Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Campsite out of town.

• 23-05-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Just a question thats been bugging me.Why are so many Irish campsites so far from the nearest village/town.I would like to be able to walk to the pub for a few but most are too far away.
    OK some are close but most are not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Total Camping Ireland

Strandhill campsite in just off the main street with a few great pubs nearby.

you can use the map in Total Camping Ireland to see exactly where each campsite is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I know what you mean. Off the top of my head, Riverside camping in Doolin is right in the middle, at rosses point the hotel is only a 2 min walk. At hungry hill the pub is basically in the park and the shop is a 100m walk up the road. Most site are there since pre-planning permission cheap land I suppose was the incentive for moving way out of town back then, also when most of those places were setup people were broke and wouldn't have had the money to go to the pub there was no such thing as pub restaurants and 8 til late supermarkets so people came prepared to look after themselves. My mom was always talking about how in the 70s you couldn't even buy a bottle of milk in rural ireland as the shops wanted a return. Camping was a different thing back then if you look at camping books from the 70s its all collapsing bucket showers and stuff lol

Now I suppose access and traffic from a planning point of view and scenic considerations probably stop them being setup anywhere convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

Woodlands in Tralee and Mannix Point in Cahirciveen and Tree Grove in Kilkenny, are three that are within easy walking distance of shops and pubs, Enniscrone also.
    Some very isolated alright but there is enough variety to suit all tastes I think.
    Personally, with the motorhome, I tend to go to the sites that give me convenience of a short walk or cycle to shops.

So, I suppose most Irish campsites were established with Caravan and Tent in mind, Motorhome/Camper were rare yokes when many of them were first set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Westport House, Hodson Bay and Battlebridge are handy to pubs. By the end of this thread you will have a list of them all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Redcross in Wicklow also has a pub and restaurant attached

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Yeah also North beach, Rush in Dublin has a pub/village 2 mins away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I agree, It's a shame there isn't more sites closer to shops/pubs. Two more to add to the list are Salthill caravan park and Hidden Valley in Rathdrum. Both within easy reach of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Lough Lannagh Village in Castlebar , Keel Sandybanks in Achill are both within walking distance of shops and pubs.
    The campsite in Cong is also walking distance to the pub , maybe 15 minutes in and 30 to 40 mins back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Thanks guys.
    This thread is the best argument I've seen recently as to why town councils should create in-town Aires like their French counterparts.
    Which by the way would be available all year, not just for the few summer months most camp-site are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

space in any town is a premium price and where would you find space in most towns to build a campsite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Yea it was France I was thinking when I asked this.
    It wouldn't have to be in town just within walking distance(1 mile).
    Ok some are close I admit but some are a crazy distance from anywhere.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    space in any town is a premium price and where would you find space in most towns to build a campsite.

Wasn't talking about campsites, I was referring to dedicated motorhome overnight parking areas within existing off-street parking facilities like the one pictured below

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Wasn't talking about campsites, I was referring to dedicated motorhome overnight parking areas within existing off-street parking facilities like the one pictured below
    its still going to be a big enough size in which space is a premium in most tows in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MABLACK

Bundoran in Donegal now has a campsite and places for motorhome parking in the town close to pubs hotels shops restaurants waterworld and beach also Rosnowlagh campsite has some spaces for campers/caravans which is within easy walking distance of nice pub/ restaurant, Downings campsite is right beside the village just a couple minutes walk, same to the beach.

Its a great idea and would be fantastic for motorhome owners but we have many issues to deal with before it has any chance of becoming reality.
    Councils have a fear and based on real experience that any amenity not protected by a height barrier will be abused. Not just by fulltime travelling people but also by truckers and others seeking to park large vehicles.
    They also have a mindset that any facility such as this has to be paid for by the user in order to generate the revenue for maintenance etc.
    As few council workers work outside of 9-5, the concept of staff supervising such a facility at evening and night time is alien.
    Roscommon in recent times and Kerry in the recent past are examples of Council attitudes. Partly based on the fact that that councillors know Hoteliers and B&B and Guest house owners and their staff and the employment they create in areas where industry is scarce.
    Sadly this place is not France and never will be in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

its still going to be a big enough size in which space is a premium in most tows in Ireland..
    Are you saying that a field at the edge of any town couldn't be tarmacked/laid with hardcore to accommodate a few campers who would bring lots of revenue to the town because the field is premium/costly ?

]
    Ildere wrote: »
    Its a great idea and would be fantastic for motorhome owners but we have many issues to deal with before it has any chance of becoming reality.
    Councils have a fear and based on real experience that any amenity not protected by a height barrier will be abused. Not just by fulltime travelling people but also by truckers and others seeking to park large vehicles.
    They also have a mindset that any facility such as this has to be paid for by the user in order to generate the revenue for maintenance etc.
    As few council workers work outside of 9-5, the concept of staff supervising such a facility at evening and night time is alien.
    Roscommon in recent times and Kerry in the recent past are examples of Council attitudes. Partly based on the fact that that councillors know Hoteliers and B&B and Guest house owners and their staff and the employment they create in areas where industry is scarce.
    Sadly this place is not France and never will be in my opinion.

Can not these concerns be addressed by local bye-laws governing the terms of use for such areas, as is the case elsewhere in Europe
    Such facilities are often paid for by Pay&Display, fee collection by local council person or traffic warder type person but often no fee is required in recognition of the local economic benefit of the facility
    Motorhome tourists are not customers of hotels or B&B's, as a rule we do not leave our motorhomes at home and use such accommodation
    I agree but why can we not import the idea which afterall has been widely adopted elsewhere in Europe

niloc1951 wrote: »
    ]

Can not these concerns be addressed by local bye-laws governing the terms of use for such areas, as is the case elsewhere in Europe
    Such facilities are often paid for by Pay&Display, fee collection by local council person or traffic warder type person but often no fee is required in recognition of the local economic benefit of the facility
    Motorhome tourists are not customers of hotels or B&B's, as a rule we do not leave our motorhomes at home and use such accommodation
    I agree but why can we not import the idea which afterall has been widely adopted elsewhere in Europe
    1 Huge job convincing local government
    2 While local commerce might appreciate the business, local government doesnt see its role as such
    3 Motorhome tourists are seen as 'freeloaders' who want what the area has to offer for free
    4 I would love it if we became French and appreciated the difference between people but we are Irish and we only accept conformity with the 'norm'.

Sorry to be negative but thats the way I see it and I will continue to save my few quid and go to France at every opportunity to enjoy what they offer to motorhome people.

Ildere wrote: »
    1 Huge job convincing local government
    2 While local commerce might appreciate the business, local government doesnt see its role as such
    3 Motorhome tourists are seen as 'freeloaders' who want what the area has to offer for free
    4 I would love it if we became French and appreciated the difference between people but we are Irish and we only accept conformity with the 'norm'.

Sorry to be negative but thats the way I see it and I will continue to save my few quid and go to France at every opportunity to enjoy what they offer to motorhome people.

I agree with what you say except for point three.

We, like everybody else require food and drink to live and fuel to move around, we also require entertainment and hospitality to keep ourselves amused. Why would our 'spend' be any less than those staying in hotels and B&B's apart from the cost of the said accommodation.

True some foreign motorhome tourists may come stocked with their native delicacies, as do we (Barry's tea, rashers, Tayto's, etc. etc.) when we go foreign and what's wrong with that.
    I'm sure even our public representatives who spout about this point will pack some of the above 'Irish' stuff when they take their two weeks package holiday in the sun

Just to be clear on this, I am a motorhome owner and my comments about 'freeloading' are just my take on what people outside of campervanning percieve us to be.
    Especially when it suits their agenda, the local business angle.

