Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Coupon Chat Only]

• 24-01-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

and is anyone finding this a bit tricky to begin with.

Its kind of hard to discuss a shopping trip using several coupons if you have to jump from thread to thread.

Am i alone........:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

mrswalton wrote: »

Its kind of hard to discuss a shopping trip using several coupons if you have to jump from thread to thread.

In fairness I unsubscribed from the coupon thread because I thought there was too much chat and not enough coupons. I like this new approach. You could always start a " Coupons, how was your trip?" thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

In fairness I unsubscribed from the coupon thread because I thought there was too much chat and not enough coupons. I like this new approach. You could always start a " Coupons, how was your trip?" thread. :D

+1... my thoughts exactly!

I was there when the coupon thread first started - posting coupons etc.... but the thread very quickly turned into a "how was your day?" chat! - one particular page in there went into great detail on the taste of big als burgers! WTF?!? - so i gave up.

I like this new layout... it will be interesting to see just how many coupons are out there for Irish users - listed out in individual threads.

Now everyone will be able to see - listed out in one forum page - what decent coupons are out there... as half of them are for items no reasonable family or person would be purchasing every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

OK, maybe it's just because i'm only a couple of weeks into couponing (and boards.ie) and find the COUPON conversations very informative. I can see if you are an old hand then you just want to cut to the chase, as you know all the ins and outs of using them. Fair enough.

Sure, more people using hopefully will mean more people posting coupons and more coupons being produced by manufacturers.

But anyone in need of more COUPON chat, then feel free to post here.

Actually i'm finding it easier to navigate today, but dipping into more threads.
    No complaints from me, just wondering how it was working for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Access wrote: »
    +1... my thoughts exactly!

Now everyone will be able to see - listed out in one forum page - what decent coupons are out there... as half of them are for items no reasonable family or person would be purchasing every week.

Have to disagree there. Some people here have used all the coupons nearly every week especially if you have a big family.

I agree with you Irishchick. I use a steady stream of them.

And the chat on the thread helped me to realise how to work it.

I often threw away money off coupons that came with tesco clubcard purely because it may have been a brand that i didn't use, or thought too expensive.
    (hangs head in shame).....not any more!

• Advertisement

Irishchick wrote: »
    Have to disagree there. Some people here have used all the coupons nearly every week especially if you have a big family.

No Bother... disagree away - 'tis your right... but after a while of the coupon thread starting way back, it died a death for a while because the only real amount of coupons available to irish customers could be counted on two hands and most of them were useless... even to a large family like mine.

Dont get me wrong - i have kids too and coupons are handy, but only for things we would normally buy week to week... otherwise, you are spending money you might not normally be spending on items you would not normally be purchasing... which makes no sense whatsoever.

Currently as i write this... there are only 14 coupons available in this forum.

Here is my personal break down of these:

Heinz Fridge Pack 70c Off : Fridge pack is per weight more expensive than buying 420g tins of heinz beans - cheaper (even with coupon!) to buy tins.

Dr Oetker Ristorante €1 off : i would use... but not till they were on offer somewhere... i might be waiting a long time!

Burger king coupons-valid to 12/2/2012 : would use but cannot... as nearest Burger king is 48 miles from me! :D

50 Cents off Cushelle Toilet Tissue : Cheaper and equal quality to buy aldi/lidl premium TP in my opinion.

Goodfellas Takeaway €1 off : again, i would use... but not till they were on offer somewhere.

Barrys Green Tea €1 off : No interest - maybe if it was for normal barrys tea.

Danacol €2 off : Have used cause there on offer... but there is the same own brand probiotic drink for half the price in lidl/aldi.

Plenty 2 Roll 75c Off : Good value coupon, but like for like kitchen roll for sale elsewhere for way less.

Jacobs Why Not €1 off : Over priced premium biscuits even with coupon.

Odlums Porridge Oats 50c off : Have used... but cheaper alternatives exist on the same shelf.

Barrys Speciality Tea €1 off : again... no interest - maybe if it was for normal barrys tea.

Flora Light 50c Off : Only spotted today... we normally buy this, so will be using.

Avonmore Light 30c Off : Avonmore light 1ltr = €1.22 Tesco low fat milk = €0.75c Same milk (as avonmore package their milk for tesco ireland) so even if you use the 30c coupon, the avonmore milk is still 17 cent more expensive for the SAME milk! Whats the point of printing the coupon? this is nuts and not worth it.

(Our family goes through at least 12ltrs a week (2ltrs x 6), and we use the milk from our local centra as its €1.29 for 2ltrs.)

Irish Pride Coupons 50c or 30c off : 30c off an Irish Pride sandwich loaf in tesco is €1.58 - .30c = €1.28 - the same premium yellow wrapper bread is made for lidl and aldi and cost .85c! coupon not worth the paper its printed on... unless you are nuts about Irish Pride bread.

So, personally our family would only use 5 of these coupons and that would not even be week to week currently. The rest in my opinion, are not worth the paper and the ink to print them as they don't represent decent value for my money.

