Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Depressing Dunnes?! hmmm i guess maybe the one in Northside but its not that bad tbh.

I miss the old Dunnes on Henry street, remember when it was smaller, upstairs had nightwear and the like, and you could get to the Dunnes supermarket through the back, i miss that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

blah88 wrote: »
    Worked in the Dunnes in the Swan Centre for about a month recently. Was grand except for the manager. Never wanted to punch someone so badly in my life.
    If that's the manager I'm thinking of he'd have blocked your punch, decked you and done a Roy Keane afterwards. For me - Saggart - pointless store and worst customer service imagineable

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The mens section of the old Dunnes in Sligo. It's litarally a warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

I think Tesco is the worst supermarket in Ireland. All their stores are grotty looking, dirty floors and boxes everywhere. I might be biased though, used to work in Tesco and focking hated it. Superquinn ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If the Tescos in The Old Shopping Centre in Dundalk was a Dunnes, that would be it. It's one of only two shops still open in the whole decrepit building. The rest of the place is in a silent eerie gloom.

I sometimes imagine that the staff in there have no idea that the rest of the place has closed and have been busily working away none the wiser since the 90s when I was young and it was a thriving place.

Since it isn't a Dunnes though, it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Joko wrote: »
    I think Tesco is the worst supermarket in Ireland. All their stores are grotty looking, dirty floors and boxes everywhere. I might be biased though, used to work in Tesco and focking hated it. Superquinn ftw.

All of them? There's a big variation between them, some are nice like Naas or Celbridge, then Parnell St. Dublin is awful.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

anyone remember the downstairs in the old dunnes on north earl street? it looked like a nazi bomb shelter

That one was unbelievable. I remember being in there in the mid 90s and the female staff were still wearing the blue checked smocks they used to wear in the early 80s. All the other stores had gone through a number of uniform changes, they'd had the green dress and moved on from that to the blue suit but not in North Earl St. It was like time travel. Really crappy time travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

It's still there. It closed for a year and then reopened. It's still getting killed by Stephen's green though..

upstairs in the ilac creeps me out cause its closed and dark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Another vote for cardiffsbridge road finglas. Absolute hole.
    Agree with west street drogheda too. Its seems the build new stores in shopping centres and the old ones are left to rot. In saying that I hope they never close my ****hole in finglas. Its handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Yes Tesco in the centre has closed since the new development opened.

Thanks for running down our town on a public forum. This place has being hit a hammer blow since the recession not that boom ever benefited it in the first place. Our golden period during the 70s and 80s was killed by a bunch of under qualified morons who destroyed the Antigen Pharmaceutical company, a homegrown multinational that shut its doors in profit due to criminal negligence from three westerners who I won't name.

I didn't mean to run it down but it really is so dreary, and actually it has huge potential so I just don't understand how Roscrea has so little around, especially given that it's in a great location between Limerick and Dublin. I actually always found the people there so friendly so it just confuses me even more that it doesn't have more going for it. Like even if you want to go for lunch or a meal there or a even cup of coffee, the choices of genuinely nice places are really limited. Shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

upstairs in the ilac creeps me out cause its closed and dark

When that centre is closed, let me tell you, the whole place is pure Dawn of the Dead.

Somehow the chapel makes it even creepier. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Dungarvan, Co. Waterford.
    Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

The one I work in!

Snap
    Working there was hell. You were treated like crap and managers would take any opportunity to berate you. Now the junior/trainee managers were fine, it was the ones who ran the departments and overall store who were the issue.

I worked from 2 pm December 23rd to well after 2am December 24th and was supposed to be back in at 8am. The manager who was with us told me that I was entitled to a certain length of time between shifts and not to come in at 8am. Instead I was to start at 12. I got in at 11 thinking that i was doing them a fabor but was instantly sent to the head manager who spent 5minutes screaming at me for not being there at 8.

Thinking back I can't name one girl I worked with who wasn't reduced to tears at least once and I know one of the trainee managers had a break down over the way she was treated. She told me that from the start of the day till the end it was nothing but constant abuse and that no matter how good the job was done fault would be found.

A few friends have worked in Tesco and they really can't say a bad word about the place. The managers treat them with respect and they are allowed to be themselves to a degree.

On my second day in Dunnes, I was given a warning due to my piercings and hair cut. When I was hired I had my mohawk and piercings on display in the interview and not a single word was said about them to me. I wore the Mohawk down in work and on the first day all was good, wasn't till the second day that it was an issue, a manager said I looked like a good for nothing punk. In Tesco my friend has wore his piercings and hair bleached a dozen colours over the years and not once has a manager said anything about it.

So it's not just mine then, nearly 7 years (could have done less for manslaughter). No natural light on the grocery side and very little in drapery. The store manager actually discourages people from coming in, I've had customers call me to see if he was working just so they could avoid him, so imagine what its like for staff. Personnel managers are without fail incompetent, even for their chosen profession. I myself finish every night, well technically morning, worried about the bolliking I'm going to walk into the next day owing the things I didn't get done because we don't have the time and/or people to get the work done.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Used be Ballyvolane in Cork but that has improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah few will know it but Dunnes in Nenagh
    Everyone said it was the smallest Dunnes in Ireland, I don't know if that's true or not

For some bizarre reason the food section was downstairs and the clothes was on the ground floor :confused:

There was no lift or escalater, you'd met people struggling up the steep stairs with a load of shopping
    What fool designed the store that way

Over a decade ago the food section closed and the entire shop shut down a few years later leaving a great dirty vacant premises on the main street of the town

Nenagh is dying and depressing and the busiest shops are circled outside it
    I don't like this planning at all

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

100% the Dunnes in Crumlin Shopping Centre. It's rare for me to walk into a shop and suddenly feel depressed. The several different Dunnes' in Crumlin aren't great for a start, but even all the vacant shops around it. So grim.

