Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We went to Lidl last night and we bought 2kg of bratwurst in their XXL special offer range :o I luff bratwurst but I think we might have shopped a bit hysterically there...

Also got their delicious pumpkin seed loaf and a tub of chickpea cream cheese in their '1001 Delights' range which is very, very nice

I wish they'd bring back their cornichons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hold tight, Miss F, they are now in stock in the Cavan Lidl. Bought a jar yesterday. :D

You have made my actual week, Nekarsulm :D:D PICKLES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I'm a recent convert to the Lidl bakery bread - they do a lovely round white crusty loaf - the only problem is I eat too much of it!! Also bought their brown soda recently and it was lovely. I don't normally buy brown, but I had visitors and didn't have time to bake.

+1 on the round white cob. It is DELISH.
    Their fillet and rib eye steaks are great
    Pate's pretty decent too
    Organic Salmon is lovely
    Free range eggs are great (the 10/12 pack)
    Great for dark chocolate
    Great deals on soaps and clothes conditioner
    Their blue box of washing powder is great too and credited by which in the UK if I recall correctly.
    The premium dry food for cats gives my little one a gleaming coat
    The reduced fat bacon medallions
    Most of their veg is absolutely great

I think Lidl is excellent. I go to the one in Greystones and the staff are generally friendly and helpful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

they have Brat again?

• Advertisement

they have Brat again?

They do, but not back permanently (I don't think)

http://www.lidl.ie/en/6909.htm?action=showDetail&id=42363

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone try the baklava? Ill probably get it if its still in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

The baklava (the one that has baklava and kataifi in it) is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Their Vintage Cheddar is lovely.

Got a Foccahi (Sp.) and goats cheese in the bakery section yesterday, had it with the Tomato and Basil soup for lunch, delish.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For those with a sweet tooth, their American style jelly beans are excellent. Almost Jelly Belly like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I bought a White Chocolate & Strawberry cake there yesterday - a small round one in a square box - as I needed a smallish birthday cake. Everyone that had it said how lovely it was....so it comes highly recommended.

They also had chocolate, coffee and carrot cakes in the same range - I want to go back and try them now....I just need an excuse or else I will finish up eating it all myself!!

morgana wrote: »
    The baklava (the one that has baklava and kataifi in it) is delicious

Bought it after. Unbelievably sweet!

I like it, hopefully they'll have it again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Their dry roasted peanuts are fantastic. €1.49 for a 400g bag is great value when even compared to the Tesco brand dry roasted nuts.
    I much prefer them to Manhattan or KP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not recommended - their new low pull along trollies! :p An ergonomic disaster esp for the elderly/infirm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The bigger size seems to be to encourage you to put in more. They should have left the old ones also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Not recommended - their new low pull along trollies! :p An ergonomic disaster esp for the elderly/infirm

I hate them! I use my own basket

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They appeared in my local and they removed the regular baskets. Seemed daft as all bar one checkout is a basket check out.
    Returned a couple of days later and all had returned to normal without a trolley basket in sight.

The Quinoa and Coconut Oil on offer atm is a bit cheaper than anywhere else. Pretty standard quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the Patatas Bravas? its in the specials this week? I think its a packet in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mel123

What wreaks my head about Lidl is the way they just stop doing lines. Just regular stuff. For example these yoghurts i used to get, you know like the muller ones the little chocolate balls and then you pour them in to the main yoghurt. Gone. I was addicted to their potatoe skins, they were fab, one day they just disappeared also :-(

Just having a rant :-)

• Advertisement

Anyone have the chicken burgers before?

They're on offer for €2
    chickenwk32_01_f.jpg

Edit, just saw the enlarged image after posting, I think Ill pass...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That family bucket of Stracciatella yoghurt is rather nice. As is the peach/strawberry version.
    And it is literally in a bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

mel123 wrote: »
    What wreaks my head about Lidl is the way they just stop doing lines. Just regular stuff. For example these yoghurts i used to get, you know like the muller ones the little chocolate balls and then you pour them in to the main yoghurt. Gone. I was addicted to their potatoe skins, they were fab, one day they just disappeared also :-(

Just having a rant :-)

Its really really irritating - I used to get their chow mein noodles all the time; they were really tasty and held up well when being fried after being cooked, but they vanished and were replaced with an inferior version from their vitasia range. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And it's years since their little Belgian and Toffee chocolate puddings went.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Plus they should be stocking those Monterey Jack slices all the time, and not just at the american week specials

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I miss the Deluxe lime and yoghurt bites sooo much :mad:

I'd have bought my local store out of them if I'd known they were going to destock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I used to get alcohol free mouthwash in Aldi but they stopped making it.
    Alas, Lidl have 2 types of 'advanced' mouthwash in stock now - one for 'gum protection' and another for 'halitosis'.... and both are alcohol free.

Both in a cardboard box and around 1.70 I think.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I used to get alcohol free mouthwash in Aldi but they stopped making it.
    Alas, Lidl have 2 types of 'advanced' mouthwash in stock now - one for 'gum protection' and another for 'halitosis'.... and both are alcohol free.

Both in a cardboard box and around 1.70 I think.

Might try them. I know the Dentalux/blue one is foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone try the Patatas Bravas? its in the specials this week? I think its a packet in the freezer.

Yeah, lovely. Small cubes, 1cm or so. Had them this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

tampopo wrote: »
    Yeah, lovely. Small cubes, 1cm or so. Had them this evening.

Ya I bought the packet, will try them soon, thanks. :)

Advertisement