Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festival Tipping Competition Application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If its any help, i think the home page looks well. Very inviting for 1st timers and the fact you include that its not for money would encourage people to sign-up.

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm getting the same Nulty.

Register

8 errors prohibited this account from being created:

First name can't be blank
    Last name can't be blank
    Username can't be blank
    Username is too short (minimum is 6 characters)
    Email can't be blank
    Email is invalid
    Password doesn't match confirmation
    Password Missing password
    *All fields are required

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

My problem stems from security features I'm implementing (you don't want someone hacking into the application and getting at user records, do you? Especially later when I'll hope fully taking payment for the "payed game" option). They're a bit of a hack for now but they work, only problem is they're ****ing up the user access. Thats why signing up and activation emails are being affected. When I fix one thing, it breaks another. Especially when its deployed - things that work on my local machine break when uploaded and run on the web server which is much more picky about things than my test server.

I won't get my hopes up for getting it ready for Royal Ascot. I have a lot on my plate here so its gonna take time. I'll test and retest it before asking you to use it again.

I may take out the email activation and let users create an account just for Royal Ascot. It'll be a dumbed down version but it'll take selections, put them on a leaderboard and thats all that we need for that. And I can keep working on the main application in the background. If I can get that to work seamlessly then we can have a one-off Royal Ascot competition.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I'm getting the same Nulty.

Register

8 errors prohibited this account from being created:

First name can't be blank
    Last name can't be blank
    Username can't be blank
    Username is too short (minimum is 6 characters)
    Email can't be blank
    Email is invalid
    Password doesn't match confirmation
    Password Missing password
    *All fields are required

Don't bother with it for now, its going to take time to get it working.

Okie doke. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

Try it again. It works for me. Even with non-gmail accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fair play Nulty. :)

:eek:

Its working?

:P

I'm starting to get the horses together for the G1s at Royal Ascot starting with Goldikova (ladies first!). I'll make the Royal Ascot registration available in the next couple of days. Looking forward to it!

If theres any thing you don't understand or think could work better (not look better, at least for now) then don't hesitate to drop a note here or to the email at the bottom of the home page.

Signed her up last night Nulty

Going to do another test competition on Saturday.

I really need a test to go smoothly before trying the Royal Ascot Competition.

Sign up today and the races for Saturday will be available at midnight (sharp!) tonight. I'll be able to update non runners fairly regularly so if you think you've selected a non-runner, I can destroy your selection so you can make a new one.

So sign up today or tomorrow and you can make selections right up until the off time of each race.

I haven't implemented a "Lost Password" function yet so try keep hold of your password until after next week at least!

These are the 6 races for Saturday:

Time|Track|Race|TV?
    2:40| York| ladbrokes.com Stakes (Handicap) Cl2 1m208y |CH4
    2:55| Sandown| totesport 0800 221 221 Handicap Cl2 7f16y|CH4
    3:15| York| Bond Tyres Trophy Stakes (Handicap) Cl2 6f |CH4
    3:20| Chester| Raymond Corbett Memorial Handicap Cl2 7f122y|-
    3:30| Sandown| totesport.com Scurry Stakes (Listed Race) Cl1 5f6y| CH4
    3:55| Chester| Bet At corbettsports.com Handicap Cl2 1m2f75y|-

Far from easy races! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Haven't had a chance to register yet but the site could do with a lot of work SEO wise if you want it to turn up in search results.

If you need any pointers just ask.

Thanks B. Very generous offer. I might just take you up on it in the future.

Click the race names to check the form for the races:

Time|Track|Race|TV?
    2:40| York| ladbrokes.com Stakes (Handicap) Cl2 1m208y |CH4
    2:55| Sandown| totesport 0800 221 221 Handicap Cl2 7f16y|CH4
    3:15| York| Bond Tyres Trophy Stakes (Handicap) Cl2 6f |CH4
    3:20| Chester| Raymond Corbett Memorial Handicap Cl2 7f122y|-
    3:30| Sandown| totesport.com Scurry Stakes (Listed Race) Cl1 5f6y| CH4
    3:55| Chester| Bet At corbettsports.com Handicap Cl2 1m2f75y|-

Reminder to get your selections in for the today!

Registration ends at 2.20 And you can make your selection right up until the official off time of each race.

Amateur error occurred - all fixed.

I'm not going to screw around with it anymore so it will definitely work smoothly throughout the afternoon.

Promise :D

If you're really interested (which I'm sure you're not) to know why the system wasn't working, heres why -

I changed my smtp password last night because it was blatantly guessable but forgot to tell the application about the change so it wasn't able to send the activation emails.

I have resent activation emails so check your inbox

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Nulty wrote: »
    Amateur error occurred - all fixed.

I'm not going to screw around with it anymore so it will definitely work smoothly throughout the afternoon.

Promise :D

If you're really interested (which I'm sure you're not) to know why the system wasn't working, heres why -

I changed my smtp password last night because it was blatantly guessable but forgot to tell the application about the change so it wasn't able to send the activation emails.

I have resent activation emails so check your inbox

I think you have spoken too soon, I just registered again and still cannot get an activation e-mail.

Are you sure? Its working as far as I can see. PM me your email address and I'll sort you out

Nice one Crumbs, winner of the inaugeral Big Race Winners competition with a profit of 9.43pts

Things should be much smoother for the Royal meeting. This was a great trial run and I learned a lot from it and ironed out a lot of creases in the guts of the application but still have plenty to work on.

Thanks for taking part everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Well done Nulty very good trial even if i couldn't pick my nose never mind a winner! Roll on Ascot:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Just a suggestion Nulty but would it not be a good idea to enable users to go e/w on horses? Say they would get a quota of 20 points for a festival and could distribute them as they wish, even able to put more than 1 point on certain picks.

It might be too late now but it would keep the competition open until every race as someone could have a 20/1 winner in the last to go top or something.

Looks cool anyway I'll look forward to seeing the finished article. :)

Each way betting is something I might to add later but not before Ascot. Its added hassle when calculating each way terms but its doable. I'm just not sure it'll add that much to the app. Finding winners is what the app is all about i.e. Big Race Winners .

I'm still undecided.

As for deciding your stakes, I think this is almost essential in making the effort to ensure there is a clear cut winner. As it stands now its too likely that there will be a tie, staking would make that less likely.

I'm going to tighten up what I've got for now though and think about expanding it later.

Any further suggestions are welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 cronkfield

Hi Nulty,

You can try my website, which hosts tipping comp's for all the big festivals. Save you the work. www.sportinggalaxy.com

Thanks but

1) I need the practice in building web applications
    2) My site will always provide a FREE game option
    3) I've started so I'll finish

Royal Ascot is open for business!

I hope it goes smoothly but **** happens! It'll be a while before I open the application for business again after this cause theres so much work to be done. This was obviously a rush job so it could be available for Ascot. Next festival could be Longchamp or Champions Day or even Breeders Cup....we'll have to see. It'll be much better by then though.

Good luck to all who sail in her! :)

**** happened already :o

Some users were destroyed and will need to sign up again. I know Esprit is one of them. Really sorry about that. I added some code I didn't think would be destructive to the database tables but it turns out it was.

Jesus! I just looked at it for the first time in Internet Explorer and its not pretty!

Reminder - I've only tested it in FireFox and Chrome so best use those browsers for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nulty wrote: »
    Royal Ascot is open for business!
    Pity you didn't open it earlier than you did, really should have been open two days ago :-(

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

ziggy67?

Its must be a bug in the festival registration, you are registered so go to the tips page and make your selections. Any problems, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Pity you didn't open it earlier than you did, really should have been open two days ago :-(

It was open, races were available from midnight on Sunday. I just announced it t'other day. You had time to register up until 2.10 - unless you're posting from a mobile device which I doubt is supported.

• Advertisement

After race 1

Canford cliffs wins

Position| Username| Profit/Loss |Bets
    1| Istabraq| 2.35| 5
    2| only1stevo| 2.35| 6
    3| Esprit| 2.35| 1
    4| bonescap| 2.35| 4
    5| aidankk| 2.35| 6
    6| mr.jingle| 2.35| 6
    7| Denners_Fly| 2.35| 6