Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi Strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Outrage wrote: »
    You gotta admire their solidarity. Other sectors of the economy would kill for the taxi drivers' ability to come together and protect their interests. (just like everyone else in the economy does - you'd be a fool not to protect your own interests).
    Only one of the representative groups is striking I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Outrage

Nevore wrote: »
    Only one of the representative groups is striking I thought.

You wouldn't see a bunch of carpenters blocking the LUAS: they're men of principle who'd sooner emigrate than stand up for their family's livelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There'll be plenty of immigrant taxi drivers to take me home while these whiging cnuts are on strike. That suits me fine as I really don't need to be listening to the racist rantings of your average Irish taxi driver after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

You wouldn't see a bunch of carpenters blocking the LUAS: they're men of principle who'd sooner emigrate than stand up for their family's livelihood.
    No, I meant it more that they're not all coming together. (lol) Maybe they are.

Why do drivers have to pay to keep a Taxi Regulator in prime location offices on Fitzwilliam Square? Is an office block in Blanchardstown beneath her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

As someone who's dad has just had to sell his house and move in with his daughter beause he couldn't afford his mortgage when working 70 hour weeks, I have enormous sympathy for taxi drivers.

My father is not striking. He is not a racist, nor does he discriminate who he picks up. He is simply a hard working man who is being screwed by a fcuked up system. The regulator introduces new rules about taxis whereby despite the roadworthiness of a machine, if it s too old it's off the road. As a taximan, you haven't a hope of geting a loan for a new motor.

I fully appreciate some taximen are pricks. Most are hard working, decent people.

A lot of people are worse off. I appreciate that. I'd ask some of you to appreciate that a job does not define a persons character. As such, fcuk off with your ignorant generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Rofl, self employed people going on strike! Good game taxi drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

"striking?" is a joke... surely they are hurting only their own pockets.... duh self employed.... "not workey no payeee" I see loads of taxi men in my own line of work, who seem not to be short of a bob or two (I work in a bookies) not sayin every taxi man is a gambler, but in my short experience there seems to be a lot of them who are and spend a whole lot of money that myself and my hubby would not have as expendable income.

Where I come from in the UK, the taxi's are regulated, now some of the rules are a bit crap, like the car has to be no more than three years old, I think five is a bit more fair, all drivers are supposed to be well dressed, if a customer complains to the local council regarding attitude or presentation of the vehicle the driver can be fined and maybe lose his taxi licence, if found in the customers favour. I've been in a few taxi's in my time here and personally i'd be ashamed if it was my own car, how dare they charge me crazy prices for short distances to sit in a vehicle which is barely sittable! (not a real word I know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭__________

im a chef and business has gone shite but you dont see me out pouring buckets of gravy on the road

Yeah same here like I work for a newspaper and you don't see me throwing loads of newspapers all over the place in protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

__________ wrote: »
    Yeah same here like I work for a newspaper and you don't see me throwing loads of newspapers all over the place in protest

I lay Tarmac for a living, you don't see me .. .. no, wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I don't see why they should be any different from any other market. Supply & demand, and all that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The regulator introduces new rules about taxis whereby despite the roadworthiness of a machine, if it s too old it's off the road. As a taximan, you haven't a hope of geting a loan for a new motor.

If its so bad out there, how come there are many newish taxi's with '08 & '09 plates?
    Obviously, some drivers are doing ok to afford these nice big cars.
    OutlawPete wrote:

I work in computers for a living. You don't see me throwing my mouse and keyboard on the street in protest! :D

Personally, I wouldn't be self-employed unless I was earning at least €100k a year. It's not worth it otherwise. You've paperwork, taxation, regulation, insurance, etc. to deal with. A 9-5er on €40 to €50k is more valuable. And yes, there was a time when taxi drivers were earning €100k a year.

gurramok wrote: »
    I work in computers for a living. You don't see me throwing my mouse and keyboard on the street in protest! :D

translation: I'd sooner emigrate with my tail between my legs than protect my own interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

OutlawPete wrote: »

Some some people 'round my way said some pretty nasty things about your type, maybe you can come strike around here ?

(rubs hands in glee), nice one, that will get the potholes sorted

translation: I'd sooner emigrate with my tail between my legs than protect my own interests.

What do i do if my job is under threat due to a downturn in business?

Go on strike blocking O'Connell st?

If its so bad out there, how come there are many newish taxi's with '08 & '09 plates?

You obviously have no clue how hire purchase operates. Say I'm in the business in 2003 and business is booming. I decide to walk down to my local friendly garage owner and enquire about a new Skoda Octavia. He says it's €25k new - I say there's no way I can afford that! Next he brings me into his office and says I can have the car for a mere €400 a month over 5 years. And sure at the end of that 5 years, you can sign another agreement to get a new 07/08 D for €400 a month.

At the end of the 5 years, you still owe a lump sum (€8 to €10k depending on the model) - you have no option but to continue the hire purchase agreement. The guys in the 07/08 Ds are screwed tightly. Often they let on that they're doing well to their friends/families: keeping-up-appearances if you will.

Yes, there are a couple of plonkers who've used their redundancy money/inheritence to get into the taxi business. The guy who drives round in that 06 Bentley (and he's not a Michael O'Leary head) is a total idiot. It's a charitable chauffeur service he's running.

You obviously have no clue how hire purchase operates. Say I'm in the business in 2003 and business is booming. I decide to walk down to my local friendly garage owner and enquire about a new Skoda Octavia. He says it's €25k new - I say there's no way I can afford that! Next he brings me into his office and says I can have the car for a mere €400 a month over 5 years. And sure at the end of that 5 years, you can sign another agreement to get a new 07/08 D for €400 a month.

At the end of the 5 years, you still owe a lump sum (€8 to €10k depending on the model) - you have no option but to continue the hire purchase agreement. The guys in the 07/08 Ds are screwed tightly. Often they let on that they're doing well to their friends/families: keeping-up-appearances if you will.

Thats his problem for entering a HP agreement to pay off a 'continuous' debt on an expensive car, not the publics problem. Plenty of 2nd hand cars per the new regulations available but no, the taxi driver opted for the expensive option.

Still no right to block streets to make everyone else suffer for his bad decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Dublin bus could make a killing by putting in some extra night link services..

I usually only get a nightlink anyway.. Can munch down my burger and listen to my mp3.. Not some know it all spouting on about crap to me!!

Actually i have the ultimate idea.. Im gonna rent a tow truck and wait for one of those stupid Cnuts to block up a street and start hauling the fu*kers cars in!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dublin bus could make a killing by putting in some extra night link services..
    !

Not even Nite Link, just plain night bus services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As someone who's dad has just had to sell his house and move in with his daughter beause he couldn't afford his mortgage when working 70 hour weeks, I have enormous sympathy for taxi drivers.

My father is not striking. He is not a racist, nor does he discriminate who he picks up. He is simply a hard working man who is being screwed by a fcuked up system. The regulator introduces new rules about taxis whereby despite the roadworthiness of a machine, if it s too old it's off the road. As a taximan, you haven't a hope of geting a loan for a new motor.

I fully appreciate some taximen are pricks. Most are hard working, decent people.

A lot of people are worse off. I appreciate that. I'd ask some of you to appreciate that a job does not define a persons character. As such, fcuk off with your ignorant generalisations.

And this is way I've some sympathy for taxi driver's.

Because the Gresham mafia (at a guess I'd say very max 80-100 taxi's) decided the block O'Connell St I'm not stupid or ignorant enough to call the other 20 odd thousand driver's scumbags or anything else.

People don't see the bigger picture, whats happened in the taxi industry is the result of another FF quango fuck up (the taxi regulator). Its leading to huge financial losses and temper's are boiling over.

I don't agree with a lot of their tactics in striking/protesting, and whilst its effecting the Joe Public and gaining little sympathy the strikes/protests are certainly effective in so far as people will eventually look to the Taxi Regulator & FF/Greens to do something to address the issues and get the city moving again.

The strikes/protests are also effective in so far as people are talking about them, they've made people aware that there are serious issues in the industry and show's further flaws in another FF/Green quango which is costing us (Joe Public) a small fortune.

Thats my take on it anyway, I could be wrong..

Now about throwing things down on the road, where's my bleed'n hand grenade :D

They can strike all they want as far as i can see no matter how justified their grievances. Its blocking the streets to the public that gets my ire. For their own sake, they better not repeat yesterdays bully tactics on Mar 18th. The Garda riot squad should use force to move them if they do.

Like the Luas could not even travel to Abbey st. Spare a thought for those workers who were tired after a hard days work trying the get home finding they have to walk the extra bit just to catch a Luas/bus if it comes. Its disgraceful.

They can strike all they want as far as i can see no matter how justified their grievances. Its blocking the streets to the public that gets my ire. For their own sake, they better not repeat yesterdays bully tactics on Mar 18th. The Garda riot squad should use force to move them if they do.

Like the Luas could not even travel to Abbey st. Spare a thought for those workers who were tired after a hard days work trying the get home finding they have to walk the extra bit just to catch a Luas/bus if it comes. Its disgraceful.

Baton charging Irish strikers will never sit comfortably in this country, we're not talking about hippies at Rossport or Celtic jersey republics here.

Baton charge striking Irish men & women on O'Connell St. at your peril!.

Baton charging Irish strikers will never sit comfortably in this country, we're not talking about hippies at Rossport or Celtic jersey republics here.

Baton charge striking Irish men & women on O'Connell St. at your peril!.

When was the last time strikers blockaded streets affecting the public? 1913? :D

The French police had a good idea for the truckers who blockaded their ports a few yrs ago, smashing their vehicles and dragging off the strikers to the cells was good.

