Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birth Mother Dead-What now?

• 29-05-2013 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have recently gone looking for my medical history as I need it to do with ongoing issues and found out that my birth mother is dead and my birth father is not named. I'm wondering does anyone know do I have any right to her medical history from the hospital where she passed away or has anyone been through anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Hi Julie,
    Hubby's birth brother came looking for him last year. The way the letter was worded that he 1st got from the hse he thought that it was his bm looking for info about him but when he met with the social worker it was his youngest sibling that was looking for info and the sw told him that his birth mother had passed away 3 years ago. She was able to tell him what she died of but I am nearly sure that if you have birth mothers name and date of birth you could get her death cert in the gro in dublin...hope this is in some way helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Julie_S

Hi mamafi,
    Thanks for your reply. I got the news 2 weeks that she was dead from my sw. I had only requested my medical info 6 weeks earlier. Sw gave me my full birth name, hospital where I was born, mother's full name, address, date of birth and I got her death notice myself from the Examiner Office. Sw told me I can go into the Births, Marriages and Deaths Office here in Cork and give my birth name and her name and ask for my birth cert and her death cert but is unable to tell me if they will ask me for ID in which case I dont have any in my birth name. She has also given me a contact name of someone in the Records Dept in CUH where she passed away to contact in relation to getting any medical information the hospital hold on her. I'm not sure if I am legally entitled to this though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Any chance the SW would give you a covering letter in an effort to overcome any problems you may have getting the records?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Julie_S wrote: »
    Hi mamafi,
    Thanks for your reply. I got the news 2 weeks that she was dead from my sw. I had only requested my medical info 6 weeks earlier. Sw gave me my full birth name, hospital where I was born, mother's full name, address, date of birth and I got her death notice myself from the Examiner Office. Sw told me I can go into the Births, Marriages and Deaths Office here in Cork and give my birth name and her name and ask for my birth cert and her death cert but is unable to tell me if they will ask me for ID in which case I dont have any in my birth name. She has also given me a contact name of someone in the Records Dept in CUH where she passed away to contact in relation to getting any medical information the hospital hold on her. I'm not sure if I am legally entitled to this though

Hi Julie. I do a lot of genealogical research (both my own family and as a professional) and have never had any problem getting copies of BDM certs in Cork for a variety of people - including some who have no relationship to me. You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever.

Any chance the SW would give you a covering letter in an effort to overcome any problems you may have getting the records?

I have the information that they gave me on HSE headed paper. My SW is on hols now until the week after next so I might try it with that and hope for the best

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hi Julie. I do a lot of genealogical research (both my own family and as a professional) and have never had any problem getting copies of BDM certs in Cork for a variety of people - including some who have no relationship to me. You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever.

Thanks a million that's great to know. I shouldn't have any problems so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Hi Julie,
    If you have your birth name and date of birth you should be able to get your original birth cert as we did for hubby and you could also get your mams as you have all the info you need. you can order them online now too I heard even though we didn't get one that way.:)

mamafi wrote: »
    Hi Julie,
    If you have your birth name and date of birth you should be able to get your original birth cert as we did for hubby and you could also get your mams as you have all the info you need. you can order them online now too I heard even though we didn't get one that way.:)

Thanks so much mamafi :)

Advertisement