Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing Phone Wires

• 15-08-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,
    I have all my phone wires (Cat 5) running to a panel in my home office. Its a new house and I'm getting the phone line installed shortly.
    I need to test the wires to figure out which one is running outside to the Eircom box on the wall, I know I should have marked this in some way earlier but anyway !,

I was thinking of hooking an old car battery to the wire outside and checking the other ends inside with a multimeter. The battery I have is almost flat so shouldn't be putting out the full 12V.

Would this be safe enough to do ?
    Would I just hook the positave and negative to any of the cat 5 wires and check for voltage in the corrisponding coloured wires in each of the lines in the office ?
    Any other suggestions would be appricated.

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No need for a battery. Just strip and twist two wires of one pair on one end together and use the continuity tester or resistance measurement on your multimeter to test which one it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jmgall

Thanks Alun,
    So for example, twist the thick blue/white and thick white/blue (1 pair) together and same on the other ends and test which one has continuinity ??

I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The technician installing it can use a toner to find the pair if needed.

jmgall wrote: »
    Thanks Alun,
    So for example, twist the thick blue/white and thick white/blue (1 pair) together and same on the other ends and test which one has continuinity ??

I'll give that a go.
    Yes, that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

jmgall wrote: »
    Thanks Alun,

I'll give that a go.

No, don't join the pairs at both ends, that serves no purpose. Twist the pair together outside and then test continuity by connecting your meter to each strand of the pair inside.

• Advertisement

No, don't join the pairs at both ends, that serves no purpose. Twist the pair together outside and then test continuity by connecting your meter to each strand of the pair inside.
    Doh, I didn't read his reply properly :D

No, don't do both ends, just the one!

Advertisement