Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

manual_man wrote: »
    Villa Bolton is off. Out of respect for Muamba

Slipped my mind when I was typing that. That makes it a little more clear cut alright. Football must be the last thing the Bolton players are thinking about right now.

Absolutely. Puts everything into perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Not for the 148 people who have transferred him in this week. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Are we about to see a Demba Ba like rise for Valencia?

He's going up tonight anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Lads, if you were to have one cheap striker for the rest of the season......who'd it be?

Have a slot that I need to fill but don't want to spend much and don't want to play them much if I have to. Still want to have a good return though in case I do need to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Are we about to see a Demba Ba like rise for Valencia?

He's going up tonight anyway

I'd say we will. He's only owned by 2.6% at the moment I think. He dropped by nearly a million as well, so I think he'll easily get back up to 8 million. Dunno after that.

I'm so tempted to get him in tonight. Young last week was a failure. Would I be better off keeping Young or selling for Valencia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

smokingman wrote: »
    Lads, if you were to have one cheap striker for the rest of the season......who'd it be?

Have a slot that I need to fill but don't want to spend much and don't want to play them much if I have to. Still want to have a good return though in case I do need to play them.

Yakubu. Blackburn are in a relegation battle and have alot to play for. It'd be him or Hoilett for me anyway.

The likes of Graham (Swansea) and the Pog (Fulham) have nothing left to play for. Their teams are guaranteed to finish in mid table obscurity. The bottom five clubs are Wigan, Wolves, Bolton, Blackburn and QPR. I'd be picking a cheap striker from those and Yakubu/Hoilett would be the pick of the bunch.

I am a biased Blackburn supporter though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Even Newcastle's Cisse. They'll be looking for a place in Europe.

He's 6.7m though so depends on your funds.

Yep, Valencia already gone up by 0.1. Hopefully he won't go up again until after tomorrows games...

PopTarts wrote: »
    Even Newcastle's Cisse. They'll be looking for a place in Europe.

He's 6.7m though so depends on your funds.

Good suggestion alright but I'd be worried again about Newcastle not having anything to play for. Europa League qualification isn't the carrot that drives a team like a Champions League place or relegation will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lemlin wrote: »
    Good suggestion alright but I'd be worried again about Newcastle not having anything to play for. Europa League qualification isn't the carrot that drives a team like a Champions League place or relegation will.

Not to big clubs but to the smaller clubs that extra few million could be massive .plus this article leads me to believe they really want to get there .

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-James-Perch-urges-team-mates-not-to-blow-top-six-finish-and-possible-European-place-article880597.html
    James Perch has ordered his Newcastle team-mates not to blow their glorious chance of a top six finish.

Defender Perch has revealed that manager Alan Pardew has issued a rallying call, laying out the stakes that the Geordies are playing for over the final nine games.

At the start of the season, the official line was that Newcastle wanted a top half finish. But that has been rewritten, with a Europa League place now the target.

Newcastle, currently sixth with 47 points,could need more than 60 points to achieve that dream, and Perch says they will fight "by hook or crook" to finish the job.
    He said: "I think we have to give the next nine games a proper go, otherwise we are going to have let ourselves down.

"We have got ourselves in this position through hard work and desire, so for us to let it slip now with nine games left I think it will be a disappointment and that's not what we deserve.

"It does highlight how far we have come.

"The gaffer said last week that not many people get the chance to get into Europe with a club like Newcastle.

"He said, 'You have got to grasp it with both hands and make the most of it, as in 10 years' time you look back on your career and think, "I could have got into Europe and let it slip".

"It is something all the lads want. We all want to be there and the aim is to win as many games as we can out of these nine games."

Perch, who performed well in an unfamiliar holding midfield role in the weekend's home win over Norwich, added: "It was one win, when you are looking it like that - one game down, one win, clean sheet. It's perfect.

"All we need to do now is get the performances good, so the fans can enjoy it a little bit more.

"The main objective is win - hook or by crook. We were fighting for it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Lemlin wrote: »
    Yakubu or Hoilett :D

So here's the thing - I've a choice of two combinations that I'm probably not going to get rid of for the rest of the season and seeing as I have a strong midfield (Gerard, Siggy, Bale, Silva, Valencia) and two top strikers (Rooney, Van Pirsie), my third choice striker probably won't get a lot of first-eleven time: So given that, is it worth spending money on Yakubu at Skrtels expense?

My other defenders are Assou Ekotto, J Evans, Caulker and Warnock.

Yakubu 5.9 and Kelly 5.2 (liverpool)

or

Morrison 4.7 (Norwich) and Skrtel 6.4 (liverpool)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

If Messi was in the Premier League, how expensive do you think he'd be in the game?

15 million min IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

How much did Ronaldo start as the season after he scored about 50 goals? That was 13, right?

If Messi came in, I'd quit playing FF and just enjoy his games. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just came into this thread to write about Messi. He'd surely be around the 15 mark. He's worth two players.

A front 3 of Rooney, RVP and Messi would be orgasmic. I'd sacrifice in every other position just to get them in. Shane Ferguson for Newcastle would be in almost every team just to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Yakubu 5.9 and Kelly 5.2

Keep in mind that whilst Kelly has done well, he's unlikely to get his game when Glen Johnson is fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I just came into this thread to write about Messi. He'd surely be around the 15 mark. He's worth two players.

Had a look there and did a quick estimation of how many points he'd get this season if La Liga had the same points system.

Appearances: 27x2 = 54

Goals: 34x4 = 136

Assists: 9x3 = 27

Bonus: = 60

Total = 277

Points per game = 10.3

Van Persie is currently valued at 13.5m and has a total of 214 points from 28 games, 7.6 points per game.

So VP scores 74% of Messi's points on average, so Messi would be worth just over 18m in comparison to VP's current value.

So here's the thing - I've a choice of two combinations that I'm probably not going to get rid of for the rest of the season and seeing as I have a strong midfield (Gerard, Siggy, Bale, Silva, Valencia) and two top strikers (Rooney, Van Pirsie), my third choice striker probably won't get a lot of first-eleven time: So given that, is it worth spending money on Yakubu at Skrtels expense?

My other defenders are Assou Ekotto, J Evans, Caulker and Warnock.

Yakubu 5.9 and Kelly 5.2 (liverpool)

or

Morrison 4.7 (Norwich) and Skrtel 6.4 (liverpool)

Kelly won't start once Glen Johnson comes back. I also don't think that Morison at Norwich is guaranteed a game. Bear in mind also that Norwich are almost guaranteed safety and so have very little left to play for. I try to stick to relegation threatened and potential CL teams toward the season end. Just look at Blackburn and 2 clean sheets in a row after none all season.

I haven't the site here in work but I'd be going for Hoilett/Yakubu from Blackburn and then a defender that is 5.2 or less. Michael Turner at Sunderland has been decent value for me the past few weeks and has picked up a few bonus points.

I know Liverpool kept a clean sheet against Everton last week but Everton put out a poor team and I never trust a Liverpool defence when Jamie Carragher is playing, which he will be due to Agger's injury. His best years are well behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

someone like messi would ruin FPL for me tbh, everyone has him, everyone captains him every week. very hard to make big gains in a week. RVP is almost at that stage i suppose, but there's still been many weeks where he wasn't the easy choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheAlexCrewe

I'm going to replace Mignolet with Bogdan. I'll play Vorm the rest of the time now but I'll roll Bogdan out for the DGWs whenever they may be. Mignolet let me down last night and I had Vorm on the bench with a clean sheet. Every time I think Swansea will concede, I've been wrong. I suppose I was willing Dempsey to score having just brought him in.

Yep I already have Bogdan, could turn out to be pretty useful. One of his games will be against Villa who are missing top goalscorer Bent and have only scored three goals in their last 5 games. I wouldn't recommend anyone else for the double GW though.

Even if Bogdan concedes in both games he should pick up a couple of points from saves so we should be looking at minimum 4-5 points anyway. If he keeps a clean sheet we could see double figures. If we look at his last 8 games and split them into double GW's he would have scored 6, 5, 9, 10. And these 8 games included Man United (A), Man City (A), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (H) and Arsenal (H).

I'm confused as to why Bloton have a blank for GW 34? I'm guessing this is earmarked for the FA cup replay, if its played. Could mean another double GW for Bogdan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

roryc wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why Bloton have a blank for GW 34? I'm guessing this is earmarked for the FA cup replay, if its played. Could mean another double GW for Bogdan.

Aren't Bolton and Spurs due to play in the league, and whoever gets through in the cup will be playing that weekend?

Blackburn Bolton game will be going ahead this weekend. Just confirmed on Breakingnews.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anybody any early news on the big game tonight?

I think with Terry, Lescott, and possibly Kompany out, we could be in for a goalfest

manual_man wrote: »
    Anybody any early news on the big game tonight?

I think with Terry, Lescott, and possibly Kompany out, we could be in for a goalfest

If Silva is involved alot, that would be great. Can't see it happening though. Mancini will be cautious and any sort of win will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Is it just me or is the FPL site broken? Player popups are not working and more importantly I don't have a "pick team" option on the transfers menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

SkySter wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the FPL site broken? Player popups are not working and more importantly I don't have a "pick team" option on the transfers menu?

Points not updated either :) I wasn't able to access the "pop-up's" for player stats last night either.

SkySter wrote: »

I had the same problem last night alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lescott out for next game says Mancini and Lennon and Ade both doubts for Chelsea game . Spurs are falling apart they'll be very lucky to finish in top 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

finished on 74 before last night bonii. hoping for a few from RVP and maybe Bale.

players i may consider transferring out; Bale, Dempsey, Pog

players i may consider bringing in; Yak, Walcott, Mata

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    finished on 74 before last night bonii. hoping for a few from RVP and maybe Bale.

players i may consider transferring out; Bale, Dempsey, Pog

players i may consider bringing in; Yak, Walcott, Mata

I'd agree re Dempsey and Pog but can't see why you'd be transferring Bale out. Spurs aren't going great but he was immense last night.

The Yak is definitely worth considering. My only problem is knowing whether he or Hoilett is the best option. Both are in-form.

Mata for me isn't consistent. He has a the odd high week but its intersparsed with far too many 1 and 2 point performances.

Was Walcott any good last night? I haven't watched the full Arsenal highlights yet. He done nothing of note in the first few minutes I saw anyway. Put through once and squared to Ramsey rather than shoot himself. Ramsey, of course, ballooned it over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement