Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AirFrance to 'suggest' obese buy a second seat

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I admit there was no fact the back up. Double seat for Gerry Ryan then? He has some cheek to be hosting show operation transformation, the state of him,

He'd also have to book extra overhead storage space for some of his chins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

AirFrance to 'suggest' obese buy a second seat

Seems logical in fairness. They do take up more space and having bigger seat would mean less seats and less money for the airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

If all passengers were disabled on one flight then an airline could technically be sued for not providing enough facilities to cater for such an event. Think the same thing applies for obese people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Manager: I'm terribly sorry, sir, but I'm afraid our facilities are not equipped to meet your needs.
    Homer Simpson: What are you talking about?
    Manager: What I'm saying, sir, is that a man of your carriage couldn't possibly fit in our seats.
    Homer Simpson: I can sit in the aisle.
    Manager: I'm afraid that would violate the fire code.
    Bystander: Hey, Fatty! I've got a movie for ya: A Fridge Too Far!
    [the rapidly-assembling crowd laughs]
    Homer Simpson: Shame on all of you. Give me my dignity! I just came here to see Honk If You're Horny in peace.
    Manager: Sir, if you'd just quiet down, I'd be happy to treat you to a garbage bag full of popcorn.
    Homer Simpson: This may surprise you, but you can't buy me off with food. I'm sick of all your stereotypes and cheap jokes! The overweight individuals in this country are just as smart and talented and hard working as everybody else. And they're going to make their voices heard! All they need is a leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If all passengers were disabled on one flight then an airline could technically be sued for not providing enough facilities to cater for such an event. Think the same thing applies for obese people.

That brings into the equation the question of, 'are fat people disabled?'

Obese people are "functionally disabled", according to a ruling by the Supreme Court of Canada.

In 2008, several Canadian airlines were appealing against a decision that allowed obese people two seats on a flight for the price of one. The Supreme Court chucked out the appeal, meaning that obese people continue to get two seats for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think so. Most people with disabilities need little specific provision above the ordinary. I imagine reasonable provision is adequate, e.g. some airlines are happy with up to 4 blind people and / or 4 people with wheelchairs and / or 1 person in need of oxygen. Going beyond that is both statistically improbable and an safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Fatties shouldn't be allowed to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

smccarrick wrote: »
    Depends on what their loading ratio is- Ryanair operate on 110%-120% loading- others are a bit fairer- but there is an assumption that a number of passengers with tickets are not going to turn up....... Just cause they sell you a ticket- doesn't mean you've got a seat- and if you haven't got a seat but you have a ticket- you're entitled to a refund. Seems fair to me.......

Ryanair officially don't overbook flights, where did you get the 110-120% from?

(and it's intents and purposes, intensive purposes is ridiculous, and makes you look like you don't know what you're typing! =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

If your luggage is over weight you have to pay through the nose. Whats different here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Hahaha excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

iregk wrote: »
    If your luggage is over weight you have to pay through the nose. Whats different here?

Perhaps they could have a BMI cutoff- say 26 or 27- this would mean tall people wouldn't be unfairly discriminated against- and overweight or obese people would either pay- or else it would be one hell of a good incentive to eat healthily and exercise more frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

I'm a frequent flyer, and lardarses piss me off no end. If you end up next to one, you have an uncomfortable flight the whole way, they invade the space I've paid for in my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Fat people should'nt be aloud travel by aircraft. They should walk/swim/jog to their destination instead.

Pro's: Fatties lose weight, regular sized people remain comfortable
    Con's: None

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Morlar wrote: »
    I know this isn't liveline or ranting and raving but it's equally annoying when parents have kids that are pepped up on sugar and hyper for the whole flight. I think kids/families should all be seated together in one big block either at the front or back of the plane. Let everyone else sit in relative peace.
    I would love for a family section on a plane where I don't have to worry about my little ones disturbing other passengers. Its very hard to get them to sleep on a long haul flight and then they get all cranky. A small section where it doesn't matter if they scream to their hearts content, or if they walk around a little would be ideal. Of course unless you are on an A380 thats not an easy thing to put into a plane.

Advertisement