Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fraud

Options
  • 04-08-2010 5:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Simple question,

Why are the Garda asked to be called into cases of fraud. IE, This.

Come on for god sake, if I got up too this carry on, I doubt someone would be asking anyone to step in. It would be automatic. Is there a reason the Garda are so laid back in cases of fraud against the state or in real terms the tax payers ?

Is it not a serious crime?

In fact I see it worst than any drug dealing scummer, these people are elected and trusted to run this island. Yet they can just run riot with our cash as they feel and as I see about nearly anyone in the public domain are saying the same thing. Why ? Why are they getting away with it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I was thinking the same but from a different angle, This evening that insurance fraud ad was on and I wondered should we have an expenses fraud advert for our TD's, Senators and County Councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

If someone paid a visit to their local garda station and filed a complaint against this senator would the gardaí be forced to act?

Doesn't the injured party, in this case the house, have to make a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

foreign wrote: »
    Doesn't the injured party, in this case the house, have to make a complaint?

Just did
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0804/callelyi.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved to LD from ES.

The IP in this case appears to be the State?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Leaving aside the specific case in question, in many cases of fraud the individual at a loss elects to proceed through civil law and more or less can't be bothered/doesn't wish to make a complaint to gardai.

That being so, its more or less not for the gardai (resource strapped as they are), or at least the force cannot in my opinion be criticised, for not actively seeking out fraud cases to prosecute.

If the injured party concerned can't be bothered to assist in/does not want to be part of a criminal case, why should the gardai concern themselves with it ?

In my experience where a victim of dishonesty-type offences does wish to pursue the matter by way of a criminal case gardai are more than willing to investigate.

Gogarty is not the injured party. Whoever is in charge of payments has to make the complaint in writing to the gardai for them to investigate.

Advertisement