Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

advertising motorhome for sale??

• 01-05-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

i sold my mh in lately and have been looking for "the one"

so far i have seen 6 in all parts of the country,

is it just me or does anybody agree that it would look way better to have the mh at very very least brushed out and possibly wash the floor in side and possibly wash the outside?? first impressions and all that,

out of the 6 i have seen not one was any where near clean i dont mean battered just dirty (lazy owners or could'nt be bothered),

4 were using photos that were 2 years old

all had belongings of present owner (impression i was getting was that if we dont get the stupid price were asking at least we wont have to load all our stuff back in again)

2 had a sq ft polished to show the "all she needs is a rub of polish" i dont fancy paying the guts of 30k and then have to polish it after that,

the latest one i looked at was a lovely mh but i couldnt believe the sheer lack of interest from owner, yellow light was on for diesel and nearly got stuck at top of hill, the wiper blades were a discrase a foot of rubber blade following when wipers were turned on, no water in the tank, no gas it show appliances working, had'nt been taxed in over a year ("but were using it all the time") and to top it off the oil light came on just as we were parking it up,this was a 2005 mh and he couldnt figure out why i wouldnt make an offer for it, (his asking price was non negotiable by the way)

another one had a lot of problems and when pointed out to owner he wanted to start to argue about it and literally told me it was in my head,
    namely loads of damp and rot, again no water or gas and full of camping gear, i actually got a friend to ring and ask a few questions about it and when asked about various issues "not that i know of" was the answers to the problems but the other questions were yes or no,

so it it just me or would you have your mh looking its best when advertising it to a potential buyer??
    have it in a presentable way?

now when i ring about a mh i ask lots of questions all the usual including are the pics taken lately!!

whats your experiences?? id love to hear them and i might even learn something to look out for in future!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Jebus - that's hard to believe.
    I know if I was ever selling I'd be doing my best to try and get my MH looking and functioning as well as possible.

Interesting about the fact that one wasn't even taxed for a year. I reckon these motorhomes were bought by people who weren't really that into them, but during the celtic tiger had the cash to splash and just bought one.

Out of curiosity - what age / size were the MHs you looked at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

If you are serious about selling it takes a fair bit of effort to to get a van ready some people dont seem to get this they just throw an add with some old photos they have on file and little else
    When i am selling i always unload the van have it spotlessly clean with all the paper work in order and if im buying i would expect to find the van i went to look at in a similar state,like the OP the amount of times i have turned up to view a van to find full of gear with bits that "will be sorted out" if you buy it,

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Other side of the coin is tyre kickers traipsing all over your van with no intention of buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

defike wrote: »
    Other side of the coin is tyre kickers traipsing all over your van with no intention of buying.
    id say even the tyre kickers would get turned off:o:o

deadlock,

i was looking at 6 berth 05/06 in region of 25/29k

when advertising my own i had it sparkling and got lots of idiots/tyre kickers,
    then one lad turned up spent 1.5 hours looking and driving and bought it,
    and said it was the first one he had seen with everything working and clean:D and i got very close to the asking price as it was as described,

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

I have my motorhome for sale and it is spotless. Some lad rings me last night and said he is coming up from Galway to look at a few today and he would call to me this evening so I removed whatever bits and pieces that was in it and still waiting for him.Even if he had bought another one during the day it is good manners to call and say so.Missed my cycle race because of it.

• Advertisement

RO 06 wrote: »
    I have my motorhome for sale and it is spotless. Some lad rings me last night and said he is coming up from Galway to look at a few today and he would call to me this evening so I removed whatever bits and pieces that was in it and still waiting for him.Even if he had bought another one during the day it is good manners to call and say so.Missed my cycle race because of it.
    ill agree with you about the manners to call, its curtious it only takes a minute to make a call,

ill disagree with you on having the bits in it if it is genuinely for sale, because you would have to move them anyway if it was sold, so be prepared and all that,

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

ill agree with you about the manners to call, its curtious it only takes a minute to make a call,

ill disagree with you on having the bits in it if it is genuinely for sale, because you would have to move them anyway if it was sold, so be prepared and all that,
    So you are saying if it is for sale I shouldnt be using it.

RO 06 wrote: »
    So you are saying if it is for sale I shouldnt be using it.
    you didnt say you were using it,
    sorry i got the wrong end of the stick:o

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

This would be one good reason for making campervan, motorhome & caravan habitation certificates compulsory.

At least then if you are buying or selling first question could be "do you have an up to date habitation cert - could you email me a picture of it?"

Will never happen though, will it?

Won't stop tyre kickers though.

Advertisement