Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gameweek 4 Captain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

CSF wrote: »
    Fair play for what though? Making a bad choice? I'm not sure Watford's last 2 games are reflective either but the smart thing to do would be give them the benefit of the doubt no?

We won't know if it's a good or bad choice until the weekend or even the end of the season.

I think there'll be better opportunities but in a week were Aguero is runaway captain choice, at home to a promoted side, it's certainly not a crazy idea imo.

The "might be rested after 60" could be used against any poor team. He could be in better form but he's looking sharp... Again, not an option for me but it seems harsh to dismiss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,821 ✭✭✭✭CSF

manual_man wrote: »
    i'm sorry... but COME ON. "making a bad choice" - that kind of language is just totally unnecessary - there's a way to outline your points without being arrogant and pure dismissive. Aguero could score a hatrick this weekend. He could blank. WE JUST DON'T KNOW at this point in time. So brandishing something a bad choice is just not on i.m.o., and goes against the spirit of the forum. Going on like that will only discourage people (forum noobs, especially) from posting in future... do you not think? It's not the opinions on the matter i have a problem with (far from it), but the manner of some of them, to me anyway, are just coming across as aggressive and just not very nice. Ain't got no time for that

Relax, saying something is a bad choice is not aggressive. I'm not referring to the poster as a player, I already complemented him on his current score. This forum doesn't serve much purpose though if we don't call a spade a spade. There are good choices and bad choices and there are grey areas. Sometimes the good choices don't work and sometimes the bad ones end up in a bumper score but over time you maximise your score by making the best choices with the information you have.

I'd like to think the poster in question knows I'm simply addressing the topic in question rather than him as a player as a poster, and I'd like to think I could help him get a better score, in the same way that I hope him and the rest of the forum can and have done the same for me.

Is there really a lot of weaker defences though? Do two clean sheets at home to West Brom and Southampton prove much? They're second favourites for relegation so maybe the smarter play would be to give Paddy Power et al the benefit of the doubt!

Call me naive if you will but I think that Nyom, Prodl, Cathcart and Holebas will struggle tomorrow against a rampant Man City who are scoring for fun at the minute.

Watford probably will get relegated, but likely down to not scoring enough goals which has already been a problem for them. I'm inclined to think you have to give the benefit of the doubt to that defence until they show signs of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

km79 wrote: »
    I think hazard could match or better agueros score this week but I'll play it safe!

Costa is another one, and i'm surprised to see he has only 3 votes, though from seeing teams on the forum he doesn't seem to be in too many - Aguero/Benteke & A.N.other being the most popular set-up for now

PARlance wrote: »
    We won't know if it's a good or bad choice until the weekend or even the end of the season.

I think there'll be better opportunities but in a week were Aguero is runaway captain choice, at home to a promoted side, it's certainly not a crazy idea imo.

The "might be rested after 60" could be used against any poor team. He could be in better form but he's looking sharp... Again, not an option for me but it seems harsh to dismiss it.
    I wouldn't agree with that. I think the quality of a choice is determined by the logic used rather than the end result.

It stands to reason that Aguero is likely to score more goals in 2 games than 1, and more goals against a defence that has been leaky than one that has been keeping clean sheets. The best choices are made using solid reasoning.

I don't mean to be harsh. I apologise if I was picked up that way but I don't think this forum works to its best if we can't distinguish between good and bad choices (although most are grey areas) without hurting people. I would want to know if people thought I was doing something mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I think hazard could match or better agueros score this week
    but I'll play it safe!

Agueros done feck all. I have him and...meh. really?

Funkfield wrote: »

Yeah but, it's coming. It's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Relax, saying something is a bad choice is not aggressive. I'm not referring to the poster as a player, I already complemented him on his current score. This forum doesn't serve much purpose though if we don't call a spade a spade. There are good choices and bad choices and there are grey areas. Sometimes the good choices don't work and sometimes the bad ones end up in a bumper score but over time you maximise your score by making the best choices with the information you have.

I'd like to think the poster in question knows I'm simply addressing the topic in question rather than him as a player as a poster, and I'd like to think I could help him get a better score, in the same way that I hope him and the rest of the forum can and have done the same for me.

Well we'll just agree to disagree. It comes across as aggressive and arrogant to me. No one knows the future, so i simply don't like the idea of saying outright to someone that what they're considering "is" a bad choice. There's no "is" at this point in time. Only possibility. Possibility for success. And possibility for failure. No more to say on the matter

Yeah but, it's coming. It's coming.

So you're saying this is definitely triple captain week?

Definitely........?

Honestly I was going with yaya.

• Advertisement

So you're saying this is definitely triple captain week?

Definitely........?

Hahaha no. But it's captain week.

manual_man wrote: »
    Well we'll just agree to disagree. It comes across as aggressive and arrogant to me. No one knows the future, so i simply don't like the idea of saying outright to someone that what they're considering "is" a bad choice. There's no "is" at this point in time. Only possibility. Possibility for success. And possibility for failure. No more to say on the matter
    Post makes sense considering I've already conceded that anything can happen in football, but sure look, leave it. I don't come on here to argue with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,431 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

These two words do not belong together.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

I wouldn't agree with that. I think the quality of a choice is determined by the logic used rather than the end result.

It stands to reason that Aguero is likely to score more goals in 2 games than 1, and more goals against a defence that has been leaky than one that has been keeping clean sheets. The best choices are made using solid reasoning.

I don't mean to be harsh. I apologise if I was picked up that way but I don't think this forum works to its best if we can't distinguish between good and bad choices (although most are grey areas) without hurting people. I would want to know if people thought I was doing something mad.

I appreciate where you are coming from but if I played percentages each and every week with each call then I reckon I think I would finish with a high-to-average score over the course of a season. Nothing wrong with that of course but personally I want some more enjoyment and also hopefully finish with a high score so I am going for it. The last few weeks have been the most fun I've had playing Fantasy Football in years, I'm going to strike while the iron is hot before I invariably hit a bad patch fall outside the top 100k and the whole thing starts losing its enjoyment.

I do comprehend your sound logic also (i agree that 2 games is more than 1 game for example) and as I said, I have weighed all of this up as part of my choice. I didn't come on here to have everyone (or anyone even) agree with me but by God, I didn't expect to get responses as if I'm some sort of brain dead fool who has just triple captained Mario Balotelli!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

This is nuts. I've never read a forum with an atmosphere as helpful and friendly as this one. Does that mean we can't point out what we consider to be folly? Thomas I appreciate thatg you're on a roll and if you only come here to tell us what you are doing rather than seek debate or advice then that's fine, free country and all. Most if not all of us post here because we want to be high up on week 38. Whatever we say is with that in mind. Nobody ccalled you a fool, it's only a silly game but if your gonna spend time at it you might as well do it right.

I didn't mean you were being harsh to posters, just that calling it a bad decision was harsh....i.e it mightn't be the best decision but I don't think it's a bad one.

There are risks with holding it (TC) too.
    Aguero could get injured late in the season, City mightn't have a DGW, they don't have any real tasty home fixture in the title run in.

I wouldn't play it this week but let the bull at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

PARlance wrote:
    I didn't mean you were being harsh to posters, just that calling it a bad decision was harsh....i.e it mightn't be the best decision but I don't think it's a bad one.

There are risks with holding it (TC) too. Aguero could get injured late in the season, City mightn't have a DGW, they don't have any real tasty home fixture in the title run in.

I wouldn't play it this week but let the bull at it

Hazard, Pedro and Sanchez are all decent triple captain alternatives if City don't have a dgw

... triple captained Mario Balotelli!!

Do you think he'll start? Tempted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All the talk of 180 mins, I had to login to double check that this WASN'T a double gameweek

spock. wrote: »
    Hazard, Pedro and Sanchez are all decent triple captain alternatives if City don't have a dgw

A bit early to be throwing Pedro in there imo, but yes, there will be alternatives.
    Equally, Aguero in a single game could outscore all alternatives given 2 two. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Pfft, everyone knows the treble captain should be saved for a PVA DGW

PARlance wrote: »

There are risks with holding it (TC) too.
    Aguero could get injured late in the season, City mightn't have a DGW, they don't have any real tasty home fixture in the title run in.

I wouldn't play it this week but let the bull at it :)

Understood, I was probably a little bit over touchy having just been called aggressive and arrogant!!!

I get the risks but at the same time a DGW captain doesn't necessarily HAVE to be Aguero to be a better choice, but ideally it would. Aguero in a DGW is the daddy of captains, other big hitters is next, Aguero against a leaky defence probably comes next. After that is probably where this lies.

Don't get me wrong I expect Aguero to score this week. But let's say he does well and gets 2 and gets the bonus. 13 points, we'd consider that a good week, well I would. Then you compare the DGW player who plays both games, and only scores 1 in 1 of them but gets the 3 bonus. We'd consider that a bad haul probably from our captain. And yet it's 11 points. Only 2 points less than what we consider a good haul for Aguero this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I fear my comment re not captaining Aguero, because you dont have him, may have opened a big tin of worms.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

for gw4 last year I had dumped Costa sue to supposed injury and brought in and captained balotelli...........I think I'll just go aguero this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

This is nuts. I've never read a forum with an atmosphere as helpful and friendly as this one. Does that mean we can't point out what we consider to be folly? Thomas I appreciate thatg you're on a roll and if you only come here to tell us what you are doing rather than seek debate or advice then that's fine, free country and all. Most if not all of us post here because we want to be high up on week 38. Whatever we say is with that in mind. Nobody ccalled you a fool, it's only a silly game but if your gonna spend time at it you might as well do it right.

Seems very helpful and friendly alright!

I don't have any problem with people not agreeing with my choice. It's a thread on Gameweek 4 Captains and mine may be a little bit different to yours, doesn't make it any more or less valid. I'm taking a chance, I know that...but equally everyone is taking a chance with their new chips, nobody is right or wrong. A certain Roy Keane-Carlos Queiroz anecdote springs to mind when I read some of the responses here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Excellent, looks like ill make up plenty of ground this week with Bentekkers as el capitano

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yaya's going to get a hat trick in a 3-0 win all assisted by Sterling anyway so this will all be redundant soon enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Seems very helpful and friendly alright!

I don't have any problem with people not agreeing with my choice. It's a thread on Gameweek 4 Captains and mine may be a little bit different to yours, doesn't make it any more or less valid. I'm taking a chance, I know that...but equally everyone is taking a chance with their new chips, nobody is right or wrong. A certain Roy Keane-Carlos Queiroz anecdote springs to mind when I read some of the responses here :D

Don't worry about always making safe plays. People probably just jumped because you said the goal is to get top 1000 now. That's all well and nice but it's a marathon not a sprint and we don't know the best time to play these chips since they're new. The common consensus is DGW since we've all seen what Suarez, Benteke, even Charlie Austin can do in one. If Aguero bags a hat trick this weekend, you'll look a genius (at least until he gets two hat tricks in DGW25 :P).

for gw4 last year I had dumped Costa sue to supposed injury and brought in and captained balotelli...........I think I'll just go aguero this year :D

You're some idiot!

(Personal joke folks, "my friend" did the same)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In terms of single GW triple captain options for Aguero, Newcastle and Sunderland at home are too immediate ones that would be more attractive than Watford.

Advertisement