• Advertisement

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Are you saying that a field at the edge of any town couldn't be tarmacked/laid with hardcore to accommodate a few campers who would bring lots of revenue to the town because the field is premium/costly ?
    Yes councils are not going spend large amounts of money on things like that. The concept works in france as they are more centralised, with a large portion of there tourists being people from holland and a large amount of there own population go around touring there own country . Only in the last while campers have become increasingly popular here. Most of the tourists that come here usually fly into this country. Any little lay byes that were around have either had a height barrier put on it or has being blocked off because of the traveling community here in Ireland. The council if they did build something like that they won't get any revenue from it that's presuming it would be based on aires that are mostly free in France. It would be nice to see the idea to work but the councils would rather sell that land for a premium and make money off it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've been following this thread with interest and, although I find some of the comments a little puzzling, I have just one question:
    If we had the French style aires over here how many of you would stop going to France and stay at home?.

I've been following this thread with interest and, although I find some of the comments a little puzzling, I have just one question:
    If we had the French style aires over here how many of you would stop going to France and stay at home?.

Dont know which bits you find puzzling but to answer your question, No.
    Weather, Wine, Culture, Variety, Cost, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A no from me too. I don't use the aires in France so it's unlikely i would use them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

So there's two straight away, plus me, who wouldn't need the aires over here.

Where is the incentive for Councils to build going to come from then?.

One of the pieces that I found puzzling was your comment, Ildere, that "Sadly this place is not France and never will be in my opinion".

I think you would find very few people who want this country to be France! If I wanted France I would choose to live there. I love this country as it is. Yes there are things that could be improved but that applies to most countries.

.................. The council if they did build something like that they won't get any revenue from it that's presuming it would be based on aires that are mostly free in France. ............

For the record, while some Aires are free all year many more do carry a charge which can range up to €15 per night in high season in instances where electricity is supplied and the location is a high demand tourist area.
    An Aire can be free in off season, maybe €7 in mid season and €15 in high season.
    The charge can also vary depending on whether services are included or are an extra.

One of the pieces that I found puzzling was your comment, Ildere, that "Sadly this place is not France and never will be in my opinion".

I understand and after re-reading it, I would insert a word there, 'not like France'.

And just to clarify, If I could move to France, I would. And maybe I will some time.

*Kol* wrote: »
    A no from me too. I don't use the aires in France so it's unlikely i would use them here.

I normally use Aires when touring in France, in fact during 21 nights there recently I only booked into a campsite for 3 nights and that was to meet friends, but everyone to his/her own.

There is obviously a good contingent of motorhome users who would use Aire type facilities here as can be seen from the use of places where they congregate like Passage East, Dunmore East, Shannon marinas, etc. etc. and not forgetting Safe Nights Ireland which is another option for those seeking safe overnight parking.

If campsite operators here had the energy and foresight like their counterparts in France they could harvest this sector by creating Aire type facilities in a section of their premises and charge an appropriately reduced price.

Finally, I choose not to use campsites most of the time because I have no need of the services they charge for in their basic price, such services are dictated by the requirements of caravanner's (and motorhome users who require such services) who may have families and the planning authorities who permit such enterprises in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

It's a shame that our councillors while on junkets throughout Europe and beyond over the good times didn't bring back some ideas like Aires.
    A perfect location for an "official" Aire would be Portumna marina, most weekends there appears to be 20-30 motorhomes parked up. Introduce a €10 per night fee and you've a potential for a weeks wages for somebody. There's a perfectly good camp site a few miles down the road but I reckon that people want to be closer to pubs, restaurants, shops etc. With the fall in the numbers of cruisers on the Shannon local communities should be looking at ways of bringing more people into these places.

• Advertisement

stapeler wrote: »
    It's a shame that our councillors while on junkets throughout Europe and beyond over the good times didn't bring back some ideas like Aires.
    A perfect location for an "official" Aire would be Portumna marina, most weekends there appears to be 20-30 motorhomes parked up. Introduce a €10 per night fee and you've a potential for a weeks wages for somebody. There's a perfectly good camp site a few miles down the road but I reckon that people want to be closer to pubs, restaurants, shops etc. With the fall in the numbers of cruisers on the Shannon local communities should be looking at ways of bringing more people into these places.

How right you are.

BTW there is a strong rumour that the local council in a famous south coast town with loads of history, good pubs & restaurants and stuff to do is in the process of painting up ten official motorhome overnight parking spaces in one of their car parks............................................................... more later :D:D

Advertisement