Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water Distiller - worth it?

• 26-10-2015 10:23am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the OH are talking about getting a water distiller for the house for drinking water and water for cooking. Would there be a benefit for us to do this?
    Would it really be necessary to distill tap water in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unless there's a particular problem with the water in your area, why bother?
    I have an under sink filter which we use for drinking water as we find it tastes a little better to us but I cook with tap water and have no problem drinking it.

All Irish municipal water has fluoride added. If this is an issue for you then maybe you should look at something that will remove this.

But generally, Irish water is safe to drink.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There's no real issue with the water, we generally drink bottled water and cook with tap water. We are just looking at how we can improve what we are ingesting and the subject of water came up. That then moved on to how we can get pure water and research led to a distiller.
    So now at the point of weighing up the pro's and cons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use a Brita filter just for drinking water and it definitely improves the taste of the water where I live (north County Dublin). I'm not sure a distiller is necessary for water here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We've had a water filter for over 10 years now and I personally find it makes a big difference to our drinking water.
    The company we are with is Gulp we pay a small monthly fee which covers maintenance etc. I find I don't need to buy bottled water anymore or Britain filters.
    We are in a hard water area so it removes limescale as well as any potential nasties. Up to this year we were using a well, so the water wasn't being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

I would say go with filtered, apart from the fact that it is cheaper than distilling there are also many studies that say drinking only distilled water is actually bad for your health due to the lack of trace minerals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thanks guys, I'm leaning more towards getting a Britta filter whereas herself has reservations about them.

But that Gulp thing looks real interesting. Is that one of the things that gets installed at the U-Bend of the pipe with the 3 filter system?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Raggaroo wrote: »
    also many studies that say drinking only distilled water is actually bad for your health due to the lack of trace minerals.
    It also "tastes" horrible, as its devoid of taste & salts. I think some people add salts back. I put taste in quotes as there is none, but the sensation of drinking is is not nice.

It would be expensive enough as you are not only bringing water to the boil but continuing the boil and vapourising it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I'm leaning more towards getting a Britta filter whereas herself has reservations about them.

But that Gulp thing looks real interesting. Is that one of the things that gets installed at the U-Bend of the pipe with the 3 filter system?

Ours is like a small tank that sits under the sink, it's a reverse osmosis system. We needed it to filter out impurities at the outset, but I wouldn't be without it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Totally unnecessary

Just an update on this, got a Water Distiller on Monday.
    To be honest, I dont notice the difference in the taste to bottled water all that much.
    Made a stew with the distilled water and I have to admit, it tasted real good. That might just be my brain in overdrive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Boom_bap - which distiller did you get and a year later are you still using it and would you recommend it?

Weyhey wrote: »
    Boom_bap - which distiller did you get and a year later are you still using it and would you recommend it?

Yup, we went ahead and got one, this one:

41fpbA5hPOL.jpg?5cd0bb&5cd0bb

It has it's pros and cons but we use it every second day. That's my main issue with it, it has to be used so much. For example, if you are using 2 pots of water when cooking, that's nearly an entire fill (4 hours) gone. And there is an increase in the electricty bills, and extra 10 euro or so each bill.

But, that 10 euro is far less than what we used to use buying bottled water, less plastic in the house and not having to cart it home from the shops.

There is a taste difference, but I got used to it after a day or so. If you use the water for cooking, there is also a slight difference in taste. Sometimes I use tap water now just for a bit more of the taste I am used to.

Tea and Coffee - you wont notice a difference.

It also needs a bit of maintenance on the cleaning side of things, but it's quick and handy to do. It takes up space that I could use for a coffee machine :)

So, it's not an essential thing, but I enjoy having the more pure water available.

oh - it also warms up whatever room it's in as well :) Handy in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thanks Boom Bap I really appreciate it.

Weyhey wrote: »
    Thanks Boom Bap I really appreciate it.

No worries, let me know if you have any more questions about it.

FYI - It's the easiest thing in the world to use! Fill and press 1 button.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 CulptPrit

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    No worries, let me know if you have any more questions about it.

FYI - It's the easiest thing in the world to use! Fill and press 1 button.
    Just so as you know, you're supposed to add your own minerals (very small amount) to distilled water. You can buy celtic sea salt for example. If not, and if you were to cook rice (for e.g) with pure distilled water, you should really drink the water afterwards. Look into it.

I wouldn't be putting distilled water into plastic because, since it highly (-ve) charged, it will leach the plastic polymers out of the container at a far higher rate than regular water

Politics Forum ———>

Unless there's a particular problem with the water in your area, why bother?
    Oh, ignorance is bliss!

CulptPrit wrote: »
    Oh, ignorance is bliss!

hahaha, the utter cringeworthy irony of that. Leave your house, if you dare...

rubadub wrote: »
    hahaha, the utter cringeworthy irony of that.
    I think it might be better for you to imply that I'm paranoid, rather than ignorant.
    Leave your house, if you dare...
    I mustn't fit your stereotype. Not a bad guess though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

Leave your house, if you dare...
    I be sure to step outside at least once everyday, because radon gas levels are higher indoors!

40,000 volts! Well at least you are not squandering your money on the 39,000 volt nonsense like some morons out there...

Jesus wept, -tears high in boron...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Gravedigging a thread just for two people to snipe at each other - nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement