Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sat Nav plotting wrong

• 16-06-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I have garmin nuvi 255 sat nav and also the co pilot europe app for the iPhone. I have been sent coordinates for my holidays in France. When i put in the coordinates it plots me in the same place in France on the sat nav and the iphone app - but its the wrong place - 2 hours away.

Naturally thought the coordinates were wrong but put them into google maps app or google earth and they are spot on !

Any ideas folks - I'm heading tomorrow !!

Cheers

Damien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Google Earth / Maps uses the convention that longitude (the second number) is -ve for west of Greenwich, and +ve for east of Greenwich. On the Garmin, you enter these as W for -ve (omit the - sign when entering) and E for +ve longitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

tradman wrote: »
    I have garmin nuvi 255 sat nav and also the co pilot europe app for the iPhone. I have been sent coordinates for my holidays in France. When i put in the coordinates it plots me in the same place on the sat nav and the iphone app - but its the wrong place - 2 hours away.

Naturally thought the coordinates were wrong but put them into google maps app or google earth and they are spot on !

Any ideas folks - I'm heading tomorrow !!

Cheers

Damien

Not exactly if this might be the case. But there are different ways of showing coordinates, as decimal degrees or decimal minutes seconds.

johnayo wrote: »
    Not exactly if this might be the case. But there are different ways of showing coordinates, as decimal degrees or decimal minutes seconds.
    Possibly both ... Garmins can allow you to enter in all 3 formats. Google Earth displays in decimal degrees only, whereas Garmins can accept decimal degrees, degrees and decimal minutes or degrees, minutes, seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tradman

Alun wrote: »
    Google Earth / Maps uses the convention that longitude (the second number) is -ve for west of Greenwich, and +ve for east of Greenwich. On the Garmin, you enter these as W for -ve (omit the - sign when entering) and E for +ve longitudes.

Thanks a million man - it was Latitutde North and Longitude East. I was putting in Longitude West.

Legend

No problem! Bear in mind that the line of zero longitude passes through France, so depending on where you are you might come across either W or E longitudes. Good luck, and enjoy your holiday :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement