Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Decrease the upload to 6kbps, this is the lowest you can go without utorrent limiting itself. See if theres much difference.

For torrents with that many seeds and linux distros etc you should be flying. As it is, there seems to be something wrong, and that really sucks. If you are getting good attenuation and sync speed then you could figure the throttle aspect, but thats a bit of a hasty conclusion and very unfortunate for us all.

Have you been bold? How many internets did you download before the upgrade? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Decrease the upload to 6kbps, this is the lowest you can go without utorrent limiting itself. See if theres much difference.

For torrents with that many seeds and linux distros etc you should be flying. As it is, there seems to be something wrong, and that really sucks. If you are getting good attenuation and sync speed then you could figure the throttle aspect, but thats a bit of a hasty conclusion and very unfortunate for us all.

Have you been bold? How many internets did you download before the upgrade? :)

ive a fair bit of experience with downloading torrents,having used almost every isp and sometimes downoaded 150-200 gig per month so its not something obvious im missing

actually today speeds have improved but theyre still up and down,not holding rock solid like they used to on the 3 meg connection

today i managed to download a 100mb file at 500-700KBps all the way through so im going to test further tonight and il let u know how i get on

im also trying a differnt client as welll

btw the newest utorrent 1,8 is crap,i had to roll back to version 1.7.7 and its much better

using 1.8 i kept getting ports blocked messages even though they were open

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Tim131

Hey, I signed up to the 24MB package from BT, I'm currently getting 690kb/s max on a files from heanet and torrents, am on their 7.6MB package, until my area gets upgraded to the 24 MB. I'm using my old Eircom router (the silver netopia wireless one) I've a feeling this won't handle 24MB. So could anyone reccomend me a decent router I could buy that would connect straight to the phone line, and not to the BT modem, which could handle these speeds, and is p2p / BitTorrent friendly? :)

• Tim131 wrote: »
    Hey, I signed up to the 24MB package from BT, I'm currently getting 690kb/s max on a files from heanet and torrents, am on their 7.6MB package, until my area gets upgraded to the 24 MB. I'm using my old Eircom router (the silver netopia wireless one) I've a feeling this won't handle 24MB. So could anyone reccomend me a decent router I could buy that would connect straight to the phone line, and not to the BT modem, which could handle these speeds, and is p2p / BitTorrent friendly? :)

Im not convinced the netopia will struggle, if it does it will likely be down to NAT overloading from the volume of simultaneos connections made during torrenting. If it does struggle when you get upgraded, try this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312788 deals with connections very well and also works great in passthrough mode to a wireless router...

Do you mean half open TCP/IP requests? This can be fixed with a simple batch file on Xp. On vista its a bit of a bitch. Default max half open is something shiite like 10 on XP. Mine is set to 100, but the patch is good for 50.

• Advertisement

• Do you mean half open TCP/IP requests? This can be fixed with a simple batch file on Xp. On vista its a bit of a bitch. Default max half open is something shiite like 10 on XP. Mine is set to 100, but the patch is good for 50.

No, i mean the number of TCP/IP connections kept open in the routers ram, this often causes lesser routers to crash either because of the sheer number of connections or the length of time the router tries to keep x number of similtaneous connections open.

Nat table overload: http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80065

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the silver netopia will handle adsl2+ easily
    there is no need to get another one

Thats good to know. Sorry if i seemed patronising or pedantic or whatever you call it in my previous posts Dellat. Hows ur connection/torrents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So I read on another forum than bittorent can damage or kill your hard drive, I would imagine this is true - I have mine running 24/7, the drive activity light flashes all day long, I'm sure this will lessen the life of the drive, I think I might invest in a 160gig disk and use it for downloading then move completed ones to a storage drive

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MooseJam wrote: »
    So I read on another forum than bittorent can damage or kill your hard drive, I would imagine this is true - I have mine running 24/7, the drive activity light flashes all day long, I'm sure this will lessen the life of the drive, I think I might invest in a 160gig disk and use it for downloading then move completed ones to a storage drive

Damage or kill your drive not really, potentially shorten the life of your drive from constant read/write access if the machine is on 24/7 yes, most people don't leave there machines on 24/7 so not really something they have to worry about.

