thing to do was keep up with the assignments and start looking at exam papers from the start. Maths the same. If you did HL you would be fine but you still have to work at it. They changed some of the format for us because the module had become very repetitive of past years but everyone ended up doing well in that.

Then for the CIT modules; Chemistry again, if you did it for the LC you would have no problems but people who hadnt managed fine. Just a matter of studying the stuff. They kind of divided the year into 2 semesters so you complete one batch of modules by christmas and then do the second set after Christmas. As I already said, the CIT modules all seemed to be introductory types into what would be studied later... but you get a feeling fast for what you like and dislike which is great.

In terms of labs; these were all done out in CIT. apart from Physics. They were nice and theres loadsa help on offer... but the reports take a lot of time on your own to complete and get a good mark in. They all count to the final grade.

Whats great about CIT is that your grade is based on continuous assessments - so the pressure isnt as bad to do well in the end of year paper. But that said, it also means you have to work all year, with no let up. 2nd year is meant to be tough but Id say if you do well in 1st year with the ground work, that will stand to you.

The only thing that bothered me about the duality were the holidays. CIT were off for January while UCC had classes. Then UCC were off for April while CIT had classes. SO after the christmas break it seemed like there was no time off at all. ALso, we broke for xmas vacation about the 10th december and were not back to CIT till February. It was too long and getting back into the study mode after all that time was hard. Exhausting in fact. But I think they will try change that from now on and try make the holidays the same... but its difficult to do that when you have other groups in with you for some classes.

But in general, the course is a challenge but an interesting one. The people are nice, the lecturers are really nice and you can do very well with effort.

Good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Does anyone have any idea of what employment is like in this area??
    Edit - and does this course offer work experience?

Also - is your degree at the end from UCC or CIT?
    Could someone PLEASE answer!!!!

• Does anyone have any idea of what employment is like in this area??
    Edit - and does this course offer work experience?

The course has changed since I did it (graduated in the early 2000s. - there was a work placement in year 3 of the 5) There is now a clinical placement lasting an academic year after fourth year which is optional, but you need to do it if you want to work in a hospital lab as a qualified medical scientist. This would be based in one of the labs of a hospital in the Southern region, e.g. Cork University Hospital, Mercy hospital, Waterford Regional etc. UCC award the degree. Employment in this area is scarcer than usual, though with retirements there would be some jobs, but then there's a moratorium on recruitmemt within the HSE, but that's been applied right across the board in hospitals - for nurses, physios, radiographers, SLTs etc. in fact what area isn't there a lack of jobs in ???? :rolleyes:

It's a fantastic course if you're interested in studying scientific stuff linked to human diseases, but the job itself is very routine, with little contact with other hospital staff and none with the patients. There are good opportunities to be had in the line of research too.

The course has changed since I did it (graduated in the early 2000s. - there was a work placement in year 3 of the 5) There is now a clinical placement lasting an academic year after fourth year which is optional, but you need to do it if you want to work in a hospital lab as a qualified medical scientist. This would be based in one of the labs of a hospital in the Southern region, e.g. Cork University Hospital, Mercy hospital, Waterford Regional etc. UCC award the degree. Employment in this area is scarcer than usual, though with retirements there would be some jobs, but then there's a moratorium on recruitmemt within the HSE, but that's been applied right across the board in hospitals - for nurses, physios, radiographers, SLTs etc. in fact what area isn't there a lack of jobs in ???? :rolleyes:

It's a fantastic course if you're interested in studying scientific stuff linked to human diseases, but the job itself is very routine, with little contact with other hospital staff and none with the patients. There are good opportunities to be had in the line of research too.

Thanks for replying! Do you enjoy it yourself? I don't mind routine, but it's not boring is it? I love the actual modules (really like chem and biology), I'm just not so sure about the lab part of it!

• Thanks for replying! Do you enjoy it yourself? I don't mind routine, but it's not boring is it? I love the actual modules (really like chem and biology), I'm just not so sure about the lab part of it!