Of course if they did not blockade streets, there would be no need for AGS to do a Mayday on them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The guards should have just clamped the taxis when the drivers were getting their pictures taken for the newspapers etc. A nice peaceful solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

All Taxi drives/unions ever go on about is what the want/don't want, not what they can give in return. For starters, some nice things for the taxi drives union to commit to in exchange for a moratorium of issuing licences would be:
    • Set a max age limit on cars
    • Set a standard type of car which can be used as a cab i.e. saloon/hatch of minimum size
    • Set standards as to how vehicles should be kept and ensure members (i.e. drives) stick to the standards. This should be monitored.
    • Agree to standards of personal hygiene
    • Uniform shirts/polo shirts for drives to agree to uphold these new standards
    • All drives, new and existing, should pass a 'knowledge' style test. i am sick of paying a fortune AND having to provide directions
    • Proficiency in the English language
    • Above all, Pride in their profession

There are more but until drivers being to have pride in what they do, have a certain amount of self and peer regulation, and provide a good service they will never get public backing

All Taxi drives/unions ever go on about is what the want/don't want, not what they can give in return. For starters, some nice things for the taxi drives union to commit to in exchange for a moratorium of issuing licences would be:
    • Set a max age limit on cars
    • Set a standard type of car which can be used as a cab i.e. saloon/hatch of minimum size
    • Set standards as to how vehicles should be kept and ensure members (i.e. drives) stick to the standards. This should be monitored.
    • Agree to standards of personal hygiene
    • Uniform shirts/polo shirts for drives to agree to uphold these new standards
    • All drives, new and existing, should pass a 'knowledge' style test. i am sick of paying a fortune AND having to provide directions
    • Proficiency in the English language
    • Above all, Pride in their profession

There are more but until drivers being to have pride in what they do, have a certain amount of self and peer regulation, and provide a good service they will never get public backing

A lot of this is answered in the Taxi Regulators site;
    Can you explain in simple terms, the 9 year age limit for NEW taxi and hackney licences from 1st January 2009?
    For new taxi and hackney licence applications there are some additional licensing conditions that relate to the fitness for purpose of the vehicle that will be checked as part of the new licence application administration process. These are:

1. Vehicle Age: less than 9 years of age at application
    2. Basic Vehicle Size: 420 litres luggage capacity capable of accommodating a folded wheelchair and capable of seating 4 adults in comfort.
    The SPSV Skills Development Programme
    The Commission recognises the key role that SPSVs play in the delivery of a first-class, professional public transport service. The Official Manual for Operating in the SPSV Industry and accompanying DVD have been produced by the Commission for Taxi Regulation to help you develop the skills needed to operate successfully in the industry. It will be of benefit to both new entrants and those already in the industry. In this manual and DVD, new applicants and existing SPSV operators will find up-to-date information on the standards and regulations that apply in the SPSV industry and useful guidelines for the development and maintenance of a professional service to the travelling public.

If you already possess an SPSV driver licence, you will be required to take the test when you renew your licence over the next few years. SPSV operators undoubtedly do a difficult and demanding job in which they are constantly challenged and tested. The Commission believes that the knowledge acquired through the Skills Development Programme will support them in dealing with some of these challenges, and make their job somewhat easier and more enjoyable.

Suitable car's.
    Does my vehicle have to undergo an annual suitability style inspection?
    Yes. Since January 4th 2010 a Licence Renewal Assessment (LRA) must be carried out as part of the renewal process. This is a predominantly visual condition check along with inspection of key suitability items, e.g. presence of ramps in wheelchair accessible taxis and the mandatory safety equipment in all vehicles etc. This is being carried out on an advisory basis initially but passing this assessment on renewal will become a condition of licensing from April
    6th 2010.

I can't believe with the amount of taxi threads in AH over the years that people are still ignorant of where to look for this information, and can only make the presumption that people are simply mouthing off and not reading the links provided.

I'm not sure if there's a dress code for drivers, its not something which would bother me in the slightest to be honest.

I'd rather a driver, Irish or foreign to have a checkable criminal background for instance.

Thats his problem for entering a HP agreement to pay off a 'continuous' debt on an expensive car, not the publics problem. Plenty of 2nd hand cars per the new regulations available but no, the taxi driver opted for the expensive option.

Of course the banks had nothing to do with it: firing money off to people in the middle of a boom with no checks and incahoots with the big auto manufacturers. Not only do drivers have to pay for their car, but they have to give their pound of flesh too in the form of exhorbitant interest rates and feudal hire purchase agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Nevore wrote: »
    Agreed, the Gardai need to get the thumb out. If this were a march, fine, it takes x amount of time to pass down OConnell St.
    The blocking of the main thoroughfare is nothing less than blackmail.

Their strike is irony at its best, they are protesting as they can't make a living yet they have been protesting this week and plan to go all out next week....hmmm hows that going to help the wages lads :rolleyes:

One thing I did notice the other day was whilst all the old school taxi drivers were sitting around scratching their swiss, all the non-national taxi lads were cleaning up as far as I could see!

• Advertisement

Of course the banks had nothing to do with it: firing money off to people in the middle of a boom with no checks and incahoots with the big auto manufacturers. Not only do drivers have to pay for their car, but they have to give their pound of flesh too in the form of exhorbitant interest rates and feudal hire purchase agreements.

They signed their name on the dotted line to take out expensive credit, not one banker put a gun to their heads to force them to take out that credit.

Advertisement