Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish learning apps

• 20-02-2015 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Duolingo is good if you're a total beginner, but I don't think you are so it might not be that useful. Of course, it's still quite bug-afflicted as well because the Irish lessons are new.

There unfortunately aren't any others that I know of. You know what I do? I carry around a pocket dictionary and if I see something I can't immediately think of the Irish for, I look it up on the spot. That's only possible if, like me, you have no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Duolingo is good if you're a total beginner, but I don't think you are so it might not be that useful. Of course, it's still quite bug-afflicted as well because the Irish lessons are new.

There unfortunately aren't any others that I know of. You know what I do? I carry around a pocket dictionary and if I see something I can't immediately think of the Irish for, I look it up on the spot. That's only possible if, like me, you have no shame.

Probably tongue in cheek but why would you need to feel shame about that? Unless you are an insecure 15 or 16 year old and on the school bus or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Tá OIDE go maith freisin. Bhfuil aon chinn eile ar eolas ag éinne a bheadh oiriúnach do dhaoine óga nó foghlaimeoirí ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

You know what I do? I carry around a pocket dictionary and if I see something I can't immediately think of the Irish for, I look it up on the spot. That's only possible if, like me, you have no shame.

Presumably by pocket dictionary you mean a digital one! :-) Download the superb diodict3 Gaeilge-Béarla dictionary by An Gúm if you've a Samsung. I find it super useful. The 3rd link on the excellent Scríobh website: http://www.scriobh.ie/page.aspx?id=46&l=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I use Get the Focal from the play store

http://www.getthefocal.com/

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No, I genuinely carry around the pocket dictionary I've had since school. :o

It's missing many, many pages.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd cary De Bháldraithe and Ó Dónaill everywhere if I could find trousers big enough for them. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While a 1++ on duolingo, it still is buggy: eg sentences / vocalisations that do not match in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

I have "Céad Briathar" ....gives all the tenses of 100 most common verbs. I also have "Collins irish Dictionary". Both these apps very handy and you can get trial versions at first. For reading material try Tuairisc.ie. It's an online irish paper.

Advertisement