I enjoyed the course overall, it was tough at times with lots of work and you need to stay on top of things from the start or you will get bogged down later (the few dossers in the class had major problems when it came to summer exams and had to repeat them in the Autumn. A couple dropped out. There were only a handful though). Keep on top of things and you'll fly it, if you're interested in the modules you'll have no problems.

Working in a hospital lab is really all you can get out of it, as in a 'job' at the end (it personally wasn't for me, I prefer working with people, but the job itself isn't too hard, and pays well, that is if you can get to get a job at the end with cutbacks !!). There are some opportunities to get into rep work with a company.

You can go on to further study or get into research if you're that way inclined and have ambitions of developing new tests to help diagnose different diseases/finding cures/discovering something new which causes a particular disease etc. so it has the potential to provide plenty of opportunities for research scientists.

I enjoyed the course overall, it was tough at times with lots of work and you need to stay on top of things from the start or you will get bogged down later (the few dossers in the class had major problems when it came to summer exams and had to repeat them in the Autumn. A couple dropped out. There were only a handful though). Keep on top of things and you'll fly it, if you're interested in the modules you'll have no problems.

Working in a hospital lab is really all you can get out of it, as in a 'job' at the end (it personally wasn't for me, I prefer working with people, but the job itself isn't too hard, and pays well, that is if you can get to get a job at the end with cutbacks !!). There are some opportunities to get into rep work with a company.

You can go on to further study or get into research if you're that way inclined and have ambitions of developing new tests to help diagnose different diseases/finding cures/discovering something new which causes a particular disease etc. so it has the potential to provide plenty of opportunities for research scientists.

Ok, thanks so much for the feedback :)

• Ok, thanks so much for the feedback :)
    You're welcome, and best of luck in whatever u end up choosing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

Can anybody give any updates about this course? Pondering whether to choose this or biochem (ck402).

Also would not having done chemistry being a big disadvantage or would I be okay in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gitiana

felic wrote: »
    Ok, I know Im late in replying to this thread and by all accounts applications have already been made and exams completed etc.. but heres my input.

I just finished 1st year of this joint CIT/UCC program. It was the second year of the new course so there are still things that need to be ironed out. But in general, I loved the year. Theres only 30 people in the class so its small and you get to know everyone on a first name basis very quickly.

As already mentioned, 1st year was a sort of foundation course, introducing modules and subjects we will be taking further down the line, like Haematology, Histology, Micro, etc. In 1st year we kind of touched on everything but not in too great detail, but enough at the same time to get the basic concepts.

The CIT v UCC thing is great. Being part of both institutes is a huge advantage because you get double the resources to everything. Ok the library and the facilities in UCC are better, but that said, the teaching style of CIT is much more student friendly - in UCC its very much up to yourself.

In terms of the timetable, we had 2 core modules, Physics and Maths that were run by UCC and then the rest were run by CIT... but in terms of geography, we were taught CIT modules on the UCC campus. It worked out about 3 days were in UCC and 2 were in CIT. We only had one day whereby we were in both but had like 3 hours or something to get between the two colleges. Thats not a problem. The no 5 is regular but its only about a 25 minute walk which I really liked as it gave me time to be alone and think about things - which is rare during the college day. Was a way of keeping fit I suppose.

In terms of the modules themselves: Physics and Maths were more or less the LC HL course... with bits excluded. A lot of us found Physics hard as we hadnt done it before and no offense to UCC but the lectures werent great. The only thing to do was keep up with the assignments and start looking at exam papers from the start. Maths the same. If you did HL you would be fine but you still have to work at it. They changed some of the format for us because the module had become very repetitive of past years but everyone ended up doing well in that.

Then for the CIT modules; Chemistry again, if you did it for the LC you would have no problems but people who hadnt managed fine. Just a matter of studying the stuff. They kind of divided the year into 2 semesters so you complete one batch of modules by christmas and then do the second set after Christmas. As I already said, the CIT modules all seemed to be introductory types into what would be studied later... but you get a feeling fast for what you like and dislike which is great.

