Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs that don't involve the public?

• 12-08-2008 9:24pm

Hi, I'm just looking for some ideas here. I'm out of work at the moment and have been trying to see where to go from here. I left an IT related job for several reasons (not all work related mind you) but one of the big ones was that I take criticism very harshly. My main area of criticism was with my dealings with the public. Some saw me as shy, withdrawn or disinterested and I did hear about it from management at times. I know I've mentioned this on other fora but I'm mildly autistic so dealing with the public was never going to be a walk in the park for me.

So my question is, what sort of work out there doesn't involve interaction with the general public? I think I'd find such work much more bearable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Karsini wrote: »
    what sort of work out there doesn't involve interaction with the general public?
    You'd need to narrow it down a bit or you'll be getting answers like lighthousekeeper, astronaut etc. ;)

You'd need to narrow it down a bit or you'll be getting answers like lighthousekeeper, astronaut etc. ;)

lol, well I'm not really sure myself, hence why I asked! :)

While i'm ok-ish at dealing with the public I feel really uncomfortable with it, so even if I am getting better it doesn't feel that way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

I share your dread. Look for a back office job somewhere. You wont have to deal with the public there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Surely IT is perfect if you don't like the public?

I work in an IT company and quite a lot of my colleagues don't like humans...

Surely there is an IT area which would suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When you say, "dealing with the public", do you mean that you don't enjoy dealing with random questions from the general public/customers, or do you have problems in general having to deal with people, even if it's people internally in a company?

The former is easy enough to avoid - get a job working internally in some company.

The latter is harder to avoid - most jobs require you to interact with other departments/other people.

• Advertisement

Not really with people in general, over time I can get to know the people I'm working with. My issue is with customers, serving them, phoning them, that sort of thing. I'm just not good with anyone I don't know. My last job, while it was a technical role, also required me to serve customers when the others were busy, I hated that part of it.

I have a couple of goals and ambitions but they're out of my reach at the moment so I need something to get me by until my goals are within my reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Street cleaner... you are surrounded by the public but they ignore your existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Karsini wrote: »
    Not really with people in general, over time I can get to know the people I'm working with. My issue is with customers, serving them, phoning them, that sort of thing. I'm just not good with anyone I don't know. My last job, while it was a technical role, also required me to serve customers when the others were busy, I hated that part of it.

I have a couple of goals and ambitions but they're out of my reach at the moment so I need something to get me by until my goals are within my reach.
    What I meant was, would you have a problem doing an internal role in a medium-large company, where your "customers" are other employees of the company (not just other people in your department)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭MrVestek

AARRRGH wrote: »

Surely there is an IT area which would suit you?

Erm... unless you're working in a very dark server room that barely needs any maintanence you'll be working with people at some point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Achilles wrote: »
    Erm... unless you're working in a very dark server room that barely needs any maintanence you'll be working with people at some point...

Yeah but you don't really do much talking and it's acceptable for IT people to be a bit weird/have no social skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Achilles wrote: »
    Reminds me of this for some reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

PC repair tech (inhouse). You usually do not have to deal with the customers, you just get a PC from the front desk, fix it, drop it to desk and the person on the front desk deals with the customer and takes their money :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

AARRRGH wrote: »

Was just about to say "same here" before I realised it was your good self!

Saruman wrote: »
    PC repair tech (inhouse). You usually do not have to deal with the customers, you just get a PC from the front desk, fix it, drop it to desk and the person on the front desk deals with the customer and takes their money :D

Not in my last job! Had to take it in from the front desk, analyse the problem, call back the customer, fix it, call them back again, then when they arrived I had to bring it out to them, take the money, print out a fault report and receipt.

Advertisement