I used to use a 8 year old 20GB WD drive to download to for a long long time, only got rid of it this year when I moved house as no longer needed a pc on 24/7 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Shouldnt be a problem if you allocate a nice big cache size to utorrent.

am using azureus at the moment, it only lets you use a cache of 100meg, I have 6gigs of ram so posted on their forum is their any way to use like a 2 or 3 gig cache.

Whats the story with <SNIP> ? why would I pay for a torrent search, does it provide things you don't get by searching on torrentz.com or the like

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for windows probably no point in using a RAM disk even if you could get a 64 bit driver

there are tweaks for disk cache size which might be a better option

I got a 64bit ramdisk here http://ramdisk.tk/ - I even donated the 12 dollars, don't know what came over me, it was very late though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

am using azureus at the moment, it only lets you use a cache of 100meg, I have 6gigs of ram so posted on their forum is their any way to use like a 2 or 3 gig cache.

Whats the story with <SNIP> ? why would I pay for a torrent search, does it provide things you don't get by searching on <SNIP> or the like

I've removed the site in question, the site you are referring to is a scam site one of the many that try to take advantage of people inputting the incorrect webaddress when their trying to reach the real website,

oh it's a .org address, I never heard of the site myself but it was referenced in a big article in theregister, I just assumed it was .com and was surprised to find the site was looking for money, guess that explains it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

anyone been able to get connectable eith eircom?

i have tried a few times but failed:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ronrar wrote: »
    anyone been able to get connectable eith eircom?

i have tried a few times but failed:(
    Yes. You are doing it wrong. What program are you using? What error do you get? Follow the guide on portforwarding.com and see how far you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have just moved from UTV to Chorus and Soulseek has stopped working.

The port I was using is now closed.

What do I need to do to sort this-have been reading about port forwarding and looks like I need to setup a static IP address?

I can't remember who set up the connection originally (whether it was me or one of my mates) but don't think I had a static IP setup for UTV?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 calmoo

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Have just moved from UTV to Chorus and Soulseek has stopped working.

The port I was using is now closed.

What do I need to do to sort this-have been reading about port forwarding and looks like I need to setup a static IP address?

I can't remember who set up the connection originally (whether it was me or one of my mates) but don't think I had a static IP setup for UTV?

Cheers
    This guide helped me alot.
    http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

madness!!! with utorrent you only need to open 1 port! you never turn off your firewall!!
    the whole idea of opening a port is to allow a program to bypass your firewall. i'm using a 1 mb eircom connection and my torrents max it out when they have enough seeds!! read the utorrent wiki and forward port properly(static ip etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

internal static ip not external!!
    not familiar with utv router but usually you open the routers web page(on eircom its http://192.168.1.254 and disable static ip. remember to write down (or cut and paste) the dns server addresses. Then configure your network connection to a static ip
    ie: in XP
    control panel => network connections => right click whatever connection you are using and pick properties then insert static ip (192.168.1.1) submet mask (255.255.255.0) gateway(192.168.1.254) and your dns numbers from above.
    ps. this must be done on all pc's on network (with different static ip for each)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I have my ports open and i check them now and again but sometimes they ome up closed even though i have not changed any of my setings

Im trying to run my torrents trough port 21 at the moment and that i now closed :confused:

Any idea's thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Is your IP Address changing ? If so you need a static IP address

You souldn't run torrents through port 21, merging this with P2P thread

Ya my IP Address changes ill look in to seting up a static Ip

Only reason i am trying to go out on port 21 as i would think that port would not be trottled

It just pi$$es me of that i was maing out my torrents a few weeks ago all the time now i am lucky to hit 10kb/s ive got torrent tuck in the same spot for the last 6-8 weeks :mad: when i should have them in less then a day

I have my ports open and i check them now and again but sometimes they ome up closed even though i have not changed any of my setings

Im trying to run my torrents trough port 21 at the moment and that i now closed :confused:

Any idea's thanks
    Why are you running torrents through the FTP port?

when i was going trough different ports they were showing up that i was not conatable even when the ports were open so i start useing port 21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Can anyone help me out here.

I just moved to UPC/NTL and have connected my PC directly to the cable modem instead of the router (was only getting 7mb with router, now getting 19 when direct).

However, since I did this my Azureus has stopped working.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it up and running again?

Many thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Anyone know if it's possible to tell apps which connection to use ?, I have a wireless connection but am also wired with a lan cable, could I tell bittorrent to use wireless and everything else to use wired ? is that possible ?

Advertisement