Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Midi controller software

• 17-10-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have bought my daughter a Axiom 25 for her xmas and i am now looking to buy software for her Pc. She is 13 plays the piano well and also the guitar, I am looking for something not too hard to set up and use because im scared if the programme is to complicated she will loose interest fast. I have looked at videos of Ableton but looks too advanced and too exspensive. Fruity Loops is another i have seen. Is there any free stuff out there to get her going before i splash out on something that she may never use? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

corkscott wrote: »
    I have bought my daughter a Axiom 25 for her xmas and i am now looking to buy software for her Pc. She is 13 plays the piano well and also the guitar, I am looking for something not too hard to set up and use because im scared if the programme is to complicated she will loose interest fast. I have looked at videos of Ableton but looks too advanced and too exspensive. Fruity Loops is another i have seen. Is there any free stuff out there to get her going before i splash out on something that she may never use? Thanks

I think you've covered most there. Ableton is kind of the industry standard, a lot of people use it and it is advanced, Fruityloops is a bit more used by younger people but I know of some producers who create their tracks using it. If she has a Mac, which she probably doesn't, but Logic is the Mac alternative. I think Ableton (Windows) & Logic (Mac) are the two main professionally used program's. Reason is another one but it too is very complicated and advanced.

I'd recommend Fruity Loops. She'll probably find that more to her liking, it's relatively inexpensive also. But it does come down to a matter of choice. All are good program's.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭corkscott

Thanks DubDJ i was thinking fruityloops myself, Ableton is waaay tooo exspensive maybe after she makes a few quid she can upgrade :), next on my list is a good set of speakers for her PC then hopefully Santa is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

corkscott wrote: »
    Thanks DubDJ i was thinking fruityloops myself, Ableton is waaay tooo exspensive maybe after she makes a few quid she can upgrade :), next on my list is a good set of speakers for her PC then hopefully Santa is finished.

It is a superior programme but yeah it's much more expensive.

Try go towards studio monitors instead of PC speakers. PC speakers usually aren't the best sound quality wise. It'll work in your favour in the long run if you get a good pair of speakers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

You could go 'open source' (= free) with MuseScore, which is a notation editor. Takes MIDI in and has sounds too. For a full-on Digital Audio Workstation DAW á la Logic/Cubase/ProTools without the high price tag, then try Reaper
    http://www.reaper.fm/

Reaper is a full-on professional DAW, though it has a bit of a learning curve. Having said that so do the others. With Reaper you can host VST instruments, and there are 100's of free good ones out there. It wouldn't be too hard to create a few templates for her to use.

On the Mac front, GarageBand has instruments & tracks to record on and is easy to use.

If you have a second PC, then an installation of Ubuntu Studio (Linux) comes with dozens of audio programs as standard, including Ardour - the DAW for Linux.

Advertisement