Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting from scratch-best new alarm system

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 marge2006

Koolkid, can explain what a push notification is please. Do you mean email ?Also with the pinging system /GPRS can you set it to ping every minute and if one ping is missed the notification is then sent to all listed contacts ? Can I ask if a radio transmitted signal would be superior to GPRS and not prone to jamming devices ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Pus notification is sent directly to the app on your phone and give you an alert on your phone like when you get an SMS etc.
    You can also get some systems to email you.
    Pining at every 3 minutes is as standard on the systems we use.I don't think you are going to find any station that is going to spend their time responding to 1 missed poll.
    Anything can be jammed. With regular polling you will know about it quicker.

Thanks Koolkid. So there is nothing superior to radio signalling over GPRS then ? I had found a company online who use radio signalling and say it is less susceptible to jamming but perhaps what you are saying is correct. How many missed pings issues an alert normally ? Surely not more than one as the burglars could be well gone with whatever they want to take after 5 or 10 minutes ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Normally 5 missed polls. After one or 2 is not workable. I have seen radios disconnected all night and neither the installer or customer got a call.
    Duel com would also be using a phone line as well, so one path is backing up another.

Are you serious ? That means 15 minutes ? Why so long ? Surely the point of it going off means a rapid response ? So say the alarm goes off at 8 pm and im at work when do i get the text alert ? Why you say that the radio can be disconnected and this is not picked up, surely this is the point of paying a monthly fee ? When you say use phoneline do you mean GPRS as a dual system ?

• Advertisement

15 minutes for a line fault not for an alarm activation..
    Do you honestly think it would be possible to man a central station monitoring tens of thousands of alarm systems and respond to every missed poll?
    What action would you like them to take?
    Would you as a key holder wan't to be called for every missed poll?Day or Night?
    Can you maybe outline what monitoring you expect & what actions you would expect for different events?

Advertisement