Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Boards Foldathon

• 08-01-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What is the Foldathon:
    Right, first event of the year, and we've never been in a better position. Let's all hope for no issues this time around, and we should be able to put in a massive score. ;)

How it works:
    Run Folding@home for team boards.ie (number 39432) during the specified times. If you don't know what Folding@home is, feel free to make a thread in the forum or check these guides:

What is Folding?
    CPU Folding
    GPU Folding

When?:
    Wednesday January 12th (5pm), until Friday January 14th (also 5pm).

Sign-Up:
    No need to sign up again if you took part previously.

> Sign up Link HERE <

List of signups

Sig Link:
    [php]January Foldathon wheee.gif[/php]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

'tis mighty quiet around here. Hope everyone's enjoying themselves. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

With swine flu! :pac:

You mean... people enjoy swine flu? :confused:

Fail ugone2far.gif

I was trying to imply there was a non-enjoyable reason for the absence of people here that also made your post look somewhat ironic. Alas, straight over your head it flew... :o:p

Well.. your "reason" was more of a phrase than an actual sentence. Perhaps that was the problem?

• Advertisement

Right, I expect a good showing tomorrow from everyone. Swine flu or not. :p

^^ Hmm... was a day early with that. :p

Anyway, 2 hours to go. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Little late but the Fermi is folding now :P

~12k ppd ;)

Better late than never. :D

*puts on a fake French accent*

15 minutes remaining.

• Advertisement

ya hardly want to extend that by 40 minutes? :pac:

For you, done.

Though I should point out the stats are only updated hourly, so it'll make no difference. :D

From refreshing them every now and again, they only seem to update properly every 3-6 hours...

EOC updates every 3 hours, but Stanford's published stats update hourly.

Anyway, just downloaded them, and gonna go run the script. Back in a mo. ;)

[php]Spear 55319
    rockal 52144
    cian1500ww 28387
    hoth17 27900
    zodac 22804
    Challengemaster 22309
    Cronan 13062
    Coffee_Ninja 9552
    dwighet 6102
    SolitaryScythe 5766
    aidan_walsh 2629
    IrishTLR 1254[/php]

247,228 points and 12 Folders. Well done everyone. applaud.gif

And a nice intro to the Foldathon for our new Folders too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

woo hoo, i got 9th place....Im happy with that...:D
    never done this before...
    Is my score reasonable for an I5 and a 6870?
    And is there room for improvement(without changing my card)

An i5 should get 4k+ at stock (assuming it's an i5 750), but I'm wagering that the 6870 is huring your SMP PPD...

What PPD is HFM showing for both clients together?

zodac wrote: »
    An i5 should get 4k+ at stock (assuming it's an i5 750), but I'm wagering that the 6870 is huring your SMP PPD...

What PPD is HFM showing for both clients together?
    Mate this is all new to me.....I could`nt get my head around that hmf thing...I couldnt even get it fired up...maybe the battery is flat?:o lol
    I5 760 is the cpu

Didn't I set up HFM for you? :confused:

you did but i open it and its blank
    do you want another crack at it?

• Advertisement

Try this first:
    • Open HFM.
    • Edit> Preferences> "Startup & External" tab.
    • Check the "Load Configuration File" box.
    • Browse to your Folding folders (I think they were saved in C:\), and then into the HFM folder. Choose the config.hfm file.

:)

i5-760 should be getting 6k PPD if running 24/7 with only a light load (eg. web browsing). Heavier apps running, gaming and running a GPU client will all reduce this however.

Try this first:
    • Open HFM.
    • Edit> Preferences> "Startup & External" tab.
    • Check the "Load Configuration File" box.
    • Browse to your Folding folders (I think they were saved in C:\), and then into the HFM folder. Choose the config.hfm file.

:)

Zod....Its Friday night....have been busting me balls all week in the mine to have my friday night cans and now you want me to do that:eek: lol

I will have a go at it tomorrow when the head is right...Thanks anyway...

Solitaire wrote: »
    i5-760 should be getting 6k PPD if running 24/7 with only a light load (eg. web browsing). Heavier apps running, gaming and running a GPU client will all reduce this however.

right...I was running gpu client aswell...would my score have heen better if i was only on smp? and not runnig gpu aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 hoth17

dwighet wrote: »
    right...I was running gpu client aswell...would my score have heen better if i was only on smp? and not runnig gpu aswell?

It really depends. Since the i5 only has four cores (ie no HT) to work with, it makes running an ATI gpu difficult. This is because ATI gpu's typically like to have a core all to themselves. They will perform best when you set the affinity of the gpu client to a core which is not under load. This means, if you are also running a smp client, you would have to set the affinity so that it is not using up one of the cores.

As I said, with only 4 cores to work with, going down to three is quite a hit for the smp client. If properly setup (using a program like WinAFC [sets up affinity and priority settings]) you likely will be able to see improvement with the ATI gpu; however, you will also risk loosing bonus points with your smp client.

My advice would be to test out both scenarios and see which will yield you more PPD. Then, if the ATI setup does increase your PPD (which it should I believe), decide if the improvement is worth the heat and extra power draw from running the gpu client.

That was quite a long explanation. Feel free to ask for any clarifications from that, some-what of a ramble, explanation.

hoth17 wrote: »
    It really depends. Since the i5 only has four cores (ie no HT) to work with, it makes running an ATI gpu difficult. This is because ATI gpu's typically like to have a core all to themselves. They will perform best when you set the affinity of the gpu client to a core which is not under load. This means, if you are also running a smp client, you would have to set the affinity so that it is not using up one of the cores.

As I said, with only 4 cores to work with, going down to three is quite a hit for the smp client. If properly setup (using a program like WinAFC [sets up affinity and priority settings]) you likely will be able to see improvement with the ATI gpu; however, you will also risk loosing bonus points with your smp client.

My advice would be to test out both scenarios and see which will yield you more PPD. Then, if the ATI setup does increase your PPD (which it should I believe), decide if the improvement is worth the heat and extra power draw from running the gpu client.

That was quite a long explanation. Feel free to ask for any clarifications from that, some-what of a ramble, explanation.

That sounds doable.. Just have to sort out this HFM thing first so I can see whats going on..... Looks like I have a busy day tomorrow....

Thanks

hoth17 wrote: »

Lrn2summarise. :pac:

Lrn2summarise. :pac:

Better still...I just gotta lrn what im doin..... Not easy for an old dog thats finding it hard to lrn new tricks:(

Lol, stop asking questions when you're not ready to hear the answer then. I could go on for quite some time. :p

• Advertisement

Lol, stop asking questions when you're not ready to hear the answer then. I could go on for quite some time. :p

Ok so...But i look back on your answers when im ready to tackle them....

Advertisement