Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Guys Coming To Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Never heard of them until this thread.

Portions look HUGE! Personally I'm not a big fan of oversized portions as I hate leaving food so I just end up pigging out until I feel sick.

On the plus side (no pun intended), all their food seems to be made fresh, and the chips look great.

10649817_10152713707959441_4855672328317047895_n-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

I thought this thread would be about 5 male tourists looking for dining advice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭fjon

Eaten there in various places in the US and am a fan.
    I wonder will they serve the same size portions? The portions of chips are absolutely enormous, and there is no way a normal person could get through a burger and regular fries.

The US stores all have complimentary peanuts which you can snack on while waiting for an order (it takes a LONG time to get your burger). Curious to see whether the Irish stores will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Been to the the one in Birmingham (UK) and the portions are big (and the peanuts are there too)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes, the Desmond sons have the franchise I do believe, look forward to eating there.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Never heard of them until this thread.

Portions look HUGE! Personally I'm not a big fan of oversized portions as I hate leaving food so I just end up pigging out until I feel sick.

On the plus side (no pun intended), all their food seems to be made fresh, and the chips look great.

10649817_10152713707959441_4855672328317047895_n-500x500.jpg

That's a fair sized portion alright :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My sister is a big fan of their veggie "burger" substitute - fried mushrooms and onions, cheese, salad. Mainly went there as it was the only place nearby that had vinegar for the chips though (was in the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I *nearly* always eat in a Five Guys whenever I'm in the US. I'm a big fan - lovely juicy burgers, lashings of classic toppings and no problems at all with providing a lettuce wrap. Their fries are lovely. Portions are large-ish but not crazy big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

This a franchise being bought by a rich family?Sounds boring to me but prob be lapped up

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've never heard of them before and I can't say I'm overly thrilled - another burger chain?

It would be nice to get a bit of variety in the fast food market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Shenshen wrote: »

WHHHHHYYYYYYYY couldn't they have bought a Chipotle franchise??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Dial Hard wrote: »
    WHHHHHYYYYYYYY couldn't they have bought a Chipotle franchise??????

I literally would be done with life if Chipotle came here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shenshen wrote: »
    There was talk of taco bell coming here, not sure what happened.

I see they are in the uk
    http://www.tacobelluk.co.uk/

Good to see freshly cut chips in this place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taco Bell have never got on well in the UK - few attempts now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Have heard good things about them before now, will definitely be trying once anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bacon Cheeseburger all the way with fries. Approx 2000 calories of goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I literally would be done with life if Chipotle came here.

Nom, Chipoltle is the business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I say this while posting from bed with an upset tummy that cannot handle food right now - Five Guys is incredible.

I live in the US now and there's one about a five minute drive from my home and it is so good. Their fries are unbelievable, mmm. I share a regular portion with my husband and step son, the portions are crazy!

The burgers are the best. Burger King, McDonald's etc. are not comparable. So good!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I eat there sometimes when I'm in the US for business.
    Just another burger chain, nothing special imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I can not convey how excited I am to hear this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I live in Wimbledon , went into the new branch just opened last month on Saturday and got a takeaway.
    Bacon Cheesburger and small chips by 2, nothing else no drinks. Total bill £27.00 (37.4152 EUR)

Was not worth the money, it was nice but that sort of money for a takeaway in Wimbledon will not work, I have seen the business they do in Soho/Covent Garden but thats all tourists happy to pay big money.
    Everyone should try it once but I dont think Ireland wants that sort of price point for burger and chips.

jennyjoy wrote: »
    I can not convey how excited I am to hear this

Is that you Padraig Harrington :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Winty wrote: »
    I live in Wimbledon , went into the new branch just opened last month on Saturday and got a takeaway.
    Bacon Cheesburger and small chips by 2, nothing else no drinks. Total bill £27.00 (37.4152 EUR)

Was not worth the money, it was nice but that sort of money for a takeaway in Wimbledon will not work, I have seen the business they do in Soho/Covent Garden but thats all tourists happy to pay big money.
    Everyone should try it once but I dont think Ireland wants that sort of price point for burger and chips.

That's outrageous compared to the prices in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Novella wrote: »

The burgers are the best. Burger King, McDonald's etc. are not comparable. So good!

Hardly what they would see as their competitors.
    Winty wrote: »

I'd much prefer a Byron burger any day of the week. Simpler, more comfortable, comparable in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    That's outrageous compared to the prices in the U.S.
    I paid about the same here in Guildford, nice burger and all that, but not worth £15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I think that 5 Guys coming to Ireland just reflects a change in the type of experience people are looking for.

In the States you have a surge in the casual fast dining chains such as Shake Shack, In & Out Burger, Twisted Root..etc..etc. It only stands to reason that the trend crosses the pond. Personally Im looking forward to the opeing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I had 5 guys while I was doing bit of work in UW Madison a while back and I remember paying about $15 for 2 burgers, 1 fries (fries were massive portions, no need for 2 bags) and 2 cokes for me and the lady friend.

The price difference between the US and the UK is insane and definitely not worth it.

If it's those kind of prices in Ireland I'll be avoiding and Bunsen will continue to get my business, cheaper and better burgers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭squonk

Crazy money alright. Afterall, it's just some minceand flavourings. 15 quid in the UK translates to closer to 20 euro here. That's heading into steak territory. Not worth it at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Marcusm wrote: »
    Hardly what they would see as their competitors.

Would you be more agreeable if I said that their burgers are better than In N Out? Or Smash Burger? I'd say that their competitors are any fast food restaurants selling similar food at a similar price. You can get a burger and fries at McDonalds and you can get a burger and fries at Five Guys, both for under $10 here in the US.

Advertisement