Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best show of the decade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Come off it, it's hardly rocket science. Clearly it's not as simplistic as 99% of modern tv but that's why it appealed to so many people.

No and I would have thought that Damages with all of its flashbacks would be far more confusing. I think it was possible due to the themes and the characters and also that she was very sick at the time. Most TV is light in comparison to The Wire. Damages is fluff in comparison to the Wire IMO. Still a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Another Wire fan here I'm afraid.

I'll be slightly more specific though and say that in my opinion Season 4 of The Wire is probably as close to perfect television as I've seen.

The Sopranos was great too though, Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm probably my favourite US comedies; Peep Show, The Office, Extras my UK ones.

Plenty of other shows too, wasn't a bad decade for tv, particularly US shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

MikeC101 wrote: »
    It's the "lock this thread/nothing comes close/no one could possibly consider anything to be better/silly thread" stuff that I take issue with. I don't see it half as much with other shows, which may just be a reflection on how popular the Wire is.

My lock thread was done in jest, but still the Wire is an extremely strong candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

For drama it has to be Six Feet Under closely followed by the Wire.

For comedy: Arrested Development, Flight of the Conchords and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Lost -
    The characters. The continuous serialization. The vast sprawling and complex mythology. It is really a cult show at heart and deserves its place alongside Twin Peaks and The Prisoner. But neither of those shows managed to last six seasons. After the enormous success of the first season the producers could have played it safe, but they didn't. With each season the show just got more complex, more crazy, more difficult to get into. This alienated many viewers while making others love it more. The show could infuriate you like no other, but it also demanded more of you than other shows. One could easily spend more time talking about it than watching it, only for the next episode to totally twist and defy your expectations. A lot depends on how it ends. But however it does, it has been a helluva a ride.

Honorable mentions:

Farscape
    The Wire
    The Sopranos
    BSG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought the West Wing was good, but it had some serious flaws that really irritated me. The high speed dialogue, like that stupid Gilmore Girls, really used to get to me. A good program but not the best. This parody pretty much covers the irritating bits of it for me, including the profound (for no apparent reason) Toby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxQk8C_-kE

I loved Band Of Brothers. Like was said before, a different format, but was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

House is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I loved The Wire but yeah people can get a bit precious about it unless you say it was the greatest thing ever created since sliced pan. I imagine Mr Smugbeard from the Meteor ad would be the type to be constantly banging on about it five years after the fact. That said it was brilliant TV. Good while since I last watched it though.

The Sopranos was sheer quality TV.
    Most seasons of 24 were ridiculously entertaining fluff.
    The first season of Prison Break was genius in its own way.
    Lost was great for a while although I just lost patience with it eventually. Same with Heroes.
    Jericho I loved even though nobody watched it.

Band of Brothers, Rome, Deadwood. All fantastic.

Then you have the comedies. Curb, Arrested Development, The Office, Peep Show, Entourage, Eastbound and Down.

Show I probably enjoyed more than any other though was Battlestar Galactica.

Only thing I refuse to watch is medical based dramas. And Sex and the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Im going to rock the boat here and go for , The Wire

But very closely followed by Battlestar Gallactica then Arrested Development, and finally Serenity was awesome too.

The decade the dvd boxset made our lives better :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

CSI Vegas...i wanna say Glee, but it's too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Malcolm in the Middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

cashback wrote: »
    It's about the only thing that's putting me off watching it really. I really hate hype and for some reason it makes me determined to dislike something.
    I remember I didn't watch the Matrix for years for that reason.

It'll probably be a few years before I get around to watching The Wire.

On the plus side, when you do get around to watch it, you'll be able to buy the box set really really cheaply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

I cant pick between prison break and 24!!!Sopranos was way too boring for me and gave up after two seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

I called Firefly, Serenity, Im very angry with myself :confused:
    Shoota wrote: »
    Im going to rock the boat here and go for , The Wire

But very closely followed by Battlestar Gallactica then Arrested Development, and finally Serenity was awesome too.

The decade the dvd boxset made our lives better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

West Wing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

+1 for band of brothers and deadliest catch! that loggers program was good too!

however its csi miami ftw! can't beat those lines from 'H'!

Shoota wrote: »
    I called Firefly, Serenity, Im very angry with myself :confused:

S'ok...easy mistake to make :)

alexlyons wrote: »
    +1 for band of brothers and deadliest catch! that loggers program was good too!

however its csi miami ftw! can't beat those lines from 'H'!

If all else fails....wear shades! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

The................Wire.

