Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Views on Glomex Dome satellite System for camper

Options
  • 18-06-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Folks, Anybody use/got views on the Glomex Discovery Satellite Dome. I had Oyster Dish, bur changed to a Camos dome, but sold that camper. I believe Glomex is the current 'flavour of the month' dome. I am talking about the Glomex (static) 'Discovery'?
    Anybody aware of pros/cons? I intend getting one on my new camper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've fitted quite a few , and they work well . In fact I've to put one on a fellow "boardie's" camper next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Ooh, do tell.......

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Thanks for replies. Do you know of any issues with same Aidan? Would be great to get feedback from that "boardsies" next week to see how happy they are! Anyone else considered this or have one? Still weighing up pros and cons...

I'm up the walls with work at the mo, so they won't be getting the camper back til Saturday . I find they work well , as good as the Camos Dome , and in a nicer , more streamlined and stronger looking cover .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 grandview

I am currently looking at getting a satellite dome fitted and am wondering how the Glomex compares to the Camos Dome in terms of coverage and price. I also see that Camos have a new range of domes out but i dont know if they are in Ireland yet.
    Any comments on the Glomex would be great as i am looking to get some sort of system installed where at least i can watch TV in the south of France...

• Advertisement

Customers I've fitted them to have had no problems in France. The actual dish is as big as the Camos one.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Customers I've fitted them to have had no problems in France. The actual dish is as big as the Camos one.
    Hi all, im the boarsie above that Aidan_m_m installed glomex for, collected Friday evening and got full demo. Great system works really well. Very neat install, delighted with it and looks great. if you want one of these on ur van and a good job done.. then Aidan is your man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

grandview wrote: »
    I am currently looking at getting a satellite dome fitted and am wondering how the Glomex compares to the Camos Dome in terms of coverage and price. I also see that Camos have a new range of domes out but i dont know if they are in Ireland yet.
    Any comments on the Glomex would be great as i am looking to get some sort of system installed where at least i can watch TV in the south of France...

South of France should be OK with a dome, however it is generally accepted that a regular dish will outperform a dome as you go further towards the edge of the footprint.
    Eg. My Maxview crank-up brings in Astra 2D (Irish & UK channels) down to northern Italy, Spain south of Barcelona and Portugal as far a Lisbon.

vinniem wrote: »
    Hi all, im the boarsie above that Aidan_m_m installed glomex for, collected Friday evening and got full demo. Great system works really well. Very neat install, delighted with it and looks great. if you want one of these on ur van and a good job done.. then Aidan is your man!!

aw , shucks , you'll have me blushing! Thanks for the kind words , that camper is a credit to you .

One thing I like about the "dome" types be it KVH , GloMex , Camos etc , is that wild and windy weather doesn't bother them , unlike the "Oyster" style ones with a dish standing upright .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

aw , shucks , you'll have me blushing! Thanks for the kind words , that camper is a credit to you .

One thing I like about the "dome" types be it KVH , GloMex , Camos etc , is that wild and windy weather doesn't bother them , unlike the "Oyster" style ones with a dish standing upright .

I used the lidl camping dish in a howling gale in Salthill on night with no bother. Once you have a strong signal and it's clamped up tight the picture is perfect. For the money the oyster and camos and glomex systems should be perfect whatever the conditions.

• Advertisement

Yes I've used them too , and they work well . It's just that when mounted to a roof , they have no chance of any shelter at all.

Thanks for all the replies lads - I'm going ahead with getting the Glomex Discovery fitted on Saturday - hopefully I'll have as much success as others people here seem to have had. Thanks again - appreciate the replies.

where are you getting it? bonded on or screwed ?

where are you getting it? bonded on or screwed ?

Getting it done with pat horan, hes done work for me before and I've had no issues.

Bonded or screwed.... what's the difference, pros and cons of each. My last one was bonded....... suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

xeroshero wrote: »
    Getting it done with pat horan, hes done work for me before and I've had no issues.

Bonded or screwed.... what's the difference, pros and cons of each. My last one was bonded....... suggestions?

crossed lines here boys

oh , am.. sorry . If you're getting it fitted there , it's actually me that'll be fitting it! I bond them on.

Hi All,

Just wanted to give a quick update. Been away twice with camper since getting the Glomex - very happy with it so far, still figuring out a few bits and bobs but so far I'd definitely recommend to anyone else who may thinking of investing in one...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Hi all you guys with Glomex domes, I have one fitted to my van that's giving problems.

The only station that's not breaking up is sky news. BBC, ITV, CH 4, CH 5

are all very bad sometimes i cant get them at all, All help appreciated.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Any help please.

Hi,
    Sorry, only seeing query now.
    I find the Glomex very good and I have always got a signal to date. It can take 30 seconds or upto 3 minutres to get a signal. Very important to ensure you have a clear line of sight to the satellite- slightly east of south. Even a thin branched tree can result in no signal.
    I had both Camos and Oyster systems previously. I found Oyster very good, but subject to wind problems.
    I found Camos very awkward and rarely got a picture.
    regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement