Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Nenagh to Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I passed the Interchange at Nenagh and the tie in is now to the final sub layer. They only have wearing course to lay on the entirety of the tie in and the existing Nenagh bypass.

I cannot comment on the rest of the bypass.

I will say that the builders holidays are definately having an affect on work being completed in a timely manner.

Previously, and from my own experience, the builders holidays are generally worked through by most for extra pay.

I have spoken to friends and people working in the industry who have been told to TAKE the holidays and there is no option of working.

The only people I could see working on the M7 were the UK guys sealing the bridges decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was on the Nenagh bypass today and drove through the cones and parked my car in the middle of the new dual carraigeway. :D

And took these photos:

Looking northbound

PICT0652.jpg

Looking Southbound to where you can see the final sub layer has been laid down.

PICT0651.jpg

I headed North and turned after the end of the Nenagh bypass heading North and cut by the next section where they are building another structure. They are basically at the beginning on this structure. They have barely started the first pillars to support the bridge and groundworks are far far behind. The next section of the N7 is going to be a long long way away by the looks of things. I could not stop here because the guy kept waving me on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Berty wrote: »
    Looking Southbound to where you can see the final sub layer has been laid down.

PICT0651.jpg

I headed North and turned after the end of the Nenagh bypass heading North and cut by the next section where they are building another structure. They are basically at the beginning on this structure. They have barely started the first pillars to support the bridge and groundworks are far far behind. The next section of the N7 is going to be a long long way away by the looks of things. I could not stop here because the guy kept waving me on.

That looks extremely tight for a hard shoulder to go under the bridge in the background. Is the bridge even widened? Thanks for those Berty havnt been down near Nenagh in the last few weeks to see whats going on. I cant wait for this one to finish hopefully in November if all goes well.

I agree with you, the next section of N7 (Nenagh-Castletown) is well behind. It wont make it for completion next year IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I was on two autobahns today - the A70 and the A9 - and there were sections on both of these that had NO hard shoulders at all, coupled with steep climbs and sharpish bends. Speed limit: 130 km/h. The Nenagh Bypass will be okay I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That's the existing bridge on the link from old road out of Nenagh and no, it's not been altered. As far as I can remember there is a hard shoulder, it's been discussed before.

It's quite common on UK motorways that have been widened for there to be lengths with no hard shoulder or for it to go behind the bridge piers, doesn't seem to cause a problem.

• Advertisement

101sean wrote: »
    That's the existing bridge on the link from old road out of Nenagh and no, it's not been altered. As far as I can remember there is a hard shoulder, it's been discussed before.

I'm sure we were indeed discussing about the width of the bridges on the Nenagh bypass before. There was never a photo or video of this overbridge but Berty provided videos of the others and we were generally happy to think they would be ok for full length hard shoulder. This overbridge hasnt been drawn into debate yet, well there wasnt a picture to reference the argument.
    Now judging from this photo there wont be a hard shoulder under this overbridge. Mysterious brought it up before that one of the overbridges looked exteremely tight and he has been proved right.

This is the second thread now where I've come across this discussed before charade. I wont contribute to this thread again if I'm given responses like that.

It's quite common on UK motorways that have been widened for there to be lengths with no hard shoulder or for it to go behind the bridge piers, doesn't seem to cause a problem.

There is a difference between U.K and Irish motorists. A hard shoulder is a requirement on a motorway in case of emergencys. I would find the NRA are cutting corners with tight overbridges like this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    A road doesnt drop by 2,000 in one month.

It didn't "drop by 2,000 in one month". If you actually LOOKED at the figures you'd see that its about 2,000 lower in Dec/Jan/Feb than in mid summer for every year which there is data for. You are trying to use its 2008 average figures compared to February 2009 for other roads to justify your "revised figures".

The roads you've bumped it above in your "revised" figures all have significantly higher 2008 average figures than February 2009 figures. ALL ROADS DO. N11 Jack Whites is 20943, about 2,000 higher. N18 Hurlers X is 26996, about 1,500 higher. Notice a pattern here?

But of course, you never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tech2 wrote: »
    There is a difference between U.K and Irish motorists. A hard shoulder is a requirement on a motorway in case of emergencys. I would find the NRA are cutting corners with tight overbridges like this.
    There are already significant stretches of hard-shoulderless motorway in the Republic of Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

murphaph wrote: »
    There are already significant stretches of hard-shoulderless motorway in the Republic of Ireland.