Then (if mini-series are allowed)

Generation Kill
    Band Of Brothers (will be interesting to see how The Pacific turns out)

And back to series

Sopranos
    Six Feet Under

2 seasons ago I would have agreed with Lost but it has long gone into brain fart territory, just way too silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

Arrested Development!

Brilliantly written, and hilarious!

Every little insignificant thing in the show is a reference to a joke in a future or past episode. Plots subtlety reference current (at the time of airing) events in the real world.

Words cannot describe how brilliant this show is!! Please watch it from start to finish, and you will be forever in my debt.

Forget The Office, Flight of the Concords, Seinfeld, Curb, Family guy, South Park etc etc etc.....

THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrested Development!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I'm not sure I forever want to be in your department (whatever that means)

Did you not mean debt? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

I'd probably go with The Wire as well, but I don't think it needs my vote at this stage...

So, I'll think I'll opt for South Park. Consistently funny, challenging and thought-provoking, it's yet to jump the shark in my book.

Many other 'greatest TV of the noughties' polls have left it off their list claiming it's a technically 90s show (it started in 97) but for me it only really hit its stride after the year 2000. Also South Park's continued relevance has really been in stark contrast to the Simpsons tragic decline.

Considering Parker and Stone are still the primary creators/writers/performers after all these years, its astounding how high the standard has remained. Those guys have never betrayed their principles and they are true champions of free speech.

Other honorable mentions:

Peep Show
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Battlestar Galactica
    Firefly
    The Daily Show

• Registered Users Posts: 21,866 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

For me its Band of Brothers and 24.

God damn Sky Movies have bought the UK rights to The Pacfic ggrrrrr hopefully Network 2 gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭L.T.D

Dream Team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Emmerdale Farm. No wait

Shortland Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Curb Your Enthusiasm takes it for me.

I've watched most of the Wire and i liked it and all but, i don't know, maybe i just prefer comedy. And i have to say it is fairly over rated.

I wouldn't be able to leave this thread without giving It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a mention. It actually probably was my favorite show but i kinda know Curb is better. Anyone who's into the likes of Seinfeld and Curb should defo check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

iguy wrote: »
    Desperate housewives, Greys anatomy, Diary of a... ,The Tudors, The clinic, Undercover Ireland, Ryan confidental.
    I could name a whole load more,but I wont.
    Thank you. One more and I was going to pull the trigger...
    MikeC101 wrote: »
    Well if the thread was titled "Shows that inspired the most fanboyism of the last decade", the Wire would have it hands down.

What is it with Wire fans and the dismissive "my opinion = fact" attitude?
    The Wire only really became universally popular mid way through 2008. Before than it was a hidden gem with a dedicated following in the US and a small following here who watched it on TG4 late at night. It's an outstanding tv series whatever way you look at it. If there was a category of tv akin to classic literature then The Wire is it. The reason it has obtained such a dedicated following is because of its sheer brilliance.
    I thought the West Wing was good, but it had some serious flaws that really irritated me. The high speed dialogue, like that stupid Gilmore Girls, really used to get to me. A good program but not the best. This parody pretty much covers the irritating bits of it for me, including the profound (for no apparent reason) Toby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxQk8C_-kE

I loved Band Of Brothers. Like was said before, a different format, but was great.
    I thought the high speed dialogue was a great addition to the show and really showed off the writer's talents. To even compare it to the Gilmore Girls is a sin! In TWW, the acting is better, the characters are saying something meaningful and that fits in with the storyline/or something that is just plain laugh out loud funny. None of this is present in the GG's.

Toby is a genius. He's the most intellectually intelligent character in the show but is a bit socially reatarded....

Oh, th best show of the decade is, as much as I adore the Sopranos, The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The wire or The Sopranos - just to hard to choose either :)

Band of Brothers for mini series.

Firefly and Reaper for series cut short unfairly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

K4t wrote: »
    I thought the high speed dialogue was a great addition to the show and really showed off the writer's talents. To even compare it to the Gilmore Girls is a sin! In TWW, the acting is better, the characters are saying something meaningful and that fits in with the storyline/or something that is just plain laugh out loud funny. None of this is present in the GG's.

I suggested this in an essay for college. Lecturer ****ing loved the show. One of the reason I did badly in that essay. But the High Speed Dialogue is very like the Gilmore Girls, but they possibly have something to say unlike the Gilmore Girl who can talk at high speed about absolutely nothing. Perhaps writing about absolutely nothing shows the strenght of the Gilmore Girls writters :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

+ 100 the sopranos

don't think theres been a more complex tv character than tony soprano since Miley Byrne

comedy: curb

Advertisement