The upstairs of the Dunnes in the Ilac creeps me out, always dark with the escalators closed. It looks like the shop is only half alive or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dunnes in Dun Laoghaire is pretty dire. The place is always empty and is in a ghost town. The outside is the exact same as it was as when i was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

One of the 3 here in Dundalk is awful, put some wire fences up at it could pass for a prison.

http://g.co/maps/6w8mq

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

KeithM89 wrote: »
    One of the 3 here in Dundalk is awful, put some wire fences up at it could pass for a prison.

http://g.co/maps/6w8mq

Jesus, it looks like The Maze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

It seriously looks like The Maze or something, yeah.

Even worse inside. Hell hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are there nice Dunnesezzez anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I get nostalgic over the grotty beige and manky green look, with those weird recycled plastic tiles they have.
    It's like the way the Ilac centre used to be with the big green clover.
    But I can see how that would be depressing, I used to like Dunnes when I bought white bread, biscuits, pasta, meat and cheap crisps (good ol St.Bernard to the rescue) but now I don't its tedious shopping there because all the food is more expensive or aimed to suit the pallet of a cake loving mammy, not like the other places are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

efb wrote: »
    Are there nice Dunnesezzez anywhere?

The deliberately snazzy flagships are- Henry street, cornelscourt and liffey valley. Newer doesn't mean better though, dunnes maynooth is only 5 years old and looks far older, same grimness that much older ones have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

The deliberately snazzy flagships are- Henry street, cornelscourt and liffey valley. Newer doesn't mean better though, dunnes maynooth is only 5 years old and looks far older, same grimness that much older ones have.

It's 6! And that's not entirely Dunnes' fault. Whoever designed the centre (and the apartments above it) made some huge cockups. There's forever bits of the ceiling falling down, both in Dunnes and the rest of Manor Mills. :rolleyes:

Although, considering Dunnes is the flagship in the centre, it's entirely possible they had a hand in designing the centre. Hrmmm...

the one in bridgewater in arklow is nice, but i dont shop in dunnes. i wouldnt support that margeret heffernan geebag

When that centre is closed, let me tell you, the whole place is pure Dawn of the Dead.

Somehow the chapel makes it even creepier. :(

ive been in loads of times when its closed, especially before it was done up when i worked in roches. eerie place altogether

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Our Thoroughfares are draped like Hoors in a red light district .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

If you worked in one for a few weeks you wouldn't wonder why the staff aren't happy! They are notorious as an employer for a very good reason. They only care about having stock on the floor and selling it, seriously customer service is not stressed at any point. It's up to the individual. I for one worked in two Dunnes for nearly 4 years and was always able to be pleasant. But I'm well able to see why others aren't doing this. There's no motivation, the only thing that gets you through the day is the people you work with, everything else is fairly soul destroying. Customers treat staff and stock like crap also, which isn't going to raise staff morale. The drapery sections are treated just like Penneys is, except with way less staff to cope with it. All stores are understaffed big time.

Dunnes has a huge amount of staff who have been there 10+ years. Customer service actively declines the longer the staff are there.

Tragic really is, I don't doubt what your saying and would agree that the lack of customer service is primarily driven by poor people management.

Generally across the Retail Sector the norm is understaffed resulting in added responsibility, bigger workload but still can maintain a consistent standards & level of customer service again primarily driven by management though I fully acknowledge that most people are genuinely pleasant like yourself and willing would like to make any one's experience a good one. I understand that you may also get the poor negative experience from customers however most people are more open to a smile or acknowledgement and less likely to take there foul humor out on others. Its the nature of the job you may not always meet pleasant people.

I think this is why I'd avoid them though it may be little I rather spend my money elsewhere for this reason. Dunness in my view based purely on the level of customer service is driven from the top down that it is a company in my view that does recognize the value there employees who contribute daily to the delivery of there bottom line figures. I have tried to google Dunnes looking for information regarding there company mission, values and shockingly can't find anything! Again suggests they take little pride in there employees. I found one article from a couple of years ago and it states they had approx 18000 people working for them! I believe they have Hr Managers taking care of the HR within there stores but to me the primary driver in there role is more like ''policing'' I couldn't find any reference to people engagement, motivation, training or development more like a role for maintaining policy, procedure, compliance measures which of course are important!

You had a lucky escape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Donaghmede is pretty woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

How so Joe wrote: »
    It's 6! And that's not entirely Dunnes' fault. Whoever designed the centre (and the apartments above it) made some huge cockups. There's forever bits of the ceiling falling down, both in Dunnes and the rest of Manor Mills. :rolleyes:

Although, considering Dunnes is the flagship in the centre, it's entirely possible they had a hand in designing the centre. Hrmmm...

It's 7 actually! Opened in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Old one in Portlaoise, by a long way. The new one is actually nice enough though!

Advertisement