Where? Under bridges on the upgraded bits of the M50, and the estuary bridge on the M1 are the only places I can think of which are already motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

In any case, I think even with the bridge in the photo on the previous page, there will be hard shoulder under, even if the barrier for the bridge pillars will be right up against a slightly narrower hard shoulder. Last time I passed under it I estimated that it was just about wide enough for almost 6 lanes.

My main concern would be that there is an adequate crash barrier around the pillars.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Where? Under bridges on the upgraded bits of the M50, and the estuary bridge on the M1 are the only places I can think of which are already motorway.
    the entire Port Tunnel too.

The Estuary Bridge is the best example of 'normal' untolled motorway having no hard shoulder and it's a good long stretch. This little bridge on the M7 is nothing compared to it.

Never even thought of the DPT, good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

discussed before charade. I wont contribute to this thread again if I'm given responses like that
    Jeez, calm down, I was only pointing out that it had been raised before, not that we shouldn't carry on discussing it! Some very sensitive souls on here ;)

It wasn't in my section so I never looked at it closely but I'm still pretty sure there's hard shoulder through there, happy to be proved wrong :D
    Given the current trend for risk assesment and paranoia (some of it justified with ever increasing truck sizes and weights) I'm fairly confident the designers will have included adequate barriers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

So where are these significant stretches of hard-shoulderless motorway in Ireland? Apart from the tunnel and bridge on the M1/M50 I can't recall any.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

We don't have any significant stretches of motorway like this. Bit of an overstatement...

The Estuary crossing and DPT are a viaduct and a tunnel. There's a strong precedent in other countries for leaving dead space out in these situations. It would be very expensive to provide the stopping lane here compared to the benefit you'd get from it. In any case the DPT has refuges every so often (can't remember how many) to get around this problem.

Look at the Thousand Islands bridge in New York for an example. Despite being I-81 (an interstate freeway), not only does the bridge have no stopping lanes (check the streetview for proof), but it only has 1 traffic lane each way.

spacetweek wrote: »
    We don't have any significant stretches of motorway like this. Bit of an overstatement...

The Estuary crossing and DPT are a viaduct and a tunnel. There's a strong precedent in other countries for leaving dead space out in these situations. It would be very expensive to provide the stopping lane here compared to the benefit you'd get from it. In any case the DPT has refuges every so often (can't remember how many) to get around this problem.

Look at the Thousand Islands bridge in New York for an example. Despite being I-81 (an interstate freeway), not only does the bridge have no stopping lanes (check the streetview for proof), but it only has 1 traffic lane each way.
    My point (which seems to have been incorrectly received) was simply that we already have much longer stretches of hard-shoulderless motorway than this piddly little bridge. Some people seemed to be getting their knickers in a twist over a loss of HS for 100m or so either side of this N7 structure. I just pointed out that such distances are already exceeded without incident.

The swiss have mandated to eliminat hard shoulders completely on many new Autobahnen given the modern car is so reliable. Refuges will be provided instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Word on the grapevine is a late December opening (Nenagh-Limerick). I don't think it will make it though. The works at Drominboy bog look to be still ongoing.

Looks like the grapevine is changing again. Not expected to open until Q1 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Who said this?

I just did. I'm not going to give away my sources but I'd be fairly confident that it's on the money. December was the completion date at the start of the summer but that has slipped considerably since then.

I just did. I'm not going to give away my sources but I'd be fairly confident that it's on the money. December was the completion date at the start of the summer but that has slipped considerably since then.

Well don't say it as fact.

The completion date is early December. It slipped in summer because of contract problems. That is now resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

My point (which seems to have been incorrectly received) was simply that we already have much longer stretches of hard-shoulderless motorway than this piddly little bridge. Some people seemed to be getting their knickers in a twist over a loss of HS for 100m or so either side of this N7 structure. I just pointed out that such distances are already exceeded without incident.

The swiss have mandated to eliminat hard shoulders completely on many new Autobahnen given the modern car is so reliable. Refuges will be provided instead.