The couponing thread started cause Tirabaralla and others on here saw the extreme couponing show on tv and I do wish Ireland was like the US, and we could go and do a €1000 shop for 48c, but in reality, this will never happen here!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dealdish

well i only began a couple of months ago and already i have .a years supply of toothbrushes that cost me nothing,a years go of toothpaste and mouthwash cost 34 euro.tomato sauce at 34cent each so got 60 units for 20 euro and comfort at 1 for large and persil for 2 euro a bottle and of course carefree at 14 cent a box,ribena for 89 cent and pizzas for a euro .so my stockpile has reduced my weekly shop ALOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Thank you for opening this thread, MrsWalton!
    For me the chat is half the fun and I find it quite useful too, normally.

Would like to discuss here general topics that are not specific to one coupon.

Btw, so proud we got a forum! :D

Going back to couponing today after a stop of few weeks, will report :)

dealdish wrote: »
    well i only began a couple of months ago and already i have .a years supply of toothbrushes that cost me nothing,a years go of toothpaste and mouthwash cost 34 euro.tomato sauce at 34cent each so got 60 units for 20 euro and comfort at 1 for large and persil for 2 euro a bottle and of course carefree at 14 cent a box,ribena for 89 cent and pizzas for a euro .so my stockpile has reduced my weekly shop ALOT.

Excellent! thats the way to do it.

Coupon for the items you would get anyways... couponing is worth it for some things.

This morning i got 10 pizzas (casa mama) for €10 instead of €25... it wasnt cause i was doing a shop, but i was heading to local SV to get the paper and remembered to bring a few coupons with me...

Thats the kids sorted for the next 10 saturdays for lunch! :D

And just to mention... thanks to the comfort and vanish liquid coupons from way back... i am still using our stockpile of both from last July! :D:D:D

Thank you for opening this thread, MrsWalton!
    For me the chat is half the fun and I find it quite useful too, normally.

Would like to discuss here general topics that are not specific to one coupon.

Btw, so proud we got a forum! :D

Going back to couponing today after a stop of few weeks, will report :)

Tirabarella,

Well, thanks go to you too, obviously, for starting the thread and many congratulations on your forum!

Will be back to read your shopping report later.

• Advertisement

Tirabarella,

Well, thanks go to you too, obviously, for starting the thread and many congratulations on your forum!

Will be back to read your shopping report later.

Aww, thank you!
    It's also the forum of the user (can't remember who now, sorry) that had the idea to ask for a dedicated forum! And the forum of everyone who voted +1 on the request thread!

Shopping log: went to Tesco for weekly shopping, saved around 20%, I am satisfied as we buy a lot of fresh food on Saturdays, so a 20% of the total is great.
    My suggestions:

the Dr.Oetker Casa Mama Pizza 2.50-1.50=1.00 euro each, I found either Pesto&Mozzarella or Ham&Mushrooms (a great Italian classic :)), btw, does anyone know until when this goes on?

the BLUE Comfort 750ml is 1.69-1.00=.69 cents

Johnsons Baby 2in1 Bubble Bath& Wash, if you get the smaller bottle is 1.30-100=.30 cents (oh, yeah! :D)

Hope this can be useful :) And thank you to everyone that shared coupons, links, suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Irishchick wrote: »

I personally have had great value out of the Comfort, Persil and Aquafresh/Sensodyne coupons and now have about 12 to 18 months worth of washing and dental product for an outlay of €41.

I absolutely ignore coupons for products that I don't use, I don't waste my ink. Keep up the good work everyone and well done Tirabella for getting me started! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Well done on the new forum!

Now to find some new coupons... :)

Mini report from mini shopping in SuperValu yesterday:
    Plenty (Juan Sheet lol) 2 rolls is discounted half price at 1.72-.75=.97 cents
    Lyons Green Tea 40 bags down to 2.79-1.00=1.79

Hope it can be useful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

where did you get the coupon for the Lyons Green Tea Bags 40's?

can only see Barry's Green Tea

thanks

where did you get the coupon for the Lyons Green Tea Bags 40's?

can only see Barry's Green Tea

thanks
    I got my Lyons ones in store in Supervalu, they were in a perspex dispenser in the tea section. They were there last week i think.

OT banter:
    Pictures of me as a couponer were taken for newspaper...no make-up on ;_;
    Sob...
    Now hoping for smaller pic EVA.

OT banter:
    Picture of me as a couponer where taken for newspaper...no make-up on ;_;
    Sob...

Were you interviewed then? How did it go. What section is it for?

OT banter:
    Picture of me as a couponer where taken for newspaper...no make-up on ;_;
    Sob...

I have to admit... anyone who is going to have their picture plastered all over a national newspaper (and even worse - a SUNDAY newspaper!) with regard to couponing is either mad in the head or has some balls! :eek: Fair dues to you... cause i wouldn't do it.

:D:D:D

I take it that it is for the sunday times?

Were you interviewed then? How did it go. What section is it for?
    Everyone was very nice, telephone interview and a few mails, then a million pics taken cause I can't smile in front of a camera for the life of me lol The poor guy.
    Dunno the section, tbh, just know it should be this sunday.
    I have to admit... anyone who is going to have their picture plastered all over a national newspaper (and even worse - a SUNDAY newspaper!) with regard to couponing is either mad in the head or has some balls! :eek: Fair dues to you... cause i wouldn't do it.

'Tis, Access.
    I understand your point but where I come from we have "recession" since 30 years and more, the more you save the more your friends wanna know how you do it, there's very little stigma about it...so I suppose I didnt think much about it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 pinkbuttercup

i read through the couponing forum while back aftr xmas and now it was changed so im a little confused and dont no if im writing in the right place sorry if im not. i rembr seeing something abt a woolite voucher and now i cnt find it i dont no if there was individual codes on each one. i am just wonderin if anyone has one?? thanks :) really cool forum btw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

i read through the couponing forum while back aftr xmas and now it was changed so im a little confused and dont no if im writing in the right place sorry if im not. i rembr seeing something abt a woolite voucher and now i cnt find it i dont no if there was individual codes on each one. i am just wonderin if anyone has one?? thanks :) really cool forum btw

That coupon expired on 30 December 2011.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283932&page=125

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Why the shame ?

Is couponing something you're embarrassed about ?

Do you not think that by couponing & saving money every week on your shopping that you're acting responsibly?

By making an effort to support companies that do issue coupons, you're encouraging others to enter the market. By spreading the word about couponing, you're encouraging others to start investigating it, discovering that they can save money, try new products at minimum financial risk & support companies that want you to buy their product.

I should make it clear, I'm not attacking you for your comment. I'm genuinely interested in why you feel that way. You participate here because you use coupons (I presume), would you feel embarrassed that you do if any of your friends or family found out ?

I've been couponing for several years (long before the TV show). My personal best was saving 67% on a weekly shop, which was admittedly time consuming & I most probably wouldn't do it on a very regular basis, but when I'm spending €33 on €100 worth of product, I'm pretty damn proud of myself.

Congratulations to Tirabaralla. I'm looking forward to reading the article & putting a face to the name after reading all your posts here.

gremha wrote: »
    Why the shame ?

No shame at all gremha... i used €22 worth of coupons today for items i would normally have on our shopping list... i love saving money full stop.

But what i am saying is fair dues to Tirabaralla and others who are going to be in the article, as i wouldnt have the balls to do it... its not that i would be embarrassed... as my mates/family/neighbours know i do it and i have passed on what i know to others... its that i would be worried in my personal opinion that a national newspaper (including the likes of the prestige sunday times) would turn the story to make me out to be some sort of coupon collecting nutjob.

Now Im sure (almost certain) that it wont turn the story like that for those involved... but thats just my personal opinion.
    I should make it clear, I'm not attacking you for your comment.

You kinda are in fairness.
    You participate here because you use coupons (I presume), would you feel embarrassed that you do if any of your friends or family found out

You presume correctly - and long before the original coupon thread ever started like yourself - and as mentioned above my extended family and friends all know and do the same themselves.

Jesus! - do you think i spend my evenings away from my family in a secret shed down the back of the garden, printing and cutting out coupons? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pinkbuttercup

brian_t wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Everyone was very nice, telephone interview and a few mails, then a million pics taken cause I can't smile in front of a camera for the life of me lol The poor guy.
    Dunno the section, tbh, just know it should be this sunday.

'Tis, Access.
    I understand your point but where I come from we have "recession" since 30 years and more, the more you save the more your friends wanna know how you do it, there's very little stigma about it...so I suppose I didnt think much about it lol

Fair play to you.

I'd guess it'll be in the money section. I did one with them awhile back on the pros/cons of the dealsite vouchers - they were quite intent on getting me to put a picture in too - but I didn't have the balls :P

Well, lets give Tirabella and her 'testicolari' a big round of applause!:D

Thank you guys, but I didn't do anything much, just tried to explain why and how I/we do it...hopefully I wasn't too bad.

Acess, I did think about what you thought about too but tbh I didn't find it that probable and decided to try and go for it to try and make this "art" more known and let the companies know that coupons are worthy to be issued in Ireland too.
    Hope I make sense.
    I wonder who else went for it :)

Also, one question I got was how many users on the forum but I don't have an exact idea, any help? TY

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

I wonder who else went for it :)

I responded by email so have to wait until tomorrow to see if any of my comments were included!

I think all the Boards couponers here are the best source of knowledge/advice on the subject - I've learned great tips and tricks from you all. ......So the article better be great :D

• Advertisement

Tesco mini log:

Persil non-bio 25 washing was 9.13, now 5.00 minus 2.00 with Pigsback coupon=3.00 euro per 25 washings, 12 cents a washing!

No coupon but Mission Deli wraps (you find them where fresh breads are) are 2 for 2.50 down from 2.89 each! 8 per pack I think, expiring at the end of February.

Casa di Mama (lol) Dr. Oetker pizza is still 2.50-1.50 coupon=1.00 euro per pizza.

Also no coupon, Tilda basmati rice (blue) is bogof for the smaller packets, good price, more convenient than buy bigger discounted packet.

Have a good weekend

Advertisement