Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Number 4 Dublin Bus Question

• 29-01-2007 7:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Why don't Dublin Bus extend this route up to Belfield seeing as all the number 4 buses have to drive all the way up Nutley Lane and down to the UCD flyover to turn around and come back down Nutley Lane, passing 3 stops in the process. It's just irritating to see buses I could be getting "out of service" while the turn around, unless you walk 20 minutes down to Vincents to where it officially starts. It just seems to make no sense. If you get the bus as far as the hospital, drivers won't let you stay on either even though they're driving up there.
    Maybe they just don't want to write 'Belfield' as a terminus on the bus cause it would give the impression it took the N11 route?
    If the drivers need a break why don't they terminate in UCD where the 10 ends and then begin the route there instead of parking on the slip road.

I know it's trivial but it's something annoying me lately! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Linku,

It is the Dept Transport who determine Bus Routes, os if ever you wanted to query why any bus serves a certain area or road, they are the ones to talk to, DB merely run the service where the route licence covers.

As it happens, Route 4 will be extended to Blackrock in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Linku wrote:
    Why don't Dublin Bus extend this route up to Belfield seeing as all the number 4 buses have to drive all the way up Nutley Lane and down to the UCD flyover to turn around and come back down Nutley Lane, passing 3 stops in the process. It's just irritating to see buses I could be getting "out of service" while the turn around, unless you walk 20 minutes down to Vincents to where it officially starts. It just seems to make no sense. If you get the bus as far as the hospital, drivers won't let you stay on either even though they're driving up there.
    Maybe they just don't want to write 'Belfield' as a terminus on the bus cause it would give the impression it took the N11 route?
    If the drivers need a break why don't they terminate in UCD where the 10 ends and then begin the route there instead of parking on the slip road.

I know it's trivial but it's something annoying me lately! :p

The 4 operates to St.Vincent's Hospital and when in introduced in March 2006 it was intended that the route would operate through St.Vincents Hospital. The road was not finished when the route commenced and so the buses operate to the Belfield flyover. When the road was finished someone in the hospital decided that they didnt want a bus route operating through the hospital grounds, and so they operate to the flyover.

The reason they dont stay in service untill Belfield is because the license only operates to St.Vincents.

Route 4 is to be extended to Blackrock and possibly into Santry Woods. It would also get a significant frequency increase when this happens during the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

It may extend further, they want to chop the 45's to the bare min.
    Where they turn the 4's at, Cabinteely Blackrock or Stradbrook is still to be decided.

Cabinteely sounds abit extreme Sickie, I'd say stradbrook would be best is there much space around there for a bus to terminate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Bring back the 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Xylophonic wrote:
    Cabinteely sounds abit extreme Sickie, I'd say stradbrook would be best is there much space around there for a bus to terminate?

It can turn at the roundabout at the top of Monkstown Farm, same place as the 6 used to turn.

Hamndegger wrote:
    It can turn at the roundabout at the top of Monkstown Farm, same place as the 6 used to turn.

I was thinking it could turn there but wasnt to sure if there was space for it to set down near there.
    ardmacha wrote:
    Bring back the 9.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Xylophonic wrote:
    It all depends on how badly they chop the 45's (its coming) and the clonkeen rd area needs a service. Dunnes store has sufficent space at the stop.

Thought the 45's were popular though or is this to do with the recent increase in 145 services and/or a possible increase on the 7's?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,235 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ardmacha wrote:
    Bring back the 9.
    Please do explain what route the 9 took. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm glad they didn't run it through Vincents actually, the place isn't that big and buses would ruin the look of the new buildings!

The 4 will be of great use to me if it continues down the Rock Rd.
    Hopefully that might improve the frequency of buses in the mornings, I don't have to get the bus there anymore, but when I did I was often late after waiting 30-40 mins for a bus!

Victor, the 9 operated from Phoenix Park via current route 10 to Nassau Street afaik, from here it went down Clare St, Merrion Sq, Fitzwilliam St Lower, Baggot St and via route 10 to the terminus at Donnybrook Church, it was later extended to terminate at Nutley Lane, and was eventually discontinued.

Advertisement