And what happens when there a major incident and the emergency services can not access the scene

moose112 wrote: »
    And what happens when there a major incident and the emergency services can not access the scene
    If people were taught to drive properly (and followed through on it) they's just do as the Swiss (and germans and others) do....

In a traffic jam on ANY 2 lane dual carriageway in Germany (and CH), traffic in the left lane must move left and traffic in the right lane must move right. This is a standard rule of the road and means a path down the middle is always left clear for emergency services.

Good driving can maximise the available infrastructure (similar to ped crossings in Germany etc. having no 'all ped' phase-keeps traffic moving much better but requires good driving and responsible pedestrians).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I agree.

But in general Irish drivers are to thick and ignorant to do this anyways didn't mean to go off topic

If people were taught to drive properly (and followed through on it) they's just do as the Swiss (and germans and others) do....

In a traffic jam on ANY 2 lane dual carriageway in Germany (and CH), traffic in the left lane must move left and traffic in the right lane must move right. This is a standard rule of the road and means a path down the middle is always left clear for emergency services.

Good driving can maximise the available infrastructure (similar to ped crossings in Germany etc. having no 'all ped' phase-keeps traffic moving much better but requires good driving and responsible pedestrians).

But you have to understand people wouldn't be getting in a knicker twists about the lack of HS, tight bridges and lack of foresighted roads

If we actually built our roads right in the first place:p I don't get why you seem to always defend the issue that we always make a cock up on building our roads every time.

But you have to understand people wouldn't be getting in a knicker twists about the lack of HS, tight bridges and lack of foresighted roads

If we actually built our roads right in the first place:p I don't get why you seem to always defend the issue that we always make a cock up on building our roads every time.
    we don't cock up our new roads every time ffs.

There are outstanding issues such as a couple of poorly designed junctions and in particular signage. To state that all our new roads have been 'cocked up' is more than a little unfair to those involved.

There's a finite budget (something you don't seem to grasp) and other transport priorities exist (particularly rail in and around Dublin). You can't always build the best solution and this goes for every country in Europe.

we don't cock up our new roads every time ffs.

There are outstanding issues such as a couple of poorly designed junctions and in particular signage. To state that all our new roads have been 'cocked up' is more than a little unfair to those involved.

There's a finite budget (something you don't seem to grasp) and other transport priorities exist (particularly rail in and around Dublin). You can't always build the best solution and this goes for every country in Europe.

I realise everything

I even realise how expensive it was to upgrade the M50. Maybe you don't see it.Maybe you don't see that a large percentage of busy interchanges that are built now has to be upgraded. look at every single interchange we are building now, mostly rounabouts, dumbells and non collaborative.

Look at all the Roads/interchanges built on the LSRR. Look at Grannagh, Dunkettle, CSRR interchanges, Adare bypass, Nenagh bypass. Narrow bridges on the M7/M8 scheme, Restricted interchanges of The M4-M6-M7.M8-M9, The M50 interchanges and the now incredibly outdated interchange proposed at Newlands cross.

You and many people don't learn at all.

There is nothing unfair about been critical of showing how much money we have wasted in not building our infrastructure right. If we built the frggin things right the first time around, we would have plentiul recourses to concentrate on other roads. Criticsim is needed, so we can learn from our past mistakes.

You miss the big picture every time. :D woo I will leave it there.

Well don't say it as fact.

The completion date is early December. It slipped in summer because of contract problems. That is now resolved.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where did I say it was a fact? I just said that I would believe my source.

I gave the info about the December opening. The 'contract problems' were late last year/early this year. After those issues were resolved the expected completion date was just before Jeebusmas '09. Other issues have now cropped up that will force this back to Q1 2010.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where did I say it was a fact? I just said that I would believe my source.

I gave the info about the December opening. The 'contract problems' were late last year/early this year. After those issues were resolved the expected completion date was just before Jeebusmas '09. Other issues have now cropped up that will force this back to Q1 2010.

Said who?

Said who?

Ahem, please see my previous few posts.

• Advertisement

If its 2010 it wont go past January, I've seen significant stretches of the scheme and most of it is ready for the wearing course to be laid. Gantry's are also erected and I would be suprised if it falls into 2010. There is problems still with a section of bog south of Daly's cross which would be the only reason why this would not be finished this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement