Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Your Gear (DISCUSSION ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Joe Robot wrote: »
    .. I used a hammer and chisel on a strat once to make room for a humbucker..... :o

I can't ****in' believe it! You put a bucker in a strat?!?!?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Yep. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I shielded one of my basses at the weekend. Very easy to do, I bought some copper shielding tape from Stewmac. Its awesome now, no noise at all. :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Tzetze wrote: »
    My baby...
    a6c5066a64.jpg
    thats a fame bass yea? whats it play/sound like? any recordings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Patricide wrote: »
    thats a fame bass yea? whats it play/sound like? any recordings?

It is a Fame Baphomet IV neck-thru, yep. Well spotted, most ask if it's a Warwick first. ;)

I've had it 5 years now, and I'm very happy with it. The action is very smooth. I like how the non-lacquered finish feels while playing (may not be to everyone's taste though). The hardware on it is comparable to other more expensive basses and gives a great range of tones. I'm not sure just how strong the attack can be as I've never used a pick on it, but it can go from a growl through to bright tones very well.

I don't have any decent recordings, don't really have the equipment for that at the moment, but I just threw this quick 'n nasty mp3 together.

Excuse the inarticulacy, poor phrasing, finger scratch, screwy timing and general poor quality! :P

jesus yet another fame, now i demand moar sound clips mr royale with cheese(please :) ), i was thinking of purchasing one as a backup bass for me warwick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I can't see Mr. With Cheese's pic for some reason :/

I demand sound clip of the warwick Patricide. I'm thinking of getting one as a... frontup to the fame! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

To be honest I'm not overly impressed with it. Still getting some fretbuzz off it after dropping it in to Waltons for a set up. Actually I don't really think they did anything apart from raising the strings at the bridge a tiny bit more than I'd already done. They only charged me €15 for it in the end.

Well there's your first mistake right there.. I've never heard of anyone having a good setup in Waltons.

i will do, prob tomorro afternoon man!! hey, you showed me yours, ill show you mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

fish-head wrote: »
    Well there's your first mistake right there.. I've never heard of anyone having a good setup in Waltons.

Can you recommend a good place for a setup then? I'm probably being a little harsh on the Fame. I played the Rockbass for the first time in a good while last night after putting new strings on it and the Fame is alot nicer. Just need to sort the action out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

Doctor J wrote: »

Presenting the Bacchuseseseses :)
    (going all the way back to DoctorJ's first post..)

Bejaysus
    Those Bacchus basses are beautiful, I believe I'm finally being bitten by the bacchus bug.

I like words that start with B.

• Advertisement

Can you recommend a good place for a setup then? I'm probably being a little harsh on the Fame. I played the Rockbass for the first time in a good while last night after putting new strings on it and the Fame is alot nicer. Just need to sort the action out on it.

Derrick Nelson out in Marley Park. He does some awesome setups. :)
    His number is in the resources sticky at the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I can't ****in' believe it! You put a bucker in a strat?!?!?:eek:

went to a gig a while a go.think it was old-time band Krokus.anyways their lead guitarist had 2 buckers in a strat.was the sexiest thing i've ever seen or heard.first time id ever seen anyone make shredding sound good on a strat.

anyways im stuck in work at the mo but will post photos when i get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Derrick Nelson out in Marley Park. He does some awesome setups. :)
    His number is in the resources sticky at the top of this forum.

He's good if you can afford it and can afford to be bassless for a good while. Musician Inc work with a lad out by the Canal who does a decent setup for cheaper and quicker. I'm sure it's not as good as Nelson, I've not been able to bring my guitars to him yet, but it'll do the job for that Fame.

Just bring it into Musician and say it's for Eugene. Here's his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

kev_s88 wrote: »
    went to a gig a while a go.think it was old-time band Krokus.anyways their lead guitarist had 2 buckers in a strat.was the sexiest thing i've ever seen or heard.first time id ever seen anyone make shredding sound good on a strat.

anyways im stuck in work at the mo but will post photos when i get home

I was only kiddin' Kev!
    AFAIK Eric "the Rocker!" Bell used to have a two bucker strat in the early 70s (and still plays it) and Fender make one these days called the Big Apple Strat.
    It's still blasphemy though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet (posting from work), but there's one in the middle called a "Fat Strat", usually with the neck and middle PU single-coil, and a bucker at the bridge. Seems to be fairly popular these days.

http://cybermusicalinstruments.com/images/products/standardHSS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

...a gratuitous and pointless pic thread. Show yer axes, gentlemen! :D

Presenting the Bacchuseseseses :)

bkkus.jpg

where did you get the Bacchus strat 24 fret or did you alter it.ive been looking for one like that but i cant find any 24 frets around

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ah so my Yamaha is a "fat strat" copy. Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

kev_s88 wrote: »
    where did you get the Bacchus strat 24 fret or did you alter it.ive been looking for one like that but i cant find any 24 frets around

I think he got it from Ishibashi, but it doesn't matter because I'm going to kill him and take possession of that incredibly sexy bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yep, it was Ishibashi. It had been sitting there for a while with no pic, so thankfully when I finally got the funds together it was still there. They only made that model for a few months in 2004 and aren't doing anything like it next year, unfortunately. So should another one come up, sir, I will be trying to get it too :)

fuse wrote: »
    (going all the way back to DoctorJ's first post..)

Bejaysus
    Those Bacchus basses are beautiful, I believe I'm finally being bitten by the bacchus bug.

I like words that start with B.

Sorry, just saw this one...

Yeah, the first one I got was on looks alone, but I am smitten. Should have #4 in the next few days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Sorry, just saw this one...

Yeah, the first one I got was on looks alone, but I am smitten. Should have #4 in the next few days :D

*stifles profanities*

You lucky guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

you know your own rules Doc.

I saw a pic of it already! :D

I dig the MTD, very nice indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Ooooh i cant wait to get down to the studio and line up the boys!! mid week will bring my collection
    Mordern > Vintage

:D

Have we forgotten to take our crazy pills again?

Rustar wrote: »
    I have a cunning plan.

modern < what you like > vintage. :D

haha, touche! Lets shake that up a bit tho, vintage <what you like> modern! :D

Patricide wrote: »
    7 strings > 6 strings , i dont care how you put it! Cant think of one advantage of having 6 strings over 7 myself.

too many cooks spoil the broth / too much going on or something along those lines! I do admire someone who can play 7 strings, but i dont ever wish to play it myself
    Ancient1 wrote: »
    I've never in my life even seen a 7-string in person (except at gigs obviously), let alone touched or played one. :p

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

red_ice wrote: »
    Ooooh i cant wait to get down to the studio and line up the boys!! mid week will bring my collection

Get down to the studio and line up the boys? That sounds very creepy, to be honest. :p
    Have we forgotten to take our crazy pills again?

Nope, just being a cheeky ****-stirrer. ;)
    too many cooks spoil the broth / too much going on or something along those lines! I do admire someone who can play 7 strings, but i dont ever wish to play it myself

You can have too much going on without 7 strings, you know? :)

As for admiring someone who can play 7? It doesn't take any extra effort to play than a 6 tbh.

Get down to the studio and line up the boys? That sounds very creepy, to be honest. :p

What ever way you wanna take that is more than likely how it is haha

As for admiring someone who can play 7? It doesn't take any extra effort to play than a 6 tbh.

I suppose, but i dont think i can pull off the right stance to play it properly. Feet at 10 to 2, knee's bent, back arched AND an extra string, couldnt pull it off, so i admire someone who can

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You could go for the Korn stance - feet together, leaning over, looking at the fretboard. "Eh, why is there an extra string on my guitar?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What ever way you wanna take that is more than likely how it is haha

:eek:
    I suppose, but i dont think i can pull off the right stance to play it properly. Feet at 10 to 2, knee's bent, back arched AND an extra string, couldnt pull it off, so i admire someone who can

I just don't see it... You could have something as simple as can be played on a 7 string, like Korn, or something technically challenging like Nevermore. There's no difficulty inherent to the instrument itself, just what you play on it.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    You could go for the Korn stance - feet together, leaning over, looking at the fretboard. "Eh, why is there an extra string on my guitar?"

rofl! the "My guitar tech is dead after this gig" look.

Advertisement