Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nicky Byrne - ignorant or just plain stupid?

Options
  • 18-03-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭

Anybody spot Westlife 'Star' Nicky Byrne's major faux pas at the Paddy's Day Parade yesterday?

Nicky was sitting in the front row of the VIP grandstand outside the GPO on O'Connell Street and as the Presidential motorcade approached, everyone was asked by the MC to 'show respect and be upstanding for the guest of honour'. All 300 or so guests did stand up - EXCEPT Nicky Bleedin Byrne and his wife Georgina who remained seated with their kids on their laps! Even when the President approached him to greet him (shouldn't that really be the other way around?:confused:) he still remained seated and only managed to raise himself a couple of inches off his seat to 'allow' President McAleese to kiss him. To add insult to injury, he didn't even take off his sunglasses as she approached and the President almost knocked them off his face as she kissed him. How rude can one person be?!!

Do these so-called 'celebrities' think they are immune to the protocols of being in the presence our nation's President? Regardless of your opinion of Mary McAleese, do you not think this showed huge disrespect to the Office of the President? Is North County Dublin's answer to Posh 'n Becks completely ignorant or just plain thick? I imagine he didn't deliberately set out to snubb President McAleese, but do they really think they are 'above' having to stand up? Also, as a daughter of the former Taoiseach, you'd think that Georgina would be a little more savvy regarding the correct protocols surrounding these things. I don't accept the possible excuse either that they had the kids on their laps as lots of the people in the grandstand had small kids with them (Ray D'Arcy among them and he managed to stand up!).

If you missed it, the incident happened live on TV and the parade coverage is available on the RTE Player - the Presidential arrival is around 6 mins into it iirc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

He should be tried for treason and executed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Who gives a toss about the president or any other 'dignitary'. No one is more deserving to be treated above or below anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You spend the past 10 years with people (kids are people too remember!) falling over themselves to catch a glimpse of you and you start to believe you must be something special i suppose. She's the f.ucking president, stand up you ill mannered little pox. What a muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Isn't he tiny anyway. Kinda like a pixie. Maybe he was standing? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

WindSock wrote: »
    Who gives a toss about the president or any other 'dignitary'. No one is more deserving to be treated above or below anyone else.
    +1.

There was me thinking we're all equal :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Ah, but I'd make an effort to stand if I was being introduced to anyone who was already standing. Good manners is good manners, whether it's towards the president of Ireland or Mary from down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

You are not showing respect to the person, you are showing respect to the office she holds and to the people who elected her to that office and to the many who died for her to be able to hold that office. :rolleyes:
    Get a grip of yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

We are all equal, doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the president of your country. No one is asking him to donate his kidneys, just get off his disrepectfull idiot ass for a second. I bet the snivelling little s.hit stands to greet simon cowell!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Maybe he disagreed with her about something and didn't stand on principle?

Maybe he... Who the **** cares?!

What a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Who's Nicky Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Was he the token celebrity? I didn't spot anyone else, you'd think they'd aim higher for such a big event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Nicky Byrne is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Ignorant twat. With the amount of gardaí on bikes there, you'd think one of them would've smacked him with a leather glove at least.

On a side note: I'm amazed RTE's player actually managed to let me click on the 6 min point and play without imploding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

We are all equal, doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the president of your country. No one is asking him to donate his kidneys, just get off his disrepectfull idiot ass for a second. I bet the snivelling little s.hit stands to greet simon cowell!
    When my country stops fúcking me over I'll respect it's representatives ;)

Also, I didn't vote her in so, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fago! wrote: »
    Nicky Byrne is a bell-end.

fyp

Hang them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

Nicky is a cuunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I agree. When I saw it I was so enraged I put my foot through the television and sent Nicky Byrne the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Quackles wrote: »
    Ah, but I'd make an effort to stand if I was being introduced to anyone who was already standing. Good manners is good manners, whether it's towards the president of Ireland or Mary from down the road.

Well said. There's always room for manners.

Don't tell me you are in a boyband too Windsock?

Go on, admit it - you were one half of The Carter Twins weren't you?!

I am utterly amazed about the amount of feelings people have towards Nicky Byrne.

I hope you're just 'forum worked up' about it and not actually worked up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anybody spot Westlife 'Star' Nicky Byrne's major faux pas at the Paddy's Day Parade yesterday?

Nicky was sitting in the front row of the VIP grandstand outside the GPO on O'Connell Street and as the Presidential motorcade approached, everyone was asked by the MC to 'show respect and be upstanding for the guest of honour'. All 300 or so guests did stand up - EXCEPT Nicky Bleedin Byrne and his wife Georgina who remained seated with their kids on their laps! Even when the President approached him to greet him (shouldn't that really be the other way around?:confused:) he still remained seated and only managed to raise himself a couple of inches off his seat to 'allow' President McAleese to kiss him. To add insult to injury, he didn't even take off his sunglasses as she approached and the President almost knocked them off his face as she kissed him. How rude can one person be?!!

Do these so-called 'celebrities' think they are immune to the protocols of being in the presence our nation's President? Regardless of your opinion of Mary McAleese, do you not think this showed huge disrespect to the Office of the President? Is North County Dublin's answer to Posh 'n Becks completely ignorant or just plain thick? I imagine he didn't deliberately set out to snubb President McAleese, but do they really think they are 'above' having to stand up? Also, as a daughter of the former Taoiseach, you'd think that Georgina would be a little more savvy regarding the correct protocols surrounding these things. I don't accept the possible excuse either that they had the kids on their laps as lots of the people in the grandstand had small kids with them (Ray D'Arcy among them and he managed to stand up!).

If you missed it, the incident happened live on TV and the parade coverage is available on the RTE Player - the Presidential arrival is around 6 mins into it iirc.
    Like, OMG!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

He got outta his seat!! Jesus. Talk about a bloody over-reaction. He had a kid in his lap and got up as much as he could. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Littleroo

He's an arsehole and he loves himself

Littleroo wrote: »
    He's an arsehole and he loves himself
    Ah I didn't realise you knew him personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Well of course.

*goes back to OP and sees what the story is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

orourkeda wrote: »
    Who's Nicky Byrne

Why does somebody always ask this when there is a thread about a 'celebrity' in AH?

If you really don't know, which I'm sure you probably do, then this would be a good place to look :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

But are the Byrne/Aherne part of the Irish Royal family? Way above a mere President? The whole president thing should be scrapped anyway, complete waste of tax payers money tbh that we simply can't afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Antbert wrote: »
    I am utterly amazed about the amount of feelings people have towards Nicky Byrne.

Joe Duffy wrecks my head........I had nowhere else to go......

Be thankful I didn't start on Georgina's badly applied fake tan.....;)
    He got outta his seat!! Jesus. Talk about a bloody over-reaction. He had a kid in his lap and got up as much as he could. Get over it.

Everyone else with kids stood up and held their kids in their arms. He was just to kool 4 skool I guess.....

fullstop wrote: »
    Why does somebody always ask this when there is a thread about a 'celebrity' in AH?

If you really don't know, which I'm sure you probably do, then this would be a good place to look :rolleyes:
    Better yet: http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=nicky+byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'd say plain stupid at a guess.

He still hasn't realised the hoxton fin is so 2001.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Antbert wrote: »

He may have to go into the witness protection programme for his own safety.

rabble rabble

Advertisement