In terms of labs; these were all done out in CIT. apart from Physics. They were nice and theres loadsa help on offer... but the reports take a lot of time on your own to complete and get a good mark in. They all count to the final grade.

Whats great about CIT is that your grade is based on continuous assessments - so the pressure isnt as bad to do well in the end of year paper. But that said, it also means you have to work all year, with no let up. 2nd year is meant to be tough but Id say if you do well in 1st year with the ground work, that will stand to you.

The only thing that bothered me about the duality were the holidays. CIT were off for January while UCC had classes. Then UCC were off for April while CIT had classes. SO after the christmas break it seemed like there was no time off at all. ALso, we broke for xmas vacation about the 10th december and were not back to CIT till February. It was too long and getting back into the study mode after all that time was hard. Exhausting in fact. But I think they will try change that from now on and try make the holidays the same... but its difficult to do that when you have other groups in with you for some classes.

But in general, the course is a challenge but an interesting one. The people are nice, the lecturers are really nice and you can do very well with effort.

Good luck...

Hi, I was just wondering if you had college on Fridays with the joint CIT/UCC course? Its just im trying to work things out so I can go to college and keep working at the weekends :) Thanks for your help in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Gitiana wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if you had college on Fridays with the joint CIT/UCC course? Its just im trying to work things out so I can go to college and keep working at the weekends :) Thanks for your help in advance!
    Hello, I'll be in biomed too!! Last year they had lectures up to 4 o clock on a Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Gitiana

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Hello, I'll be in biomed too!! Last year they had lectures up to 4 o clock on a Friday :)

Well that's annoying :/ Are you in first year biomed in cit/ucc?

Yeah I'm going into first year, I'm guessing you are too?
    Thursdays were really quiet last year- only 2/3 lectures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ash98

Hey, I am a 6th year student from Dublin. And I love biology. I was thinking of going into biomedical science. I am torn between DIT or UCC. I myself prefer to study in a university. But I'll have to find accommodation and it is going to cost extra. But could someone tell me the benefits of doing the course in UCC over DIT. And also if there is clinical placements during the 4 year course in UCC because DIT has 25 week clinical placement in 3rd year. Thanku.

I'm just starting first year now, tbh I dunno is there much difference between the 2 courses.
    The points for DIT were 500 and CIT/UCC 520* This year, so this may be a deciding factor.
    We dont specialize in any one area of biomedical science whereas you do in DIT, this gives us a broader degree.
    We do a years placement after graduating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helenlambkin

Both DIT and CIT/UCC Biomedical Science degrees are accredited so that graduates can work in hospital Pathology labs as Medical scientists [Ireland and UK]. Degree modules and content are very similar, but the placement is completed post-degree for CIT graduates,and during the degree for DIT. Accommodation id Dublin is more expensive, so it needs to be sorted way ahead if possible. Points are probably different because DIT is competing with similar-named courses in UCD and Maynooth. If you want the career open to working in a hospital laboratory as a Medical Scientist, make sure you choose an AMLS-accredited degree [CIT, DIT, GMIT, Ulster].
    Medical scientists have a huge range of interesting options to work in - detecting infections, performing blood assays,cross-matching blood for transfusion, typing tissues for transplantation, cancer diagnostics, testing for immune diseases, diabetes, anaemias and leukaemias, and lots of other diseases. The degree is brilliant for giving you a wide education about disease and the science and laboratory investigations behind it, and for post-graduate research in centres working on animal and human disease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Steppin Out

A lot of the CIT lecturer come over to UCC I heard from a hot bird. You'd get more hot gals in that course than others

Most of the time is spent in UCC, but it's a really tough course (in my opinion anyway). Don't do it if you lack work ethic. You need to be reeaaallly interested in science too :)

Most of the time is spent in UCC, but it's a really tough course (in my opinion anyway). Don't do it if you lack work ethic. You need to be reeaaallly interested in science too :)
    What year you in?

What year you in?

First year :)

• Advertisement

First year :)
    Oh, at this stage I'd probably view you as being too young for me so! I bumped into a few of the biomeds in a virology. It's a 4th year module for them but a 3rd year module for me

Advertisement