Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I would honestly question the viability of the Lucan Luas. I mean, I haven't done quite enough research into that project to really be able to speak with too much confidence, but, with competitive bus options, and considering the alignment, which as you say has quite the number of sharp curves and at grade crossings, it might not be the best use of our limited cash.
    If the Interconnector was built and there was reliable frequent darts from Adamstown to Dublin and Darts from Clonsilla/Maynooth to Dublin, then a high frequency bus service serving a new road from Clonsilla to Adamstown through lucan would be much better money spent than a luas in parallel with two heavy rail lines.

This needs quality roads to be built between Lucan and Clonsilla/Blanch, instead of the goat tracks there now.
    But these are needed now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

Both the interconnector and Metro North are described as "high frequency", I take that to mean that there'll be a train every few minutes in the city centre at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If the Interconnector was built and there was reliable frequent darts from Adamstown to Dublin and Darts from Clonsilla/Maynooth to Dublin, then a high frequency bus service serving a new road from Clonsilla to Adamstown through lucan would be much better money spent than a luas in parallel with two heavy rail lines.

This needs quality roads to be built between Lucan and Clonsilla/Blanch, instead of the goat tracks there now.
    But these are needed now anyway.
    Said the exact same thing years ago and stand by it. Lucan Luas is a monumental waste of money for West Dublin. The DART will kick it's arse in journey time. The focus for West Dublin (in a scenario where we have the DART Underground resulting in high frequency DARTs up and running) should be north-south ROAD improvements to allow buses bring people to and from the railheads at Porterstown,Clonsilla, Lucan North (station should be reopened), Adamstown, Kishoge etc. and on to Luas Red line (Saggart Area). The biggest missing piece is a new Liffey crossing near Lucan. 2 or three HIGH QUALITY parallel north-south bus routes running Blanch-Saggart (ish) woould do immensely more for Lucan than the sh!tty Luas as proposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Craig Fay

From the Green Party convention.
    Delegates voted against a motion calling for the cancellation of the Metro North project in favour of enhancing Ireland's bus service. The party's Oireachtas group put forward an amended motion in favour of continued funding for an integrated transport network including the Metro North Project. Speaking in favour of the original motion, Gary Fitzgerald from Dublin Central said the Metro project would be an enormous drain on the State's resources at a time when Dublin Bus was seeing continued cutbacks. He said this was one of the key issues on which the party's candidates were 'hammered' on the doorsteps in the last local elections. He said in the current era of austerity, it was necessary to prioritise projects that would bring immediate impact. Speaking for the amended motion, Ciarán Cuffe said misleading figures were being bandied about in relation to the Metro North project. He said a large portion of the funding came from the private sector and it was not as simple as switching funds between projects. Metro North was, he said, a long term project that is almost ready to go after years of planning.
    Minister Eamon Ryan, supporting his Oireachtas colleague, urged members to vote for buses and Metro. The convention voted in favour of the amendment and the amended motion.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0328/greens.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Craig Fay wrote: »
    Ciaran Cuffe said

Ciarán Cuffe , the Beachmaster. :(

800px-MacquarieIslandElephantSeal.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Saw this posted on archiseek.com

Very fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

My thoughts on Metro North are it is a good idea, it will have to be done at some stage.
    A rail link to the airport is essential for the city
    it needs to be linked to other infranstructure
    - DCU
    - Population centres Drumcondra / Ballymun Swords
    - Norther Rail line Donabate/malahide or somewhere similar
    - Luas at stephens green
    - Luas at o'connell st
    - Mater Hospital
    - link to the DART interconnnector when that appears

The DCU and Mater stations will be built into the campus and as an underground floor of the hospital, respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Yixian wrote: »
    The DCU and Mater stations will be built into the campus and as an underground floor of the hospital, respectively.
    The DCU stop is just outside the campus.

My bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

petronius wrote: »
    My thoughts on Metro North are it is a good idea, it will have to be done at some stage.
    A rail link to the airport is essential for the city
    it needs to be linked to other infranstructure
    - DCU
    - Population centres Drumcondra / Ballymun Swords
    - Norther Rail line Donabate/malahide or somewhere similar
    - Luas at stephens green
    - Luas at o'connell st
    - Mater Hospital
    - link to the DART interconnnector when that appears
    It is going to link to all of the things you've mentioned, except your Donabate idea, which is a good one, but was voted down recently by Fingal unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Colmgogan

As I see it the whole Dublin Transport system needs a fundamental overhaul.
    Yes the proposals are a start, i.e. the interconnector tunnel, Metro North Luas lines etc. however there are a number of flaws I see with each proposal. Namely!

1. Metro West should really extend East from the Dardistown stop to interchange with the new Clongriffin or Portmarnock stations to allow Northern line users access the metro west / metro north, this would add considerable patronage to both lines and improve access to the airport.

2. The New bridge across the Liffey to accommodate the metro west should be designed to cater for both metro & vehicles. I can't understand why Fingal / South Dublin coco and the RPA can't get together on this. A new bridge would effectively by-pass Lucan village and connect two parts of the city. Although the government are probably against anything that may reduce revenue on the M50 seeing as how they spend 600M buying it a few years ago. Whose fault is that though?

3. The metro west should be extended from Tallaght east to connect to either the Luas green line or the dart in Bray / Dun Laoghaire

4. The Metro North should be extended south through Rathmines / Terenure area of the city. This part of the city is void of a good reliable public transport mode. When they have the TBM in the ground it should not be stopped! Imagine when they do decide to do this in 5 years time, St Stephens Green will have to be dug up again no doubt! Ridiculous!!!

5. We should be given assurances from IE that trains in the interconector will run without the need for a timetable. i.e. every few minutes, however I don't understand how this can be the case given that train exiting the portal north of the docklands station will have to share track with Drogheda / Dundalk / Belfast trains. Therefore I can't see how trains will be able run in the interconnector every few minutes. Building the interconnector at such a cost and then requiring a degree in timetable reading will not entice Joe public to use it.

6. I still cannot figure out why the Phoenix Park tunnel can not be used to connect Connolly & Heuston stations. New stations could be built serving the Phoenix Park / Cabra / Phibsborough / Fairview. Also a transfer station could be built on Ossory Rd to change between Northern Line and Maynooth Line.

7. IE and Dublin bus need to run trains/ buses on clock-faces i.e. without the need for timetables, where trains run every hour / half hour / 1/4hour as required. This is required on Both proposed DART lines. Not requiring timetables will make public transport a more desirable transport choice for all, in the same way that the Luas is run. Stations on IE's network need to come up to similar standards as Luas stations, with adequate customer information / signage etc. I simply don't trust IE to perform this most basic task.

8. Commuter trains need to be electrified as soon as possible.

9. The Lucan Luas line should not terminate in College Green, but continue that tiny bit extra to Pearse St station. IE are anticipating that this will become a major hub, therefore not having it connect with the Luas network is an extreme oversight.

10. The BDX line to joint the green and red Luas lines is a great idea, however I think they have missed an opportunity to provide a station close to Tara St station. The line will travel south along Marlborough St across the Liffey and into Hawkin st. Why not put a stop on Hawkin st so patrons can interchange between Luas and Tara St station. Otherwise the walk to Tara st from the proposed stops on Marlborough st or Trinity becomes quite long, particularly in winter weather.

Without doing these few minor things you may as well not even try! These few items are crucial in developing an integrated public transport system that can be used.
    The customer should always come first, something IE really need to learn! Perhaps one integrated transport body for Dublin might finally knock them off their perch.
    These are but a few of my observations, I wont even get into integrated ticketing and Dublin Bus Routes as I might not be able to stop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Colmgogan wrote: »
    As I see it the whole Dublin Transport system needs a fundamental overhaul.
    Yes the proposals are a start, i.e. the interconnector tunnel, Metro North Luas lines etc. however there are a number of flaws I see with each proposal. Namely! [...]
    I cannot agree with you more. I think it is ridiculous that the lines were not made originally to interconnect with eachother and other services. All rail should have a connection point so that you can take the Luas to the Metro to the Dart and not have to walk to or take a bus.
    The Phoenix Park tunnel is a waste at the moment and using that line for Luas or Metro would be a boom to the city and to Phibsboro/Cabra!
    Literally EVERY one of these points is spot on. Plus one more... INTEGRATED TICKETING!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

I think the North Koreans are better architects at metro stations and many of the eastern bloc countries. Ireland needs to lift it's game. Many of the new roads and pedestrian bridges in this country are more attractive than any of the metro stations proposed. It says a lot...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/2461290158/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfi/273474230/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47550992@N08/4364568251/?likes_hd=1

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

leshamry wrote: »
    I think the North Koreans are better architects at metro stations and many of the eastern bloc countries. Ireland needs to lift it's game. Many of the new roads and pedestrian bridges in this country are more attractive than any of the metro stations proposed. It says a lot...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytripsmypics/2461290158/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfi/273474230/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/47550992@N08/4364568251/?likes_hd=1

Don't want to drag this off topic, but if i remember correctly, I saw a documentary online about North Korea recently, and the makers said that although Pyongyang has got a Metro, there is only 3 stations that people from outside the country are allowed to see. These three are big open and spacious. The other 12 or 14 stops are small pokey things.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

6. I still cannot figure out why the Phoenix Park tunnel can not be used to connect Connolly & Heuston stations. New stations could be built serving the Phoenix Park / Cabra / Phibsborough / Fairview. Also a transfer station could be built on Ossory Rd to change between Northern Line and Maynooth Line.

I believe Connolly and the loop line bridge between Connolly and Tara St. are the bottlenecks that makes this unworkable. They just can't take any more trains in the peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 leshamry

dannym08 wrote: »
    there is only 3 stations that people from outside the country are allowed to see

There are 3 colors in the Irish flag;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Came across this :rolleyes:

newdublin_metro2.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Loving N.Korea's metro station names:

"Fields Billowing with Golden Ears of Crops"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

oddiot wrote: »
    I believe Connolly and the loop line bridge between Connolly and Tara St. are the bottlenecks that makes this unworkable. They just can't take any more trains in the peak.

It's not just that - the loop line could be resignalled to take a lot more trains then it does.

Problems with using the Phoenix park tunnel over the Interconnector:
    There would be a big imbalance of trains between North and South. Going south, everything would head to Bray, with room for a few trains per hour to turn back at Grand Canal Dock. But trains heading north would have to serve Hazelhatch, Maynooth, Pace park and ride, Malahide, Drogheda, and Howth. That's 5 northern termini to one southern one - it would be very hard to provide an efficient services to places north of Connolly with trains only coming from the south part of the current Dart line. Trains can terminate at Pearse and Dun Laoghaire, but they need to cross trains going the other way to do it, which reduces capacity.

The Phoenix park tunnel does not solve the current problem of trains from different places blocking each other. It is hard to increase the number of trains on the Maynooth line without affecting the DART, since they both need to get to the same platforms in Connolly. The Interconnector would solve this.

The phoenix park tunnel is very indirect - it is only 3km from Heuston to Connolly along the road, but the Phoenix Park tunnel route is almost 7km, along winding track, which means quite long journey times from Heuston to Connolly.

The Phoenix park tunnel does not serve the city centre.

Advantages of the Interconnector
    -Serves the south city centre, and central office area, which is very busy, and does not have great rail based transport now.

-Enables a proper flow of DART traffic. Two North-South lines criss-crossing the city means a better balance of DART traffic, and more efficient services.

-Links up all forms of public transport in Dublin. The Bus, the Luas, the DART,a nd the planned metro would have far, far better connections with the Interconnector.

-Provides plenty of capacity for the future. With two high-capacity lines running through the city centre, it means that it would be possible to extend the DART to new parts of the city without much trouble (i.e. digging up central Dublin) long into the future.

I do agree though, that the Loop line is terribly underused - it should be used to send commuter trains currently terminating in Heuston to the Docklands. It would require some track changes, but would be a big improvement on what happens now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Colmgogan

oddiot wrote: »

I'm sorry I might have been slightly misunderstood here.
    What I was trying to say was that trains coming from Heuston through the Phoenix park tunnel towards Connolly could stop at a new stop at Ossory Rd beneath the Northern Line where the two lines are grade separated. A pedestrian link between this stop, Fairview and Connolly stations could be made in a similar style to London where there is a certain amount of walking between stations required. This is a distance of only 400 meters. The Train would then go on to terminate in the Docklands Station (some minor track alteration would be required)
    This would prevent congestion between the two lines and avoid the need for the loop line bridge to be used by Heuston trains. It would also create a chance to open new stations in Phoenix PArk, Cabra, Phibsborogh etc. I agree it is not the final answer but it could be done as a stop gap measure, by the looks of it were not getting the interconnector until 2018 which is absurd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Is the line you are talking about coming from the Phoenix Park Tunnel part of the track that runs along Whitworth Road and past Croke Park? I have walked past this line almost every day for close to 5 years now and never seen a train on it. I always wondered where it goes and why its not used, anybody able to help me here? If it is not part of the line discussed above why is it there are no suggestions to make better use of it some how?

I remember reading something about it before where the author suggested the best route for the metro would be to follow its route for a while. Although I think that was just be bit of Bertie bashing more so than a realistic suggestion. Something along the lines of Bertie just wants to make sure there will be a metro stop outside of St. Lukes and Fagans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

1. Metro West should really extend East from the Dardistown stop to interchange with the new Clongriffin or Portmarnock stations to allow Northern line users access the metro west / metro north, this would add considerable patronage to both lines and improve access to the airport.
    Maybe. Would have to get tram across motorway and acquire land. They couldn't get the bus to make a profit along this route.
    2. The New bridge across the Liffey to accommodate the metro west should be designed to cater for both metro & vehicles.
    Road competes with rail. More road means more competition for public transport. Part of getting people to use public transport is ensuring that using a car is as crap as possible.
    3. The metro west should be extended from Tallaght east to connect to either the Luas green line or the dart in Bray / Dun Laoghaire
    One way to kill a project is to support it so much that you advocate a much more ambitious and expensive version. A version so large that it is never built. Metro West is very shaky right now and nobody expects it to be built this side of 2040
    4. The Metro North should be extended south through Rathmines / Terenure area of the city. This part of the city is void of a good reliable public transport mode. When they have the TBM in the ground it should not be stopped! Imagine when they do decide to do this in 5 years time, St Stephens Green will have to be dug up again no doubt! Ridiculous!!!
    agree but see previous answer.
    5. We should be given assurances from IE that trains in the interconector will run without the need for a timetable. i.e. every few minutes, however I don't understand how this can be the case given that train exiting the portal north of the docklands station will have to share track with Drogheda / Dundalk / Belfast trains. Therefore I can't see how trains will be able run in the interconnector every few minutes. Building the interconnector at such a cost and then requiring a degree in timetable reading will not entice Joe public to use it.
    what is your answer to this? quad-track the northern line?
    it's a roundabout route. adds to bottleneck problem at connolly. Cabra/phibsoboro would be better served by luas bxd. Fairview is already served by the DART and buses. Not enough people want to get between these suburbs to justify stations.
    7. IE and Dublin bus need to run trains/ buses on clock-faces i.e. without the need for timetables, where trains run every hour / half hour / 1/4hour as required. This is required on Both proposed DART lines. Not requiring timetables will make public transport a more desirable transport choice for all, in the same way that the Luas is run. Stations on IE's network need to come up to similar standards as Luas stations, with adequate customer information / signage etc. I simply don't trust IE to perform this most basic task.
    I agree about clockface. IE's work should be contracted out like the luas.
    8. Commuter trains need to be electrified as soon as possible.
    It's being done.
    9. The Lucan Luas line should not terminate in College Green, but continue that tiny bit extra to Pearse St station. IE are anticipating that this will become a major hub, therefore not having it connect with the Luas network is an extreme oversight.
    I doubt it will be built. Looks to slow to be worth it. Lucan already has two railway lines but the planners & politicians allowed the town to develop away from the rails. Too late to fix that now.
    10. The BDX line to joint the green and red Luas lines is a great idea, however I think they have missed an opportunity to provide a station close to Tara St station. The line will travel south along Marlborough St across the Liffey and into Hawkin st. Why not put a stop on Hawkin st so patrons can interchange between Luas and Tara St station. Otherwise the walk to Tara st from the proposed stops on Marlborough st or Trinity becomes quite long, particularly in winter weather.
    Maybe, but you can't have stops at both as they are too close together.
    ... The customer should always come first, something IE really need to learn! Perhaps one integrated transport body for Dublin might finally knock them off their perch.
    IE of course don't do the Luas. Write to the RPA if you care, as it will probably be too late during the consultation period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Is the line you are talking about coming from the Phoenix Park Tunnel part of the track that runs along Whitworth Road and past Croke Park? I have walked past this line almost every day for close to 5 years now and never seen a train on it. I always wondered where it goes and why its not used, anybody able to help me here? If it is not part of the line discussed above why is it there are no suggestions to make better use of it some how?

My Northside Geography isn't great but the line that runs along Croke park (by the canal) is the same line that goes to Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

paulm17781 wrote: »
    My Northside Geography isn't great but the line that runs along Croke park (by the canal) is the same line that goes to Phoenix park.

No, it's not quite.

There are two lines that run by Croke Park, one south, and one north of the stadium. The Phoenix Park tunnel line runs by hill 16, through Drumcondra, and the Sligo line runs along the canal.

Both lines run to Connolly, and the canal line also runs to Docklands station.

However, it get complicated - the Phoenix park line and the Sligo line meet at Glasnevin, and trains from Sligo can move onto the Phoenix park line to Connolly, but trains from Heuston cannot access the Sligo line to Connolly.

Currently, all Maynooth, Longford and Sligo trains move onto the Phoenix park line to get into Connolly, because it has a better junction to get to all the platforms. If they stay on the Sligo line, they can only get to one of the 3 through platforms at Connolly, and they have to climb a steep slope to get there.

At the moment, the only trains using the line along the canal are trains going to Docklands station from Clonsilla. I believe the plan is that these trains will be extended out the Navan line as it's extended, so Dunboyne trains will use Docklands station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dynamick wrote: »
    it's a roundabout route. adds to bottleneck problem at connolly. Cabra/phibsoboro would be better served by luas bxd. Fairview is already served by the DART and buses. Not enough people want to get between these suburbs to justify stations.

I'd appreciate a source for your point about not enough people wanting to get between "these" suburbs. I was at many public meetings in the area over the years where people were agast at its lack of use.

The PPT is not a replacement for the interconnector. That we can all agree on. However the reason that people keep bringing it up is because the route travels through is densely populated and the line has not been factored into any rail development plans. If by magic the interconnector and associated improvements were to appear tomorrow, IE still have no interest in bringing this line into play. Capacity in Connolly wouldn't be a problem post interconnector. Furthermore it would provide an instant connection with MN in Drumcondra.Yet the developmental potential for this route is continually ignored. Its only current passenger use is for enthusiast and sports specials. That is simply not good enough. Its almost as if IE use it to suit themselves and not their customers.

There have been numerous requests and votes at public meetings in Kildare with IE management, clearly demonstrating the demand for a PPT connection to Docklands and a Sunday service to Connolly. (when slots are available) But still nothing is done. The excuses are hilarious. One of which claims that people would get "confused".:eek: The following satelite image shows you how close Docklands is to making a simple connection to the PPT route.

PPT.jpg

The connection was never made, despite public claims by IE that it would. Again the excuses are hilarious. It would also provide a far better connection with MN (if ever built) in Drumcondra. Post interconnector the Dublin northside commute for outer suburban would be into Heuston, onto the interconnector to the green, change to MN and out you go. So when I hear talk of "roundabout route" in realtion to the PPT, I want to laugh. The actual commute to the Aiport (for example) from outer suburban (southern & western line) should be straight to Drumcondra, change to MN and off you go.

Going even further into the post interconnector world, the current plan to reopen the line from Pace to Navan is a grandiose waste of money so far and always was. Why? Because with the interconnector in place, slots are again freed up to accomodate Navan trains via Drogheda using existing infrastructure at a fraction of the cost. The line to Pace is a waste of money and was lead by developer greed. Plain and simple. I believe it will be the WRC of the east. Coonections with MN would be better as well.

The planning of rail transport in the GDA is a disaster. One that is disjointed, badly managed and costing an unecessary fortune, while other parts of the network are struggling to get funds for wheelchair accessible stations. Its mind boggling and disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I'd appreciate a source for your point about not enough people wanting to get between "these" suburbs. I was at many public meetings in the area over the years where people were agast at its lack of use.
    DTO demand modelling showed it had very low demand compared to other routes. See full PfC for details. (I presume you have it and not just the summary on the internet). Maybe the NTA will update these models with the last decade's changes.
    ...because the route travels through is densely populated
    Not from the Park up to Liffey junction.
    There have been numerous requests and votes at public meetings in Kildare with IE management, clearly demonstrating the demand for a PPT connection to Docklands and a Sunday service to Connolly.
    This sounds like wrc-style advocacy to me. The locals demand it. I grew up on Blackhorse Ave. There was a tunnel under the road where you could see the PPT track heading north south. This was regarded by the locals as proof that IE were total gobdaws/bastards. But now I realise that this route would not bring me to the places I needed to get to: into town, into work, into college, into the shops.
    Post interconnector the Dublin northside commute for outer suburban would be into Heuston, onto the interconnector to the green, change to MN and out you go.
    Everyone out to Hazelhatch is a direct trip to SSG/change for MN. You have to draw a line somewhere. Dublin can't design itself around the needs of people who live in outer Wicklow/Wexford/Kildare/Meath/Louth. I do feel some sympathy for Dublin workers who yoked themselves to a mortgage in the sticks and now can't move back in. Bubble casualties.
    the current plan to reopen the line from Pace to Navan is a grandiose waste of money so far and always was. Why? Because with the interconnector in place, slots are again freed up to accomodate Navan trains via Drogheda using existing infrastructure at a fraction of the cost. The line to Pace is a waste of money and was lead by developer greed. Plain and simple. I believe it will be the WRC of the east. Connections with MN would be better as well.
    why would anyone use this line when there is a shiny new motorway for them? I can't see Navan rail getting enough passengers. I can't see it being built after Dempsey leaves office and is replaced with a gobdaw from another area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

