Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One radio, two SSIDs

• 12-06-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I have one of those new fangled Vodafone HG658C broadband & wifi yokes. I actually know the correct name for them any more. Back in the day you had an access point which was separate from the router. Anyhoo . . .

I see it supports multiple SSIDs, but from experience (tonight) it seems to only broadcast on one channel for all SSIDs. I was rather hoping I could set them up on different frequencies. I guess this means there's only one radio in the device, so it can only broadcast on one channel at a time.

Does this sound correct?

How does this work from the old interference point of view? I know it's not putting two radios beside each other, broadcasting on the same channel & interfering, but does simply having a second SSID on the same channel impact throughput?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bandwidth is shared. They're two "digital" names on one analogue carrier. Antenna is capable of what its capable of.

To get double the bandwidth you need a dual channel AP.

Advertisement