Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stop family from giving a religious funeral

Options
  • 22-10-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

When I die I want my remains to be donated to the Royal College of Surgeons to be used by them and then disposed of.

I don't want a funeral, head stone whatever and I know when I die my family will want to do all this. I'm an atheist and they're all bible thumping conservative Catholics.

Is there anyway to stop this happening? I don't want a mass I don't want prayers or flowers and I know it sounds pretty selfish but my body/organs are more use to society than rotting in a box 6ft under.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

make a will and put it in your will.
    do you have anything worthwhile to give away in your will? incentivise, if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Make your wishes known to them all, and put it in writing/in your will. Of course this won't stop them if they are really determined, and you'll be dead so you won't know, but if they can't respect you that much, what else can you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A will often isn't read until long after you're dead. So I wouldn't leave that as your direction after death and it's easy to ignore such wishes anyway. All you can do is make sure you're not eligible for a Catholic sacrament like a funeral by getting yourself excommunicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The medical sciences places don't always take your corpse though. Depends on whether they need it or not.

That would annoy me!

You need to confide in a friend (a lot younger than you!) who hopefully will survive you and observe your wishes.

Put a letter of wishes with your will with a solicitor. I have done that already.

Make sure that the executors of your will are likeminded and you trust them to understand and observe your wishes. Tell them beforehand what you want, and put it in writing to them aswell. That way, they can show family members who would want the whole shebang, that this is actually what you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

just tell them this is what you want to be done. Don't bother with the parents just tell a sibling or 2 and a couple of cousins if they are around.

• Advertisement

Chris___ wrote: »
    When I die I want my remains to be donated to the Royal College of Surgeons to be used by them and then disposed of.

I don't want a funeral, head stone whatever and I know when I die my family will want to do all this. I'm an atheist and they're all bible thumping conservative Catholics.

Is there anyway to stop this happening? I don't want a mass I don't want prayers or flowers and I know it sounds pretty selfish but my body/organs are more use to society than rotting in a box 6ft under.

Contact the college. They have forms to cover this. You sign it, return one copy to them, one to your doctor and keep the other. That's the way it was 20 odd years ago, when a relative did it. You'll find more info here. https://medicine.tcd.ie/anatomy/donations/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Is it mom and dad who will want the religious ceremonies to accompany your body after you expire? In all likelihood, you will bury them and not them burying you...don't worry about your funeral but maybe concentrate on living for the time being?

I've told my family members they can do whatever they please with what remains of my body when I'm finished with it or furnish me with whatever ceremony they choose to ease their grief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Surely a funeral is more about the people left behind and while you can talk to your family/next of kin as to your wishes surely once you are dead, you are dead, and what ever eases the pain of those left behind is the most important thing not stomping your foot and making it about the disposal of decaying tissue?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

lazygal wrote: »
    A will often isn't read until long after you're dead. So I wouldn't leave that as your direction after death and it's easy to ignore such wishes anyway. All you can do is make sure you're not eligible for a Catholic sacrament like a funeral by getting yourself excommunicated.

Just on this, how will the priest know that you have been excommunicated 20+ years previously?

They hardly check a register beforehand, if the family are pushing for funeral with all the trimmings.

Look for Ted_YNWA or Lazygal & see if they are on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Couple of thoughts:

1. As others have said, both legally and practically final decisions about disposal of your remains will be taken by your next-of-kin, not by you. Ultimately there is nothing you (or anyone else) can do to compel them to make the decisions that you would want. This is their decision, not yours.

2. Leaving your body to the RCSI or similar defers the decision about final disposal for about three years, but does not make it go away. When the medics are finished with you, a decision about respectful disposal is made in consultation with your next-of-kin. And if they’re not minded to do what you would have wanted within a couple of weeks of your death, they’ll hardly do it three years later.

3. In any event, RCSI (and, I think, all the medical schools) organise an annual (or at least periodic) service of thanksgiving and memorial in honour of those who have donated their remains. So if your objective is not to be the subject of any kind of religious liturgy at all, donating your remains may be counter-productive.

4. You can (and should) put your funeral wishes in your will but, as already pointed out in this thread, in all likelihood your will won’t be read until after you have been burned, buried or wrapped in black plastic and left at a bus-stop, as the case may be. So putting it in your will is not an effective way of communicating your wishes in this regard. You need to talk to your family. Talking to your friends is not enough; they will not be your next-of-kin.

5. I think the way forward here is not to think about what you don’t want, but to think about what you do. Accept that your family and friends do care about you, and will grieve when you die. (If this is not so you have bigger things to worry about than funeral arrangements!) They will likely need, and will certainly want, some kind of ritual to help them do that. Think about what kind of ritual you would like for yourself, and talk to them about it. If you simply present your wishes as angry negativity, they are more likely to be disregarded than if you ask for something positive, that would appeal to you and also meet their need to remember and honour you and to grieve at your loss.

6. If you really want to assert your wishes aggressively, one amusing possibility is to write a will which leaves cash or assets to your next-of-kin, but only on condition that they honour your funeral wishes. Obviously, this only works if you have cash or assets to leave, and if your next-of-kin are not also your dependents, so that you are comfortable to leave them with nothing, or with less than you might. And, equally obviously, you need to tell them while you’re still alive that you have written your will in this way. But this would, of course, piss them off - they’ll resent the implication that they will only honour your wishes if paid to do so - and in fact they might be so pissed off that, just to spite you, they will forego their inheritance and, instead of scattering your ashes at the birthplace of Richard Dawkins as you instructed, have you creosoted and exhibited in a shrine for popular devotion and the occasional miracle. So this is a risky strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Peregrinus wrote: »
    3. In any event, RCSI (and, I think, all the medical schools) organise an annual (or at least periodic) service of thanksgiving and memorial in honour of those who have donated their remains. So if your objective is not to be the subject of any kind of religious liturgy at all, donating your remains may be counter-productive.
    if i recall correctly, michael nugent has been making some decent progress on this issue, certainly in terms of the treatment of the grave sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

This is ridiculous, you'll be dead! You will cease to exist. Why do you care?

Let those left behind grieve and celebrate your life.

Quite a selfish act in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jon1981 wrote: »

My father is religious and would want a religious funeral. Would it be ok for me not to do this on the grounds that he'd be dead? Is it selfish for him to want his atheist children to provide him with a religious funeral?

I would hope that when I go the final act that my family perform for me wouldn't be pissing all over my beliefs (or lack thereof). Sure, I'll be dead, but aren't you supposed to respect the wishes of the deceased?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Chris___ wrote: »
    I know it sounds pretty selfish

You got one thing right at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

You"ll be dead why not just let Whatever makes your family grieve better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Presumably unless the OP has some terminal issue right now ( and he didn't say if he did) this will not be an issue when he is 80+. His parents and older relatives will be gone. His siblings might be gone. His friends won't care. And might be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

SameDiff wrote: »

How on earth do you arrive at that conclusion? A persons own beliefs shouldn't override those of the deceased who've asked for their remains to be treated in a particular way. The decent thing is to always try, where possible, to respect the wishes of the person who has passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Would it be selfish to make a will dividing up one's estate? Or maybe just let the family fight over the spoils like animals? It happens.

If we respect a person's wishes in regard to their estate, why not their remains too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Surely what would be selfish would be for those you left behind to ignore something you felt very strongly about while alive while working out your funeral arrangements. I also fail to see how the living could be said to be truly celebrating the deceased life while disrespecting the deceased wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Surely what would be selfish would be for those you left behind to ignore something you felt very strongly about while alive while working out your funeral arrangements. I also fail to see how the living could be said to be truly celebrating the deceased life while disrespecting the deceased wishes.

Exactly, if I were in charge of the funeral of a religious relative it would be wrong of me to impose my personal preferences on them.

A funeral or similar service should above all be respectful of the deceased and their way of life and their expressed wishes (if any) as to their treatment after death. Its purpose is to remember and offer respect to the life that ended, not soothe the living, although if it does that's a bonus.

Ireland is a society which holds that belief is deserving of respect but non-belief is not.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For those of us who grew up in the Cold War days, this type of funeral was always a possibility:

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Dealing with the remains of someone in the manner they wished for tends to be the norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Make a will with clear explicit instructions of what can and cannot take place, give a copy to a lawyer/solicitor where it should then be legally binding.

Even if you give your body to the RCSI will they not eventually have to dispose of it?

Have you spoken to your family about that? A ceremony/mark of respect to the life of the deceased doesn't have to be religious, but eventually something will have to happen to your body be it cremation or burial.

I get that you don't want a religious burial, but your body isn't going to be chuck out with last weeks newspaper, so how about having a discussion about what you do want?

jank wrote: »
    Make a will with clear explicit instructions of what can and cannot take place, give a copy to a lawyer/solicitor where it should then be legally binding.

It is a no brainer to challenge a will, and it is done all the time especially in terms of the disposal of assets. Not to mention the fact that in most cases a will is read after the funeral takes place. All anyone can really do is make your wishes plain when you are alive, put them in writing for your next of kin and hope they'll respect your wishes.
    Remember if you are not married your next of kin are your parents, and after their death, your siblings and their offspring, rather than a partner. Next of kin make the decisions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why not then enter into a written and legally binding contract with the RCSI if possible?

is there such a thing?
    i would suspect that if the RCSI got the slightest whiff that the family were dead against it, they're respect the family's wishes.

is there such a thing?
    i would suspect that if the RCSI got the slightest whiff that the family were dead against it, they're respect the family's wishes.

Families can veto the wishes of the deceased to donate organs so vetoing a funeral would be very tricky.

lazygal wrote: »
    Families can veto the wishes of the deceased to donate organs so vetoing a funeral would be very tricky.

This
    Similar to wishing to be an organ donor - you can carry the card and all the rest of it, but if your family/next-of-kin don't want you to be a donor they have the final say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

SameDiff wrote: »

How is it selfish?

Advertisement