dynamick wrote: »
    why would anyone use this line when there is a shiny new motorway for them? I can't see Navan rail getting enough passengers. I can't see it being built after Dempsey leaves office and is replaced with a gobdaw from another area.

The only saving grace for the Navan rail line, if built, is the outragous cost of using the M3. A round trip on the M8 (Dublin to Cork), a distance of 500km, will only cost €7.40. A round trip on the soon to be opened M3, a distance of less than 100km of motorway, will cost €11.20! The cost of using the M3 will force people off it and all taxpayers will pay for it because the State will have to pay the toll operators, Eurolink, compensation if traffic flows (predicted at up to 60,000 drivers per day) fail to meet the agreed minimum target. The other options then for getting to Dublin are the old N3 or the train. Although I think the line to Navan will have to be finished regardless of who replaces Dempsey because the extension as far as Pace is no good without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Capacity in Connolly wouldn't be a problem post interconnector.

Yes it will.As soon as Northern Line DART services are removed from Connolly the Maynooth Line DART services will commence.
    Furthermore it would provide an instant connection with MN in Drumcondra.

There will be a DART connection to MN in Drumcondra anyway.
    There have been numerous requests and votes at public meetings in Kildare with IE management, clearly demonstrating the demand for a PPT connection to Docklands

Same was true about the WRC.Let's see how that turns out:rolleyes:
    and a Sunday service to Connolly. (when slots are available)

And demand is low.
    the following satelite image shows you how close Docklands is to making a simple connection to the PPT route.

PPT.jpg

A sharp(ish) turn over a short distance over 4 lines.Hardly simple-or feasible.
    It would also provide a far better connection with MN (if ever built) in Drumcondra.

There will be a good connection in drumcondra anyway.
    Post interconnector the Dublin northside commute for outer suburban would be into Heuston, onto the interconnector to the green, change to MN and out you go. So when I hear talk of "roundabout route" in realtion to the PPT, I want to laugh. The actual commute to the Aiport (for example) from outer suburban (southern & western line) should be straight to Drumcondra, change to MN and off you go.

I don't get this part.If you mean the Northern or South Western Line you change at SSG, if you mean the North-Western or Southern Line you change at drumcondra.Simple as.
    Going even further into the post interconnector world, the current plan to reopen the line from Pace to Navan is a grandiose waste of money so far and always was. Why?

Because Navan is one of dublins biggest commuter towns.Everyday the N3 is choked with people from Navan(and elsewhere) going to work.Pace will allow people coming from further afield to change to rail with the P&R there.
    Because with the interconnector in place, slots are again freed up to accomodate Navan trains via Drogheda using existing infrastructure at a fraction of the cost.

The journey times would be huge.The infrastructure there is only single track and not in great order.It would have to be upgraded to electrified double track.The existing line cannot support speeds more than 20 or 30 kmh either.
    The line to Pace is a waste of money and was lead by developer greed. Plain and simple. I believe it will be the WRC of the east. Coonections with MN would be better as well.

I agree about the greed part, but unfortunately the houses were built and people bought them.Now they need a quick, accessible way to get to city and environs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The only saving grace for the Navan rail line, if built, is the outragous cost of using the M3. A round trip on the M8 (Dublin to Cork), a distance of 500km, will only cost €7.40. A round trip on the soon to be opened M3, a distance of less than 100km of motorway, will cost €11.20!
    No, it won't.

€1.40 per toll x 2 tolls x 2 trips = €5.60

Navan commuters will pay one toll, making a round trip €2.80.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement