Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have you watched recently?

Comments

SarahBM wrote: »
    Armageddon - Pile of Sh1t

Sunshine - one of my fav films. about the millionth time watching it :)

FYP ;)

Stray Dog - atmospheric, technically impressive Kurosawa police thriller. Feels overstretched at times, but the uncomfortable, blistering heatwave it is set in makes for plenty of tense, exciting sequences.

I had done the exact same thing but then figured that I really don't want to get dragged into an argument about how brilliant Sunshine is. I think far too many people are thrown by the final third and just write the whole thing off. I remember the film polarized the users here, those of us who loved it and everyone else who hate it. There was no middle ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its not as bad as people say. Theres much worse out there. Just check your brain out when the movie starts and you'll enjoy it. Its no different from watching some of the other hollywood over-the-top blockbusters.

Tropic Thunder
    I personally think its not as good as people say. Thats not to say its complete garbage. It has its funny moments. But theres also moments that made me feel it was indeed crap. I'd describe it as being "alight" .. But thats only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Life's too short!
    Well, next time 2012 is on TV, record it, then play it back at high speed. You can enjoy the whole 150 minute experience in 15 minutes, and (as a bonus) avoid all the dialogue in the process. :cool:

Last night I watched Electra Glide In Blue, starring Robert Blake, which was on TV a couple of weeks ago. What a curious film - directed by the guy who was managing the band Chicago, and singer Peter Cetera even pops up in the film. It reads as a kind of lopsided response to Easy Rider, in a way: set in amazing "wild west" scenery in Arizona, the story of an oddball highway patrol officer. He's about a foot shorter than his colleagues, and not as cynical about e.g. hippies, even when one is suspected of murdering an old man. He also has a bit of a Napoleon complex, making him more ambitious to move up in the ranks, to Homicide investigation.

The trailer shows the opening scene of our hero getting ready for work, in an almost fetishistic / fascistic detail, but thankfully the rest of the film isn't like that: it's a stark contrast to the wide open spaces in which he rides. Highly recommended if you have the patience for something a bit slower than modern thrillers. It's one of those films in which the landscape is a character deserving of lots of screen time.

There's a longer review here if you like.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,089 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I had done the exact same thing but then figured that I really don't want to get dragged into an argument about how brilliant Sunshine is. I think far too many people are thrown by the final third and just write the whole thing off. I remember the film polarized the users here, those of us who loved it and everyone else who hate it. There was no middle ground

Actually I am that middle ground ;) I can't fault the visual and audio design, but it's said final third and a general whiff of overfamiliarity that kept me from truly engaging with it. Good, although I'd be pushing it at 'great'.

That said, compared to Armageddon it is a cinematic miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

American Psycho - A bloodthirsty investment banker (Christian Bale) finds it increasingly difficult to hide his murderous ways from those around him. Unsure what to make of it all. I've a feeling it will take a second watch to form a better judgement.
    Although false or mistaken identity is a key theme in the movie, how are we expected to believe he got away with all the murders?? All the bodies in Allen's apartment were just cleared so the relater could make a sale??

:D I lean towards the psychosis side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Mother's Day:

Was looking forward to this, as I had seen some pretty mixed reviews and was interested by the premise of the film.

All in all, I found it pretty enjoyable, with a rather unsettling performance from Rebecca De Mornay (in a not too dissimilar role from the one she played in 'The Hand That Rocks The Cradle'), who makes the most of her mother from hell central role.

There are some plot loopholes alright and the ending is just wacky, but still, an enjoyable way to pass 100 minutes if you like the whole home invasion type thriller.

3/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inthefade

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Such an amazing film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Sunshine is great. Even the bit with the crusty zombie guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

another vote for Sunshine here, I love it, its one of the most stunning looking movies of the last decade, especially the climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

krudler wrote: »
    another vote for Sunshine here, I love it, its one of the most stunning looking movies of the last decade, especially the climax.

Definitely. Highly underrated. Whenever I mention it to a group of people someone always says "Thats supposed to be sh*t no?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

inthefade wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Such an amazing film!

I paid to get that movie removed from my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I must watch the blu-ray of this again soon, the soundtrack is fooking amazing too

Children of Men on TV - first time I've seen it. Short review: Holy $#!%. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

If you have ITV4, you can watch it forever. They're always showing it for some reason.

A good watch, but I always find myself waiting for the twenty-minute, one-take battle scene near the end, which is the dog's reproductive organs. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

It was only matter of time before Bollywood get into the found footage genre.

Ragini MMS (2011) Hindi movie, no need for any subs, as most of the times they speak in English!

Two couple who go to farmhouse and most of time think of having Sex, then when get into the mood, there friends come, thing stat to get be scary in the house.

This movie do show the ghost here and there, it is shame cause it take the tension away from the movie, however there some scene which were surprising good and bit jumpy.

Near the end after some descent scene from the movie, it loses tension again , which makes the movie down hill.

This is actually Bollywood version paranormal activity

4 out of 10 I think worth watching for least once!
    (Just for laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I dug out an old film recently that most havent seen but that i would recommend if you like mafia gang style films.

Blood in Blood out, worth a watch

I'm posting here a lot because I'm catching up on films I recorded but couldn't watch due to university work. Today: Brief Encounter, the classic Noel Coward film about unrequited romance. It's one of those films in which not much happens on the surface, but the details betray all the rumblings going on underneath.

The "scandal" looks extremely tame by modern standards, and the characters staid and repressed, but it springs from a very "middle class" post-War view of the world. I agree with the way one biographer put it:
    ... the working classes can act in a vulgar way, and the upper class can be silly; but the middle class is or at least considers itself the moral backbone of society — a notion whose validity Coward did not really want to question or jeopardise, as the middle classes were Coward's principal audience.
    There are funny bits too - such as the horrible cellist following them to the cinema, where there's a trailer for a film called "Flames of Passion" ... followed immediately by an advert for baby carriages. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

There Will Be Blood.

Very good performance from DDL (as always). I didn't know whom I was supposed to be rooting for. I ****ing hated Eli for the whole thing and his annoying face. I was on Daniel Plainview's side for most of it until he left his son on the train. Then I didn't know who's side I was on.

Still a very good film though. I liked it's ending. I love endings where things are open for interpretation.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Senna

Brilliant documentary, have not got much intereset in F1 but found this very good regardless. The rivalry with Prost was pretty compelling stuff. If I could have one criticism of this it was that that I felt it could have delved more into Ayrton Senna the man rather than just telling us about Ayrton Senna the racecar driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

WatchWolf wrote: »
    There Will Be Blood.

Very good performance from DDL (as always). I didn't know whom I was supposed to be rooting for. I ****ing hated Eli for the whole thing and his annoying face. I was on Daniel Plainview's side for most of it until he left his son on the train. Then I didn't know who's side I was on.

Still a very good film though. I liked it's ending. I love endings where things are open for interpretation.

I agree that DDL was great, but as a film I didnt like it at all.

as for who's side I was on, I was on the Son's side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Yeah, I was gonna say if anyone's side then towards the end I was on the side of the son.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I am just watching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on and i actually had to switch channels. Cate Blanchetts accent is doing my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Finally got around to watching "memories of murder" last night. Excellentay!!!
    Still prefer "The Chaser" or "I saw the Devil" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Saw Rambo from 2008 and was pleasantly surprised. The violence was graphic but not overly done. I was all like pffft when the fella wanted to watch it but Sly didn't let me down. Almost shed an auld tear at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Rise of the planet of the apes- Shíte!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Watched Doubt the other night. Good film with excellent performances from the ever reliable pair of Streep and Seymour-Hoffmann. Very interesting approach to a controversial topic. Plus I always enjoy a good old ambiguous ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Watched "Defiance" the other night via sky plus;good movie.Decent performances by the two leads in Liev Schreiber and Daniel Craig and with it being a true story,gave it added gravitas.I 'spose being a history nerd may skew my analysis somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

last night I watched Requiem for a Dream and tonight I've just finished watching We Need to Talk about Kevin....I've been in better moods I must confess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Pirates of the Caribbean 3 - the weird one with Johnny Depp all by his oncey savey in the desert with the funny looking crabs.

rubbish isnt the word. close, but not quiet descriptive enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The French Connection, not as good as I remembered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement